“Great camping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dayville
Fish House Inn and RV Park
Melbourne, Australia
“Great camping”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night to explore John Day fossil beds. Called ahead but reservations for camping not necessary. Given a grassy spot under a tree, with picnic table, near bathrooms. Owner friendly as was his dog. There was a very cute, fluffy cat too!

Wifi good. Bathrooms clean and never had to wait. The camping was relaxing and enjoyable. Great value too at $15 for a tent.

Dayville was a sweet town- rhubarb pie from the restaurant was delicious. Also a house in village sells cage free eggs.

Would visit again as one of better campsites in our 6 weeks of camping.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Melbournep2005

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed in the RV park section three nights and were very pleased with the whole experience. We found the laundry and bathrooms very clean. The grounds are like a little oasis in the area during the summer. Local people are very friendly and the area very quiet.
Parking spaces are very big and surrounded with well kept lawn and trees.
Facilities owner very friendly and accomidating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank William T
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 23 June 2013

They took our names--no credit card necessary--and held a room for us. We showed up late, and they were totally cool. We got the last room left--the Seaside. My son and I loved it--cozy, quaint, nicely decorated, comfortable. It was a shared bath--and that was no problem. We only shared with one other room, and we only ran into the guy over coffee in the morning. I would stay here again. This would be the perfect place to hold a family reunion.

Room Tip: All of the upstairs rooms were nice. Field and Stream and Seaside were the quaintest--each had a lit...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Payette, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We stayed in the Salmon Suite of The Cottage and had a nice quiet night in a clean room. We dealt with Mike for our reservations and check-in and got to meet a lovely golden retriever. Mike showed us to our room and advised us to keep the door closed to exclude mosquitoes. Had we not met our neighbors in The Cottage as we checked in we probably would not have known that anyone was staying in the adjoining room. With the air conditioner going most of the night we missed any noises they may have made and they were already out by the time we packed up and left our room.

The Salmon Suite has a lovely old claw-foot bathtub - but no obvious plug for the tub. I didn't notice this early enough to ask Mike for a plug, so my much anticipated soak in the tub was not to be.

The room was a few feet smaller than we expected, but the bathroom was a comfortable size. The bed was just almost too tall for me to climb into without a step-stool. Everything was clean, though the towels were showing signs of aging. We had a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a coffee-pot. There were also water cups, coffee cups, paper plates, and cutlery for any eating we might have chosen to do. All of the magazines were very old, so bring your own reading material if you are picky about this kind of thing. I enjoyed reading about plants and gardening - that sort of thing hasn't changed much in the last 5 years.

If this were my own property I would have hemmed the shower curtains and the window tie-backs because they are all showing signs of wear. However, they were completely usable and clean, so I'm just observing, not complaining.

I am very glad that I had checked this place out on TripAdvisor prior to booking our room so we went there with plenty of food for our evening meal and were ready to check out the local cafe for breakfast. We ate at the Dayville Cafe to the northwest of the Fish Inn and across the street from the Mercantile. We had great service at the Cafe and were able to get a delicious meal in very little time - even though I have to be careful to avoid gluten. I know that we did not make good use of our stay or explore the town or the wider environs nearly enough, but we had a good time and it met all of our requirements. I recommend it to anyone else looking for a nice place with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Rooms in The Cottage are probably the best for those with trouble climbing stairs - only two shallow...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucinda S
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Three years ago, I wanted to surprise my husband with a trip to the Spray Rodeo for his birthday on Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, by the time I tried to book our trip, the hotel in Spray was full. Fortunately, I stumbled onto the Fish House Inn and RV Park website. We booked the Main House and had a wonderful time! The house was quaint and adorable, the grounds were impeccably kept, and we took full advantage of the grill.

We've since gone every year, renting more and more of the property! I know for a fact there is ONE vacancy left for this year's Memorial Day weekend, so get on it!

Room Tip: The rooms in the cottage offer a little more privacy, plus claw-foot tubs!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Portland
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We were on a budget vacation and wanted a place to stay near the John Day Fossil Beds, and the Fish House Inn was great. We booked the Seaside Room in the attic, but Mike kindly upgraded us to the Field & Stream room for the same price, so we had a private bath. We had brought dinner in our cooler, and we enjoyed it on the deck outside the attic under the cherry tree. The Inn was clean, comfortable, and friendly. We appreciated the fridge on the deck and the coffee maker. For the same price as a budget motel which would normally look out on a parking lot and highway, we got a quiet, beautiful, park-like setting, a comfortable room with personality, a deck, and 2 friendly golden retrievers for company.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan F
Oregon
Reviewed 5 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Salmon room. It had a small refrig, microwave, coffee maker & coffee, claw foot tub, wifi, and a small table for two. It was too cold to eat outside though we used the grill for cooking. Nice grounds and we were treated to some home grown tomatoes. If you plan on cooking, bring plates and utensils. The room shares a wall with another unit, but it was very quiet.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank ORhiker

Been to Fish House Inn and RV Park? Share your experiences!