“Best part of our 10-day vacation!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Depoe Bay
Pana Sea Ah Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Oh my goodness. What a fabulous find. After searching and researching and reading reviews, we chose Pana-Sea-Ah as our B&B of choice (partly because of the clever and fitting name!) and we were extremely and pleasantly surprised at how perfect everything was! Our initial experience with a B&B in 1991 in a completely different state was so horrible that we vowed never to trust one again. But Bob put our minds at ease, except now we believe we can't go to any other place because we'll never find another that is this PERFECT! From the moment Bob answered the door, we knew we were going to have the best accommodations as he is so welcoming and pleasant. The house is immaculate, the rooms are quiet and beautifully furnished, and we especially enjoyed the privacy of the hot tub, the fresh-baked goodies and wine waiting for us, and the view of the Oregon beach as we watched the eagles soar at sunset. On our way back to Wisconsin, my husband and I were asking each other to name the top three parts of our trip (which was difficult to narrow down because everything about our journey to the NW was great.) We both put our stay at Pana-Sea-Ah right at the top! Oh, and the breakfast of chili cheese quiche, fresh fruit, chicken mango sausage, and Bob's homemade muffins was scrumptious. We enjoyed the company of the other 2 couples from BC and Portland, too. Everything about the place was exquisite! Thank you, Bob, for a marvelous stay. Your two dogs are so precious! We really enjoyed talking with you & would have loved to have had more time to chat. Till next time...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pana Sea Ah Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband & I stayed three nights this week to kick off a much needed holiday. Bob & Mary's warm hospitality and Bob's great skills in the kitchen made this a very memorable time. We had the good fortune to meet and greet several couples from different parts of the US and enjoyed discovering our common interests. Sharing experiences of local places enriched our experience and fuelled our desire to return to this most lovely corner of the Oregon Coast. A gem it is!
Our room was immaculate, well appointed and the B & B is located very close to wonderful beachfront. The ocean and the wonderful aroma from the kitchen are a delight to the senses.
A"10" in our book!

1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I assume most of the people reading this will be drawn to this B&B like we were; because of the great ratings and reviews. My wife and I chose this as our first honeymoon destination after a week of being married (couldn't get work off yet). Like the title mentions, we found it to be a great balance between what we were looking for and pleasant surprises.

First off, my wife has a gluten allergy and while finding gluten-free food is getting easier lately, finding ones that don't sacrifice on taste is rare. Bob (the innkeeper/owner) assured us before arriving that he would take care of it, and we were not disappointed. Two mornings of delicious, to say the least, breakfasts as well as a constant supply of baked goods for snacks throughout the day certainly started our days off right. Coupled with their advice on local cuisine (Jack's weekend prime rib special is a must!) food was no longer a chore but a delight.

We stayed two nights, one with another couple at the B&B and the other night on our own. Bob was present during the morning to prepare breakfast and socialize but the rest of the time we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Our room (The Pacific) offered a great bed view of the ocean sights and sounds and the bathroom jacuzzi, shower, etc. were wonderful with ocean views as well. The place is located on a hillside so while there is a row of houses between you and the beach, there are no blocked views or chances for people peering in windows. The entire building was spotless but still warm and inviting. They also keep a stock of some 200+ dvd's to watch in your room and other entertainment as well in the common areas.

Beach access is about 1 house away and if you feel like driving anywhere the B&B is located right between Lincoln City and Depoe Bay. If you are needing groceries however, there is a very nice Thriftway within walking distance.

As this was our first experience with a B&B I am glad we started off on the right foot. Pana Sea Ah is very well run, entertaining yet relaxing and we will definitely be back in the future. If you are looking for a care free couples' weekend, I would start here.

Room Tip: The Pacific Room has its own Jacuzzi tub, I am not sure about the others. Otherwise there is a comm...
1  Thank AdamPlusKayla
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband & I stayed one night this week to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. Bob was more than accommodating & hospitable with gifts we'd sent ahead. The house is immaculate and beautiful. We stayed in the pacific room and it was great! I can't forget to mention the breakfast bob cooked the next morning, it was amazingly delicious! If you're uncertain about where to stay on the Oregon coast, look no further. Thanks again Bob!!
V/r,
Jen & Aaron Bean

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank JEM3232
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is a very difficult review to write. My partner and I, who live in Portland, have been visiting Panaseah for about 10 years, and it had become our home away from home on the Oregon Coast, having many times celebrated birthdays, anniversaries, and nothing-in-particular weekends there. I was very proud of the fact that I first reviewed Panaseah on this site in July, 2007, giving it a glowing, outstanding review. We were under the impression that, through the years, Bob and Mary, the innkeepers/owners, had become our friends, but now it seems that nothing coud be farther from the truth.

Our most recent 2-night stay was in May, 2012, and visiting with us were my 2 best business clients who have become close friends and my 89-year old father with his 84-year old bride, who had spent their honeymoon at Panaseah last September. Several times over the years, we have rented the whole house and brought friends and/or family to share a wonderful Oregon Coast weekend.

I knew Bob, the owner, was extremely volatile and incapable of self-control over his temper regarding political opinions that differ from his own (he is an extreme right-wing conservative). Before I had known this, he and I had a discussion about 3 years ago, during which he completely lost his temper and exploded and after which I never discussed politics with him again.

This time, there were 8 of us at breakfast, discussing the topic of gay marriage, a topic which, coincidentally, I did not introduce, and about which all 8 of us at the table were in agreement. Bob was not present during most of this conversation and the conversation was neither directed towards nor did it involve him. However, apparently, he had been listening to us out of sight of the table around the corner from the kitchen and all of a sudden, he shocked me by breaking into our discussion and insulting me. I tried ending the conversation immediately, but Bob persisted in arguing his point from the kitchen, in front of the stunned breakfast party, effectively ending breakfast that day.

The 6 of us in my party discussed his appalling behavior that night and determined that at breakfast the next day, we would discuss only pleasantries and try hard not to anger the innkeeper. Bob was sulllen and all but rude to me the rest of the weekend, even though I tried to "make nice" with him to end the tension between us.

Later, in 2 separate emails from Bob and Mary, we were told, in so many words, that we were not welcome back at Panaseah because we had offended the innkeeper who had gladly accepted our money for many years and who had pretended to be friends with us. As a matter of fact, in an email to me after the weekend, Mary, who was not at the inn that weekend, even said she did not want to hear from me what had transpired.

I did not intend to write this review. The closing of this chapter in our lives that has brought so much joy over so many years has been a very painful event for my partner and me, and I would like to forget about Panaseah forever. But, having given it much thought since that visit, I did want to warn potential guests about Bob's volatility and anger.

If you are a Progressive/Liberal/Democrat and you visit Panaseah, do NOT open your mouth about politics, even if you do not see Bob in the room. He listens, and is absolutely incapable of controlling his rage if he disagrees with you.

If you are LGBT, my advice would be to stay away. Bob and Mary will gladly take your money, but they do not really want you there, because you are not the "right" people. In Bob's opinion, we LGBT folks are not supposed to enjoy the same rights and privileges as non-gay people.

To be completely fair, Mary did refund our weekend. I held her check for a long time, never intending to keep her hush money, but having difficulty deciding exactly what to do with it. Finally, because of a friend's brilliant suggestion, I cashed her check and donated the exact amount of the refund to Basic Rights Oregon, whose mission statement is, "Basic Rights Oregon will ensure that all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Oregonians experience equality by building a broad and inclusive politically powerful movement, shifting public opinion, and achieving political victories."

Regardless of one's political/social opinions, no guests should be subjected to the hostility and anger of an innkeeper in the way that we experienced it at Panaseah. This was, and continues to be, a shocking and painful reminder of the way in which politics in the U.S. are causing some people to simply lose their minds and their manners.

In closing, you should visit the awesomely beautiful Oregon coast, but you might give some thought about where you spend your money to do it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
38  Thank cruisewithmike
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

If this diatribe interests you, please read the May 16th review and the May 23rd review. Both parties were present during this particular breakfast conversation. Here is the rest of the story…

No politics. Again and again, we asked this guest to curb the political rhetoric. Again and again, he has used the Inn to hold court on his passionate beliefs for gay marriage and gay rights. He may not have started the conversation but rest assured, he most certainly steered it that direction with each and every visit. This man is a world traveler. He’s articulate. He’s a good partner to his life partner. Could he not have found anything else to talk about at a romantic beachside get-away?

We’ve apologized publicly and privately. We’ve refunded his money. To set the facts straight, this guest ended our friendship and shut the door on his return to PanaSeaAh when he accused my husband of hiding this incident from me. He questioned the honesty and integrity of our marriage and with this review, has publicly implied that Bob is devious. He has gone over the top with his venom. With each effort to apologize, the response has been a bitter tirade against “people like us”. We will not have him back in our home.

My husband and I are builders. We build things. We love being Innkeepers and we are both good at it. The Trip Advisor Five Star Rating and Top 25 Bed and Breakfast awards reflects it.

Mary Centera Hauser, Owner and Innkeeper

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Pana Sea Ah B&B is so comfy. The innkeeper, Bob, makes you feel right at home. We arrived just in time for evening wine and snacks and wonderful conversation with Bob. The views are amazing. We stayed in the Pacific room - which has a great theme. The furnishing were quite nice and the bed is very comfortable. We fell asleep very quickly to the sound of surf - the best sleep we had on our week long tour of the Oregon Coast. Breakfast was amazing - all handmade by Bob. Boy, can he cook. Delicious!

1  Thank valmryky
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We've stayed in several B&B's over the years and were most pleased with our choice of Pana-Sea-Ah and the Garden room......our host Bob was a delightful, friendly man whose B&B is impeccably clean, warm and wonderful....he made our reservation for dinner and got us a seaside window table with a sensational view.....loved the homemade cookies and breakfast was as good or better than any restaurant....and as we headed up the road to WA he called to apologize because he had forgotten to give us our "to-go" bag of cookies....we will definitely return....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 24 in Newport
Inn at Arch Rock
Inn at Arch Rock
#3 of 7 in Depoe Bay

Been to Pana Sea Ah Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!