“Worked well for us...”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Depoe Bay
Denver, Colorado
“Worked well for us...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

After spending a night in Lincoln City, we decided that the rare beautiful weather on the coast was reason enough to stay again. We found ourselves in Depot Bay, and called Surfrider after reading about it in my Fodor's book. It is nothing fancy, but it worked well for us. The woman at the desk made us several keys to go and check out the rooms in order to pick the one we wanted. She also gave us a good rate. Though we were on the bottom floor, the people above us were quiet, and we had a private balcony (we were in the first building). We enjoyed putting the kids to bed in the bedroom, then having space to watch tv in the evening. The pool was clean. The room was clean if a bit outdated- nothing grossed me out. The views were spectacular.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Cruisingfamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Tigard,OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

We stayed here Aug-07. I was hesistate to book due to the cheesy, not so fuctional website. It didn't show a front view of the hotel and the pictures were not that great. I decided to take the plunge and book. When we got there, it look was totally not what I expected. No Wonder, they don't show it on the website. It's a motel, not a resort. We didn't have problems cheaking in. When we got to the room, it, once again, was not what I expected. The room was rundown and out dated. The bathroom has cracks on the walls and sink. The shared balcony was a major turnoff. The carpet was so icky, that I did not walk barefoot on it. The restaurant was great for takeout, seeing as we were traveling with an infant. The food was o.k, nothing to brag about. We didn' go to the pool, but I I think it was odd that It was a greenhouse set up. I doubt we we'll stay here again, nor recommend it to family and friends.

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Being misled that it was a resort.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TigardMama
british columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

Cannot believe that this facility has good reviews.
After a 9 hr drive to get there, we were tired and expected an efficient check in and a nice warm room. We found the office closed at 10:00 pm. There was a phone in a box but at first we couldn't get through to the desk clerk. After about 1/2 hr a person wearing pjs and smelling of cigarette smoke arrived and gave us a room key.
Upon opening the door, the first thing to greet us was the reek of mildew. The room was the equivalent of a bad Motel 6. Very basic,old and run down. Carpet laid over concrete floor without insulation, felt damp and cold. The room was cold. The fake electrice fireplace turned on with a dial, like the ones used for heat lamps in hotel bathrooms, it ticked so loudly it drowned out the sound of the surf. Very annoying, but it did give off heat. The padding in the chairs was sunken to the frames. One chair turned over if you didnt stay in the middle. The balcony was shared with the room next to us. The mini bathroom had paint peeling off the door and the fixtures were corroded with age. The jetted tub was missing and there was a water boiler in the closet next to the coat hangers.
I wanted to leave, but the office was closed so I left a msg on the ans machine, no one responded. We were stuck there, next am we tried the free wireless network but it didn't work either. We checked out as soon as we could. Best I could say for this hotel is that the bathroom and bed were clean and the staff were actually nice about giving a refund.

• Liked — Great locaction
  • Disliked — Verry bad mildew smell and very run down room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank notnaughtynotnice
Eureka, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

If you decide to stay here:

Ask for an upstairs room. If you have a downstairs room, the herd of elephants stomping overhead will make it difficult to rest. Also, a downstairs room provides beach-goers with a perfect view into your living/dining area.

Leave your laptop at home. The dysfunctional wi-fi will only frustrate you.

Bring your own bath towel/bathrobe or be prepared to dress in the bathroom. Unless you are very petite, this establishment’s bath towels are too skimpy to wrap around you.

My advice would be to come for the view, and leave other expectations behind.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The lack of privacy, dysfunctional wi-fi
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank inabedofroses
Portland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

We had a large family of 18 to celebrate a very prestigious 50th wedding anniversary. All in all we rented 3 rooms and the master cabin. Things were going great until it was time to sleep. The mattress was a no-name brand with stains on it, the room was hot with no a/c. The comforter on the bed was old and uncomfortable, the pillows were so crammed full of quilt batting that I could not even rest my head comfortably. The towels are not even close to what I consider to be a "resort" quality. The shower has cheap plastic soap and shampoo dispensers. The shampoo was broken and the body soap had a crack which cut my partners arm. I attempted to call the front desk at 1 AM to request a better pillow and to my surprise I reached their voicemail system because they do not staff the desk at night. Locked out of your room after hours.... uh oh?! I would have gladly driven down the street and paid additional for a motel 6 room if one was available. This is not a resort by any means. I strongly suggest the "resort" owners stop lining their pockets for one day of each month and renovate 1 room. Just remember... BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The horrible living conditons
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aloyoshenka1
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2008

We stayed at the very large beach house. The lay out was a bit funky, as there are only 2 private rooms and then one room with two beds and one room with 3 beds. But it worked out for our group, as we had 2 couples, and my cousin came solo with only his 3 kids, and my sister in law and other friend are single. We expected them to take out the garbage every day. But they totally mopped, sweeped, cleaned the one or two cups in the sink, everything. The views are breathtaking as well, and although the house is adjacent to the property, it feels private. But my cousins said that the pool was a little icky.

• Liked — Listening to the ocean and drifting off to sleep.
  • Disliked — The stories about the pool being yucky.
  • Stayed January 2008
Keizer, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

Beautiful views and great prices, perfect for a spontaneous getaway.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
#4 of 36 in Lincoln City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,584 reviews

Been to Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort? Share your experiences!