“#1 if money is no object”
Review of Whale Cove Inn

Whale Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Saskatoon, Canada
“#1 if money is no object”
Reviewed 3 April 2010

This is a fantastic little Inn/boutique hotel on highway 101 just North of Newport Oregon, location and the restaurant are excellent, but both are overpriced, the room was listed at $395, which is ridiculous, the front desk person let us have the room for $225, and since we were tired and hungry, and had been looking for a clean place for a few hours we agreed, but I would not stay at this place regularly, it’s just way too much money, even at our "discounted" price of $225. Hotels in the area are in the $40 to $80 range, this place should be no more than $125 for off season, and $200 for high season (I am being very generous), even the owners suite is available for $600 per night, but I suspect they never get that much, only possibly in very high season when everything is completely full in the area, I bet they only rent that suite out a few times per year. In this economy, if I was the owner, I would rather generate income by lowering my prices to a reasonable amount (and still make a good profit), which would mean a lot more income, when we stayed here we were the only guests in an 8 room Inn, of course it’s spring semi off season, but there are a lot of travellers at this time of the year and the selection in the area is pathetic, but even with that considered it’s only worth $50-$60 more than other places in the area in the low season and maybe $100 more in high season per night in my opinion. Our total cost for one night and one restaurant meal (breakfast was included in the room price) was $350, very few people can pay that much for 1 night, and most would never pay that much. Lowering the prices would bring my wife and I back at least 2 times per year for 3 or so days at a time, but only for well under $200 per night in high season and under $130 in low season (hint hint!!!)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kleeottorogers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 January 2010

If you are looking for a nice hotel along your route along the Oregon coast, then the Whale Cove Inn is a nice treat. The rooms are very nice - seemed very above average for the area - but my husband and I both felt that they were just a bit on the cold side. Not literally cold as in temperature, but just cold feeling in general. The views were absolutely phenomenal - you could not beat that. We spent so much time on our deck just taking it all in and trying to see whales, but unfortunately to no avail. The rooms are definitely upgraded and nice.

My one complaint, if you would call it that, is that you feel a bit on your own at this property. The front desk manager is there for limited hours during the day, and after that, they lock you in and leave. You feel almost like you aren't supposed to be there if you walk around the property. That was OK for my husband and I, as I was pregnant and just wanting to take it easy, but it had its mild "creepy" feeling being there so alone.

Again, very nice property. We'd stay there again if we were driving the coast, but don't expect to be blown away by the ambience. Very nice rooms and views - that's about all I can say.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brooke103
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I'm a lifelong Oregonian, and remember passing by the 'old' Whale Cove Inn many times. That was a nice, but pretty standard motel, with a great view. The new WCI is amazing! My wife and I received a 1 night stay as a wedding gift - one of the best gifts we received.

The rooms are equal to any hotel I've experienced, and the staff was very accommodating. We walked into a gorgeous room, with the sound of the surf crashing below, the music soft and mellow, and the fireplace glowing. To top that, a soak in the jacuzzi tub on the private balcony was the perfect way to wind down a long day of whale watching and sight seeing on the coast.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Coeur D'Alene
Reviewed 4 December 2009

First, my wife and I were disappointed that again this year we had to cancel our plans for a vacation. Then we discussed the option of staying in the NW (We're from Idaho) and we decided to find the best place on the Oregon / Washington Coast to slow down, "drop out," and breathe.
We found it...the Whale Cove Inn in Depoe Bay.
The location overlooks Whale Cove, right on the water, about 2 miles south of the bridge in Depoe Bay. Not only were we blown away with the oceanfront views but we were happy to find ourselves conveniently half way between Lincoln City to the north and Newport to the south. The Whale Cove Inn has views to die for, decor of a 5 Star hotel, and the intimacy of a european Inn. Downstairs, at Restaurant Beck, the food is prepared with a level of care and perfection that would rival any dining offered in the NW Region.
Whale Cove Inn offers unparalleled ocean views, private hot tubs, world class decor, and a value that is spot on for getting away without paying too much. Without question, Whale Cove Inn is the finest boutique Inn in the Pacific Northwest. We highly recommend anyone considering a mini-vacation on the Oregon Coast to book their stay at Whale Cove Inn. Those who do, will not be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Barton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2009

On a road trip from Seattle to San Francisco we decided that we would have one luxury stay. Whale Cove Inn provided 2 nights of luxury and relaxation on our hectic trip. With only 8 rooms all with spectacular views of the Pacific, this is probably one of the best boutique hotels I have stayed at in the US. Whilst we were checking in we were told that there was a whale actually in the cove and to leave everything to go and see the whale. The restaurant Becks is run as a separate business and you have to pay for your dinner and drinks rather than add the tab to your room. You need to book your table early as they get very busy especially towards the weekend. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative point I have with Whale Cove Inn was the WiFi, which was free, but very limited as to where it worked.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank medhum
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I can honestly say that is is one of the best places we have ever stayed. Located right on Pacific Coast Highway 101, the modern, upscale room was awesome! It had a spectacular view from our balcony's hot tub and the bedding was so luxurious and comfortable that it was hard to get ouf of in the morning. The staff and general manager went way out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed during our 4 day stay. After a wonderful breakfast downstairs, we would set out for a new adventure. Traveling east to wine country, (love the Pinot Noir) or south to the Devil's Punch Bowl and Sea Lions caves. We will never forget the beautiful sunsets and will definetely return to a place that has our hearts!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lspina
Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Ok, I'm not one to dish out perfect reviews about ANYTHING. BUT I would have to say this is close to THE BEST if not THE BEST hotel I have ever stayed at in my 30 yrs of travel. The rooms are exquisite the views are fabulous the bed was wonderful, the staff is there but not there in your face. I would rate this hotel 5 across the board. I will say we got lucky that the weather was perfect for this area of Oregon but I can't imagine a more beautiful place to sit and view a rainy day or a raging storm than the Whale Cove Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Inn at Arch Rock
Inn at Arch Rock
#3 of 7 in Depoe Bay
Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort

Been to Whale Cove Inn? Share your experiences!