“Loved the Pool”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Corvallis
Salt Lake City Utah
“Loved the Pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

Came back to Corvallis with family to visit grandparents. Stayed at Salbasgeon when they first opened.
Still extremely nice hotel. Looks like they updated the breakfast to include sausage links and pancakes (yum).
Really liked the pool. It was large and very refreshing after being on the road all day. Would definately stay here again. Clean Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

It was OSU's graduation weekend and every hotel in town was fully booked, we had no choice but to book into this hotel. Don't let their nice web pictures fool you; the place is NOT that nice. There was a musty odor as soon as you walked in the lobby. There were oil and dirt stains on the carpet in the lobby and in the elevator.

My family and I stayed there on June 14 & 15 for my cousin's graduation. We probably had the worst room in the house as the water pipe ran right underneath the room which made very loud noise every half hour to 45 minutes. I was woken by the noise many times during the night so I went to talk to the front desk. As soon as I told the front desk staff about the noise, he knew exactly what it was and said that he would send someone to fix it. Later that day, I spoke with another front desk staff and he said that they were aware of the problem long ago and the problem could not be fixed as the pipes were too old. He offered to move us to another room and we took it.

On Sunday night, I went to settle the hotel bill for the two rooms (my parents and ours) as I didn't want my uncle to feel obligated to pay for our rooms since it was his daughter’s graduation. Sure enough, my uncle went to settle his hotel bill and he paid for two rooms (his and my parents’) instead of one. He then informed us that he had taken care of the room charges. Clearly the hotel was DOUBLE DIPPING!!! They charged me once and then they charged my uncle ONE MORE TIME for the same room. When I confronted the front desk staff about the issue, he admitted the error but he was not authorized to give any refunds. The refund could only be given by the hotel's general manager but she was not available until 9:00 am the next day. Since my uncle was taking the 10:00 am flight out, my family and I stayed behind to get the refund.

On June 16, I went to talk to Doreen, the general manager about the refund but she knew nothing about it. She acknowledged the problem but she did not apologize for the mistake (or perhaps they did it on purpose and see if they can get away with it). I felt that their accounting practices were unethical and their folios are a mess, their manager and staff has poor customer service and communication skills. You don't want to make the same mistake we did, DON'T STAY at the Salbasgeon Suites when you are in Corvallis. There are many good hotels in the area such as the Hilton, Best Western, Holiday Inn. By the way, they served a really cheap breakfast at the hotel and they shut everything down by 9:00 am. Can you believe it!!!

• Liked — Across the street from Starbucks
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank teri604
dcowan, General Manager at Comfort Suites of Corvallis, responded to this review, 30 June 2008
On behalf of Salbasgeon Suites and Conference Centers please accept our most sincere apologies. We regret that we were unable to provide you with the level of service we consistently strive to provide each and every one of our guests. We appreciate all input from our guests to take advantage of opportunities for improvement.
The carpets have been cleaned and we have a contractor assessing the pipe issue. I would like to take this opportunity to address the “Double Dipping” issue. Please understand this was human error only and as a ten year family owned business we do not conduct in such practices.
Our apologies again, for your unfavorable experience and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to replace the negative impression with a more positive one.
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2008

Our daughter attends Boise State University, and her gymnastics team was in town for a meet against Oregon State University. The team stayed at the host hotel, Salbasgeon Suites, who also hosted the after-meet banquet. The staff was so helpful and friendly, and the service was fantastic. The food was wonderful as well. They even included the parents! I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed March 2008
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

After moving away from Corvallis (where we lived for 10 years) my family and I occasionally return for visits. We have stayed at this hotel twice and were not satisfied either time. The only reason they got our business the 2nd time was that the Hilton was full!

Negatives:

Overpriced rooms are dark, dingy, and dated. In- room internet browsers did not work. Staff was extremely indifferent and unhelpful. Additional charge just to use the pull-out sofa. In-house dining is lousy. The hotel is located on the edge of a not-so-nice neighborhood.

Positives:

The rooms are large, centrally located in the town, plenty of places to eat nearby, free newspaper.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — lousy service from the staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank branmart
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

My mom and I stayed at Salbasgeon Suites during my transfer to Linn Benton Community College. This was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. After driving all day to get to Corvallis, we found the front desk staff very warm and friendly upon check in. They even made dinner reservations for us at the hotel restaurant. What surprised us the most was the size of thier standard Suite. Our room was huge! It had a separate living room area away from the beds. On the desk was an internet computer hooked up to free high speed. Both diner and the free breakfest were delicious. I wanted to swim in the indoor pool and use the sauna (but didn't bring a swim suit). My only complaint was that the elevator was down for maintenance upon checkout and had to haul ny luggage down a flight of stairs. Other than that our stay was perfect. Very clean hotel.

• Liked — Size of the rooms!
  • Disliked — Broken Elevator
  • Stayed June 2007
11 Thank YoungTravelor
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

My first visit to the Salbasgeon Suites came as a result of a referral from associates at OSU. This was in June of '06. I was suspicious of the hotel at first (not a national name) but booked a week anyway. I'm glad I took my associate's advice. Since the summer of '06, I've stayed at the Salbasgeon a total of 15 nights. Rooms are spacious, clean and contemporary. High speed wireless is consistenly fast. The food (full service restaurant) exceeds expectations. Free breakfast bar is REAL food. Immaculate indoor pool is available year 'round. But the clincher is this hotel's value - check the rates! Pride of ownership is apparent in this locally-owned and managed hotel.

• Liked — Value and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
11 Thank OSU_Visitor
Corvallis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2007

We have traveled up and down the I-5 corridor and have found nothing that compares with the Salbasgeon Suites of Corvallis. My wife and I live in Albany Oregon and I am a marriage pastor in Corvallis. We counsel couples from pre-marriage to hurting and from time to time we need to be refreshed. Our destination for refreshment is the Salbasgeon Suites of Corvallis. The rooms are exceptionally clean and spaceous. The service has always been excellent and the morning buffet breakfast has always been hot and delicious. We highly recommend the Salbasgeon Suites of Corvallis to our married couples for a romantic time away and from the reports we hear after their stay, they have been blessed with their time away.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple