“See the museum and go out in a Zodiac to see the whales that stay here during the summer!”

Whale, Sea Life and Shark Museum
Ranked #7 of 16 things to do in Depoe Bay
Portland, Oregon
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Carrie is passionate about her museum, whale tours and the people who she serves. You can't go wrong if you book a whale tour with her. She is highly qualified and has the knowledge and books she has written about Oregon Coast sea life, in particular the Depoe Bay resident whales
to illustrate how much she cares. Her story about how she followed her dream to being a marine
biologist is worth reading.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank dragonfly788

Hanoi
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I live in Newport and have a boat and friends with boats. My friend from Florida was visiting and we went on this tour (I like playing tourist once in a while). We had a fantastic time. The boats are great (6 seat Zodiac type) and offer great opportunities for photography and whale watching. Carrie is probably the most knowledgeable whale person on the Oregon coast and her enthusiasm and love for them is infectious. The cost was incredibly reasonable ($40 for 1.5 hours). Also, her dog is really fun to be with and watch. Even though I could do this from my own boat, I will probably go on this tour many more times as I want to be to be sure to find whales and Carrie is with them everyday. I could not recommend this tour enough. Great for everyone and the staff are great.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank I_PhotoHanoi
Seattle
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We loved the museum. We've visited similar sized museums in other cities and this was the best. Loved the videos, especially about the exploding whale , and the docent answered our dozens of questions with knowledge and patience.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Excellent museum - wonderful whale watching”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Carry has done an incredible job with this museum. The exhibits are interesting and easily accessible to even the littlest of visitors (our 15 month old!). You can see her passion for her work in it all. I like the museum especially because it's small enough that your interest is maintained throughout. We also went whale watching. Our guide was so informative and really patient with us and our screaming kid. (by the way, I would recommend not taking a 15 month old on the trip - she hated the life jackets because I wasn't able to really hold and snuggle with her like she wanted - but she did sleep for a portion of the tour). We got to see a couple different whales. Our guide also took us around to a couple different bays including one with a beautiful water fall and seals lounging around. I feel like we got so much more than we paid for on this trip.

Austin, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Very well done”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had the pleasure of visiting this museum before setting out on a whale watching trip. The exhibits covered all kinds of sea life, and packed a lot of information into a relatively small space. We especially enjoyed there being a few "touch" items, to satisfy the curiosity of kids and adults alike. The museum was working on a new coastal diorama, so it should be even better in the coming months. The museum also has a small theater with some good videos on whales. In all, a stop worth making for both adults and older kids.