“Funky for sure”

Backstage Bakery and Cafe
Portland
“Funky for sure”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This restaurant is part bakery, part cafe and part bookstore, all plunked down in the southern Willamette Valley, on a side street is a small town. The food is good, served in moderate portions. The only real downside was the flies in the dining area, which were a true distraction. I got a bagel to go and that was a smart move. This is one of those times when I wish Trip Advisor gave the option of awarding 1/2 dots, because the Backstage Bakery is probably closer to a 3.5 than a 4, but I'll err on the positive side.

• Visited August 2014

Left Coast
“A gem and lucky find”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

A gem and backed up to the Axe & Fiddle. The two share the same dining area and are open to the funky bookstore next door. This place really seems like it would be a better fit for Eugene than Cottage Grove. We stumbled across it by accident and are glad we did.
The kitchen is small and menu is limited, but it is also very good. Excellent salads to choose from, great sandwiches, but if you want more of a gut-buster, their gravy is special and in particular a menu item I think called the “porky pig.”
If this place were closer to my home I would go there more often than I should.
**Note - you enter from the side street during the day. Find the Ace & Fiddle and look around the corner for the door.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank inog
“One lucky little find.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Me mother and I happened by chance to stop off in Cottage Grove in search of lunch and stumbled upon this great little cafe. Locally and family owned, friendly folks and great/speedy service. I am writing my review before I have even tried their food, but I am going to trust that it is good eats. So... Overall I am very impressed by this quaint little place and will definitely be coming back.

• Visited June 2014
Eugene
“Breakfast”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Had a great breakfast! Quick service and the food was excellent! Got some cinnamon rolls fresh from the oven on our way out.... Will be going back!!

Beaverton
“Small Town Gem”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped at this bakery quite by chance not realizing that we had stumbled into such an interesting find. The bakery itself is an almost hidden door an a side street. It is quite literally backstage because the bakery connects to a cafe and bookstore which face the main street. From 4 PM onward the front section is the Ax and Fiddle Pub which does host performances.

Food prepared in the bakery is served in this front portion during the morning and early afternoon. We did not eat a meal so I can't speak to the quality of the food, but I can say that it is prepared in the shop and looked good as it was being taken into the cafe part.

We ordered a pastries and coffee which were all delicious. The lemon poppy seed scone was wonderfully moist but not overly rich and retained the biscuit like texture a scone should have. I have noticed in some places that scones have become much more cake like. This one was perfect. The day we were there, rugelach were also a part of the offerings and we couldn't resist. These had been filled with a chocolate hazelnut spread and were the perfect treat with the rich coffee.

The staff was small town friendly and it was obvious in the time we spent there that this is a very popular local haunt. The attached cafe and bookstore lend a wonderful feel and the building itself is an historic structure worth a stop. Just as a bonus, the bakery is a gem as well.

• Visited May 2014