“Great location and bar - but pretty outdated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort

Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Los Angeles, California
“Great location and bar - but pretty outdated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I can't fault the great views at Surfrider. Perched on the cliffs above the ocean, I felt like I was on a ship at sea. That's the #1 reason to select Surfrider.

Pros:

*Insanely* good breakfast at the restaurant - razor clams with pancakes!
The aforementioned views.
Access to a great little beach.
Freakin' orcas jumping right out of the water!
Nice bar, also with the same amazing views.
Very nice staff.

Cons:

Well, the rooms. The whole resort has seen its day, and the rooms aren't very great quality. But they're clean, and you get satellite TV and a fireplace ... and a deck.

Honestly, if the rooms were upgraded, I'd give this a much better review. I struggled with the star rating - it deserves four stars for all of the amenities in the Pro category, but the rooms pull the rating down. They're not bad, just really outdated. But most people would enjoy the location and the great food (amazing breakfast). The room prices are about average for that area.

I suspect that this resort will get replaced with a higher end hotel sometime in the next few years. This is the best prime real estate around. So if you prefer a more homey experience, stay there now. And go have the breakfast. I miss it already.

Room Tip: I think that all of the rooms have a view to the ocean, but if you want a deck, ask for an upper roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Chappsnet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I really want to like Surfrider Resort, but can't quite get past several things. First, the location is SPECTACULAR! The views can't be beat. Although it is right off the highway, the property is quiet and it is well kept. The rooms are dated, which I am completely willing to overlook and have overlooked for several stays. However, this last stay might have been my last stay. There was new carpeting in the rooms, very nice. However, it was not installed well and there was a gap between the bathroom tile and carpet, which was dirty. The shower walls have black spots on them. I don't know if it is mold or what and quite frankly I didn't try to figure it out. The bedding has been updated, which was nice, but the four pillows on the bed were horrible! They were very lumpy and uncomfortable. My fault. I usually bring my own pillow and forgot. The chairs in the room seemed dirty. Again, didn't want to think about that too much. The final straw was when I was doing my hair in the morning and was bent over drying it and happened to glance at the door knob on the outside of the bathroom door. It had some sticky something on it with hair and dust all over it. It was all I could do to not take a picture to post on Tripadvisor. After seeing that, I am not sure I will be able to go back. I am willing to overlook a dated room if it is clean and well kept because the view is awesome. However, for the price I was charged, the view alone is not enough to justify staying in one of their rooms. Oh yeah, I got to listen to the people above me with kids running all around all evening and again in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

the view and private like beach rule! after that the rooms are fairly dated but are clean . pool and hot tub ok restaraunt is good for price if high end has no vacancy then this is my place.staff is right on time when called upon needs a remodel and it would be only.place i would stay are the coast

• Stayed March 2013
Gresham, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

This resort motel was a great place and a great value. The property is away from the hustle & bustle of Lincoln City and Newport and has fantastic views of the beach, ocean, and waves crashing on the rocks and sand. The facility has been upgraded since the last time we were there 10 years ago. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit with 2 baths,fireplace, kitchen, and patio. It was clean and had a great view of the beach. The restaurant had above average food and timely friendly service along with great views of the surf and beach. We saw a bald eagle perched on a snag and sea lions hunting 50 yards off the beach. The bar served good drinks with good service and again, fantastic views as we sat sipping our drinks socializing. With an indoor swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, and exercise room, we couldn't have asked for a better value. We stayed with a couple of good friends and we plan on returning next winter and staying longer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

We chose to stay here because it had a bar and restaurant attached. They may as well have not existed. The bar was drab and dark. There were poker machines out in the open. The wine list was minimal. The bartender was unfriendly to us; too busy visiting with is friends. His service was terrible. No bar snacks at all, The restaurant was ok. My husband had prime rib, He said it was good. I had a crab louis. It was real, fresh crab and there was plenty of it. Not much ambiance, though. Our room was clean, except for a dirty washcloth on the shower rod. Good view. The lobby doesnt open until 8:00 and closes at 10:00. My husband likes to get some coffee earlier than than that!

Room Tip: You want to get an ocean front room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fandmsmith
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed on New Years Eve night ($114). We did come in late, past 1am, but did not hear any noise. We were in #65, top floor. If you have little ones I would suggest being sure you are on bottom level or you will be continually asking them to walk softly. All rooms have a semi-private deck, and beach front AWESOME View!!!
As other reviews, it is dated somewhat, but our room was ROOMY for 2 queens, TV/DVD, mini-microwave, nice size frig, small coffee pot and mugs.
I looked at the sheets and they were clean, and all other surfaces seemed clean, but it's not a luxury place, and Jacuzzi tub(in bathroom) is no big deal, go for fireplace instead.
We did have a cocktail in the bar during happy hour, relaxing and they have 4 poker machines. View in the bar was excellent. Breakfast was ok, food was fine but did seem on the luke-warm side due to slow service. Other reviewers are correct restaurant service is slow, but they are nice, and food is OK, nothing great, but better than taco Bell!! View again from restaurant AWESOME!!!
We would totally stay here again, better than Motel 6, and not as nice as a Marriott, for the price and location and AWESOME VIEW....

Room Tip: Bottom floor if you have kids. Newer DVDs avail in lobby. pool & hot tub icky/run down.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara J
Kennewick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We have stayed at Surfrider for 30 years and this last trip (Dec. 23 trough Dec.27.) was not a good experience. Room 78. Our room was not very clean especially bathroom. Black mold around shower door and dirty tub, chrome dirty. Restaurant was excellent. Front desk very friendly. Don't think we will stay there again and won't recommend it to anymore of our family.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
BEST WESTERN Agate Beach Inn
Inn at Otter Crest
Inn at Otter Crest
#1 of 2 in Otter Rock

Been to Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort? Share your experiences!