“Worth the short drive off the freeway”
Review of El Tapatio

El Tapatio
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This is a relatively new restaurant that is part of a small family chain of restaurants on the West Coast of the U.S.
Sacramento, California
“Worth the short drive off the freeway”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We drive I-5 between Sacramento and Seattle more times than I can say. It seems that we are hungry about Cottage Grove but gave up stopping because there didn't seem to be anything beyond the usual "freeway exit" food. We recently took the quick drive into town to have lunch at El Tapatio after learning about it from a sister property in the Sacramento area. We were not disappointed. It is decorated nicely and the service was quick and friendly. The chimichanga and chili rellano combo hubby and I shared was very good and plenty for us both. Ask for the fresh homemade tortilla. They're yummy. The bathrooms were very clean. We now have a great place to stop in Cottage Grove.

Otis, Oregon
“Wow!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was one of the BEST Mexican meals I've ever enjoyed. The table-side guacamole prep. was fun and tasted spectacular. The carne asada was just about the best I've ever had and the service (from aptly named "Super" Mario) was a delight.

Eat at this beautifully constructed restaurant and do not miss the guacamole show.

• Visited June 2014
Eugene, Oregon
“Poor management (Margarita-manager) after reporting illness”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I have driven out to Cottage Grove from Eugene several times to have dinner at El Tapatio and have always enjoyed eating there. However, last night we ate there and found ourselves both ill and him vomiting in the early morning hours. I called the next day simply to inform them because I thought it was the right thing to do - the restaurant should be aware so they could take precautions to make sure that no one else gets sick. The manager, Margarita, was not in the first 2 times I called so I left our number for her to call back. She did call back and after I told her what happened, she immediately went into defense mode and talked so quickly I couldn't even get a word in. She also said that there was a virus going around and several of her employees were sick. I finally gave up talking to her and hung up. I thought about it and called back a little while later. I wanted to explain to her that we were not looking for anything-no refund--nothing--just SIMPLY wanted her to know so she could take precautions if needed. She was very unfriendly and hung up. What a poor manager!!!!!!!!! I hope the owner of this restaurant reads this. Maybe they need to hire someone with good customer skills??? Things that make you go hmmm.....

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Billie C C
Grants Pass, Oregon
“excellent food and service”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is our 2nd visit to Cottage Grove to bike and our 2nd visit to this wonderful restaurant. The service, again, was great. Any server passing by will assist you. The food was flavorful and nice sized portions.

• Visited May 2014
Cottage Grove, Oregon
“Our weekly habit”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Best service and Mexican food in Cottage Grove. Awesome bar with plenty of drink options. Large family style restaurant with huge platters of food. The salsa verde is the best.

Visited March 2014