“A lot of "little things" turned into a BIG disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Channel House

Channel House
Ranked #2 of 7 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Monroe, Washington
“A lot of "little things" turned into a BIG disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

After spending lots of time trying to find a place to stay, I decided to try the Channel House. It was more expensive than I was wanting to spend, but the website made it look fabulous, so I thought it would be worth it. Oh man, I was wrong! The staff was over-the-top with the tour, he literally showed us how to use the TV remote (on and off button), it made me feel like I was a child.
We stayed in the Whale Watcher Room (#3). Do not be fooled by the pictures on the website, there is a HUGE pole right in the middle of the view! If I was looking out the window and looked to the left, I would have a great view of the other people staying here. The tub on the balcony is not very private either (I am glad I brought a swim suit!!). As I was turning on the water, I looked down and saw another person taking sunset pictures and then they turned and looked up right at me-NO PRIVACY!
The bathroom is a joke. The shower is tiny, my husband barely fit in it. I felt a little claustrophobic while showering. Whenever you use the water, or anyone else around you, you would hear the water running very loudly for a few minutes after turning it off. It is annoyingly loud when it wakes you up in the middle of the night.
There is no microwave, plate ware, or silverware. Just overpriced wine, coffee, water, and semi-hard cookies. I had to eat left overs from a local place using coffee stirrers as chopsticks.
The "hearty continental breakfast" was something you would expect from some average hotel. Cereal, a few pastries, waffles, fruit (not even fresh fruit!), and Tillamook yogurt. I was hoping the breakfast would have made up for all the other little disappointments, but it just threw me over the top!
Considering the price we paid each night, I would think they would fix things wrong with the room. There were blinds that were cracked, a hole in the bathroom door, tub on the deck leaked, and worn bedding.
The housekeeping was mediocre. Some items were not replaced, there was some things not straightened up, and we didn't get new robes. I had to go down just before they closed the front desk and got some robes (they didn't even have the rope to keep them closed).
I can see this place being at the top of its game a few years ago, but you can clearly see that corners were being cut. This place can be so much more and has the potential to be excellent. I would recommend updating fixtures - allow for light dimming. Make the balconies more private. Provide a better breakfast. Until that happens, we will not be returning and pay the same price. For what it is now, I would say cut the price in half then it would be worth it!

Room Tip: Get a top floor so you have privacy on the balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank maria s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed at the Channel House for the first time as a belated Valentines Gift to my husband. It was a wonderful experience. Sonya gave us a tour of our room, which was the "Suite Salt Air".
We added the wine package to our stay and there was even fresh homemade cookies waiting for our arrival. We didn't realize it was the Newport Seafood and Wine Festival weekend and needless to say we had no idea where to eat for dinner. No problem Sonya said, she called over to the sister house "The Whale Cove Inn" and booked us a reservation.

We did the Chef choice of a 5-course meal and it was spectacular. Then we spent some time in the Jacuzzi tub watching the lights on the boats at sea. The next morning we woke up to a little noise in the kitchen so, we headed right out our door to the breakfast nook. What a wonderful spread. Fresh warm pastries, lots of fruit and plenty of juices. We will definitely come back and for sure tell all are friends and family. Wait a minute. Maybe we won't say a word and keep the channel house all to ourselves.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mosier, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was our first stay and we absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters (Room #2) which is on the top floor overlooking the cannel. The room was perfectly sized for the two of us and the service was top notch. The room was separated into four areas, the bedroom, living area, bathroom and the covered porch with a jacuzzi tub. We stayed in the winter and during the heart of a huge storm. The ability to sit in the hot tub and be mostly sheltered from the weather but still be outside and able to see the waves pounding the entrance to the Depoe Bay channel was breathtaking. The breakfast was perfect and we especially enjoyed the fact that it is a small property with that "homey" feel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Knk R
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We are not superstitious in any way, so staying in suite #13 on Friday the 13th was nothing but good luck for us. It's in the Allyn house 5 doors south of the main Channel House. Very spacious, great view from the many windows as well as the wrap around deck. We saw bright lights from the ships way out on the horizon every evening. Large living area with couch, flat screen TV, gas fireplace. Also the small round table with 2 chairs next to the corner windows by the small fridge and coffee maker (no microwave). Nicely decorated. 2 cookies in a small sack were left for us on the coffee table but they were so hard and burned they became bird food. The next day 2 more cookies were left which were slightly better. The bed was comfortable with triple sheeting, and another flat screen TV in the bedroom. The bathroom was huge, well heated and good lighting. The large, deep soaking tub was big enough for the whole family. There is a Jacuzzi tub on the deck where you can sit and watch the ocean, but in December we were not willing to brave the cold. Maybe a few years ago, but I'd rather sit by the fire and watch the waves if it's cold out these day.
We parked our car and never moved till it was time to leave. Everything in Depoe Bay is within walking distance from the Channel House.
Breakfast is available every morning from 8-10 at the Channel House. Denise serves up a variety of Breakfast Breads, croissants, tarts, coffee cakes.....you name it. There are also hard boiled eggs, Tillamook yogurt, cottage cheese and a variety of fresh fruits. Toaster ready waffles, English muffins, breads, and anything you would wish to top them with. Plus several varieties of juices, coffee, tea and hot chocolate and cider.
There is Wi-Fi in the Channel House, but if your up the street at the Allyn House, there is no Wi-Fi. For this my hubby was grateful. We were able to completely relax and enjoy this get-a-way to celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary. Don't know how that happened, we are still 18 in our brains. I can't vouch for the other rooms as I did not see them, but ours was very spacious and we were in no way cramped. Every one was very pleasant at the Channel House. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Red Lodge, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is an adequate place but not for the rates they charge.
The pros: on the water with two chairs outside the sliding glass doors/a very nice breakfast made on site served in a room overlooking the water
The cons: Our room had a small couch and living area but most room areas were so cramped it was difficult to move. There was room for one bedside table as the other bedside was right up against the bathroom door. A ridiculous bathroom with a toilet and prefab shower stall, the bathroom door has a slider because you would not be able to open a door into the bathroom, as it was when you opened the shower door you had to stand to the side by the toilet. A Holiday Inn bathroom would look like a palace compared to this. The sink is in the room -right up against the foot of the bed.
Tired furniture and decorating and on the ceiling a huge water stain. This accommodation is over priced .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pollyruth
Bend
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have stayed at the Channel House Inn on several occasions over the last few years, so were disappointed on a recent visit that it had not been kept up to the previous levels. Perhaps there are some renovations plans in the works - and if so - the old fashioned bedspreads should be the first to go. Especially since the beds are small (more like a double than a queen size) A duvet cover would make a huge improvement. The location is wonderful - we love to watch the boats go in and out of the narrow channel. The breakfast is adequate - but not outstanding. The customer service is great - everyone we met there was friendly and helpful. The deck/outdoor jacuzzi tub are fabulous - private but with great views of the ocean, and of the stars at night. Alas won't go back until we know some maintenance and changes have been made.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leaf p
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Wow! What a breath taking view!! This is a really special place. & have I mentioned the spaciousness, fantastic breakfast, & yes..... The view!
The location is great, as we could walk everywhere. We lucked out and happened to be there at a time that a salmon bake a la American Indian style was taking place---an added treat! We would definitely stay there again.
As far as rooms go; they are all different, so choose what fits your needs & budget. At the time that I booked, my choices were limited. I booked The Galley, which used to be the owners suite/apt. It has pros & cons, but the privacy & view for us were unbeatable. I am sure some of the other rooms could possibly be even better---outdoor hot tubs, & covered balconies. Really cool place!

• Stayed September 2013
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,552 reviews
Inn at Arch Rock
Inn at Arch Rock
#3 of 7 in Depoe Bay

Been to Channel House? Share your experiences!