“ashes at sea”

Tradewinds Charters
Ranked #6 of 17 things to do in Depoe Bay
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Did an ashes at sea charter, it was short. Not sure what we were expecting, but it was pretty much go out for 10 minutes, stop for five, and head back to the marina. Second time we've used tradewinds for something- a couple summers ago we used them for a bottom fishing experience. Kind of surprised the captain was iffy about giving the kids some life jackets even though they weren't going to be remotely close to danger.. just not a bad idea. Always cordial to us and never had any issues as others have stated. Wouldn't think of using any other fishing company for our trips to sea.

There are newer reviews for Tradewinds Charters

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

This was the cheapest charter we found along the Oregon coast, maybe because they can hold up to 22ppl. We did just the bottom fishing package and went out on the early morning trip. There was a coffee shop open early for food and coffee and the charter also offers free coffee on the boat. The captain and skipper were knowledgeable, funny and helpful. If fish weren't biting we moved to a new spot and had successful results. I recommend taking and bringing motion-sickness meds because the waves can be big and will make your stomach turn. At the end of the trip you can have your catch filleted for $1 per fish. We also saw a grey whale coming back into the harbour.

1  Thank Laugan W
Reviewed 17 August 2014

One of the most memorable fishing charters I've ever had; better even than the Halibut trip I took out of Valdez, AK. Boated 71 albacore; crew was knowledgeable, friendly, professional, and handled all the logistics well. The costs were reasonable and although there were 13 fishermen on the trip, the big Kadaho had plenty of room for all and it did not feel crowded. Of course, when five tuna are on the lines at once, we all did the 'Tuna Dance'. Boated all five, too!

2  Thank Joe A
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Well I really don't know what these other bad reviews are all about.Depoe Bay Tradewinds Charter is Awesome!Well for the past 3 years I've been going to beautiful Eugene Oregon with my Girl to Visit her Parents &
Each time I have gone fishing out of Tradewinds Charter first time back in Sept
2012 went on the Season with captin Dustin on an 8hr.Coho.Salmon & bottom fishing got limits Then Sept 2013 Coho Salmon & bottom Fishing on the Mr Max
Got limits and I even came out on there website the captin brad took my picture holding my catch it was awesome! Well I just recently went in April 2014 on a 6hr. Bottom fishing & crabing got limits of Lincod.& crabs it was great the weather was in the upper 80s Now I will be going again in Sept for Salmon & bottom fishing trip well im counting the days I just love this place just look at my posted picture of my catch simply memorable thanks Depoe.Bay Tradewinds Charters captain & crew for making my fishing trips awesome .This is a higher than a five star place
See you soon!

1  Thank Edgar H
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The fishing here tends to be better than in Newport. The staff is short on customer service. I got a surprise on cost which is never good. There is no discount for kids.
I also got a surprise on my type of fishing trip. I asked for salmon fishing with and ended up on a boat with 16 fishermen trying to troll and only 8 traps for 16 fishermen. Only the 8 in the back of the boat caught anything. It was a real poor experience for the other 8 and not great for the people in the back of the boat, either. If they are going to jam that many people onto a boat, they should warn you before making the reservation.
In summary, usually the fishing is pretty good. The reservation staff needs to be replaced or beaten until they learn some customer service skills.

1  Thank John L