“VERY nice for the money!”

Travelodge Depoe Bay
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The room was really clean and had the best view of all the hotels that I've stayed in over the past 9 years after retiring from the Air Force. The managers were extremely friendly and very nice.

I have two complaints though:

1) The road noise. I understand that there's nothing to be done about this, but it needs to be mentioned as it often (during the day anyway) drowns out the sound of the waves (when there are any) crashing on the rocks! Hey, when you go to the beach THAT'S to be expected!

2) The rooms don't have AC! I understand, it's Oregon and it doesn't get THAT hot (most of the time) at the beach. BUT, when it does and you need fresh, cool air to sleep at night, then you have to open the windows (in this case a sliding glass door). Problem: I'm a NON-SMOKER and the room next door is a SMOKING room and since the rooms have balconies, the smokers go out there smoke and it wafts into the adjoining room (OURS)!

It was my understanding that since Oregon passed that no smoking in public places, mainly buildings, that it also included Hotels. Maybe it's voluntary, I don't know, BUT putting smoking next to non-smoking rooms isn't cool!

We had a chain smoker in the room next to us and it was BAD!

However, other than those two things, it was a VERY NICE room!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rckraft

Reviewed 2 March 2010

Having stayed at the sister property in Lincoln City we wanted to try Depoe Bay. I made the reservations and asked a few questions in advance regarding rehab etc. Satisfied that this property was well maintained I booked in for 2 nights, requesting the 3rd floor. Normally pets are not allowed on the 3rd floor but the manager made an exception after my assurance that Bella was a well behaved dog.
Our room was very clean and more than adequate space. We had 2 Queen beds, a table with 2 chairs, dresser area with TV and mini fridge and coffee maker. The gas fireplace was a nice extra and the view was just unbelievable!
The property has an elevator, ice maker and vending machines. It is a short stroll to the main shops and restaurants. There is a bit of traffic noise but that is a given when you stay on 101 no matter how much you pay for that room.
Parking is off street and ample.
Staff was very friendly, a smile and a nod every time I walked by the office area on my way to walk Bella. Housekeeping was excellent.
Do not hesitate to book in to this property and enjoy your stay at Depoe Bay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tlgilbert
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Have stayed here on numerous trips. The location and view cannot be beat, rooms are excellent and cozy with fireplaces, staff are all great and all this at great prices. Walking distance to anywhere in town.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The service was good and the staff was friendly. We didn't get our room cleaned every day and had to ask for extra towels and toilet paper. The rooms were pretty clean and the hotel was located on the main road, so we had lots of road noise. I would have preferred to stay in a hotel that you could hear the ocean waves crash into the rocks. However the view they have is really nice and the prices were reasonable. I would recommend it to a friend if they were looking for a good deal and some of the other places were booked up. I think we'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I am not to sure about the bad reviews on this place. We have stayed here more than 5 times and have never ever had a problem. My parents usually come with us and stay in their own room, like I said never a problem. The rooms are very clean. The "breakfast" is weak, true, but we dont usually eat at the hotel anyway. I cant say enough about the staff, they go out of their way for the guest! The hotel is right off the highway so there is some noise, but at night the hotel is extremely quiet. There is almost no traffic but you can definitely hear the waves- just beautiful. During the day you can sit on the balcony and watch all the people go by or walk a block to look for whales and to shop. It is very comfortable, very homey, although the carpet is getting a bit worn. The prices are more than reasonable. All in all this place is really great for us, however if you are accustomed to really elegant hotels this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank marescmm
Reviewed 20 August 2009

As other reviewers have pointed out, this is not the nicest hotel or motel on the Oregon Coast. The room had some updated features and was well laid out, but our nonsmoking room had burned-up, not-too-clean-looking bedding, thin walls, and noticeable highway traffic even on the 3rd floor. The continental breakfast was the saddest I have had, just some half muffins and coffee. However, the view is really very pretty. You don't just see and smell the ocean but have a nice vantage point. I enjoyed looking at boats and trees and watching the light change on the water.

I thought that the price of this room was similar to that of a nicer O. Coast room without the ocean view, not a nice room with the nice view, so it was a wash. My companion really liked the trade-off and would give this 4 stars, probably.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed here one night on a 6 night trip through Oregon. I wanted to see whales and crashing surf, hence our stop in Depoe Bay. I wanted a full on ocean view and a room with a balcony to enjoy it. I agonized for weeks on whether to stay at the Crown Pacific or at Channel House. Ultimately, we decided to stay here and save the extra $200 that we would have spent at Channel House. I am so glad that we did! I requested a 3rd floor room and the view was outstanding. There were some trees across the street, but nothing to keep you from enjoying the view. You barely noticed the traffic from 101 below. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. The small refrigerator was a nice touch and allowed us to keep the microbrews that we bought at the gas station down the street cold. It is right across from Tidal Raves. The manager was friendly enough and accommodated our third floor, nonsmoking request with no problem. The breakfast in the morning wasn't much, just juice, coffee, hot chocolate, and muffin halves. There was a sign posted that said by Oregon state law they weren't allowed to serve any other food. No big deal, but I wouldn't stay here based on the free breakfast. If we ever some back to the Oregon coast, I would stay here with no hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Surftides Lincoln City
Surftides Lincoln City
#8 of 35 in Lincoln City
Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort

Been to Travelodge Depoe Bay? Share your experiences!