“Just fine for the price”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Eugene
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is a modestly priced, modestly appointed hotel that met our needs just fine. It is clean and comfortable. It's conveniently within walking distance of U or Oregon.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

MomfromtheOC,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive for cleanliness, and customer service above all else. We look forward to serving you in your future lodging needs.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene

Reviewed 23 June 2011

The staff was pleasant and friendly. But my first impression was not positive. While checking in I saw the the desk behind the reception area was very messy and unprofessional with stacks of loose papers and books. I wondered if the rooms would be in the same condition.

However the room was very nice, clean and quiet. We all slept well on the comfortable queen size beds. The room included a microwave oven and a refrigerator and the bath had all the basic necessities (i.e. soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion). The room also had a reading chair in a corner which when used did not interfere with the others who slept.

The location was close the OU campus and downtown Eugene which allowed easy access to all the restaurants and shops.

The biggest complaint I had was the advertised free wireless internet service. We were on the 3rd floor and the service was virtually non-existent. When we could access the internet the signal was so weak we would lose the signal after only minutes of internet access. When I called the service number the offices were closed (Sunday). However, my nephew on the 2nd floor had the same problem so the problem was not limited to us.

If the wireless problem is corrected I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I almost hate to write a good review for this hotel because I don't want them to get so popular that it's hard to get a room -- or their prices go up! We've stayed at much more expensive hotels in the area but the only thing they had that was better than this hotel was a bigger breakfast selection. For the huge difference in price we can get a lot of breakfast -- and the Original Pancake House is right down the street!!! (I actually like to order a well-done Sausage McMuffin at the McDonald's right next door and a good strong cup of coffee. The only negative about this hotel is they don't have coffee makers in their rooms so you have to go to the lobby, then the coffee is terribly weak. Also, their parking is very tight. We have a handicapped parking card so have always found a parking place in front of the door but others have had to scrunch in to the tiny parking lot or perhaps park on the street. We really like this hotel, though, and never consider staying elsewhere anymore. Oh, I finally realized that if we get a room with a king bed (vs. 2 queens) there is room for more sitting furniture and that is very nice!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

What a pleasant surprise on a trip already made heaven-like by the atmosphere and people in 'Track Town, USA.' The amenities at the Sleep Inn far exceeded my expectations and the assistance and friendliness of Shanna, Joel, Jon, and Randy at the Front Desk help to enhance my stay. I look forward to returning to Eugene and will start my 'accommodations' search with the Sleep Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My wife and I were in town for the Eugene Marathon and we were pleased to find such a great rate, even on an extremely crowded weekend. Since the race started/ended at the university, the hotel was conveniently located. Due to being on a main street with a concrete median, it can be a little difficult getting in to the parking lot. And while I'm on the topic of the parking lot, it is very cramped and crowded. I was always able to find a spot, although it appeared that if you were to arrive late in the evening, there may not be a spot available.

My biggest complaint would have to be the customer service, namely from the front desk agent SHAUNA. We called a couple of days before our arrival with a few simple questions and were shocked at Shauna's rude demeanor as if we had inconvenienced her by calling. We wanted to see if they would be serving breakfast early since we (and the numerous other racers staying there) needed to leave the hotel by 6am. Shauna replied abruptly that breakfast would be served at 6am as usual. This turned out to be false but I'm not sure if she had been misinformed or simply didn't care enough to look for the correct information. We had the misfortune of meeting Shauna at the front desk on the day we arrived. We were a few hours before scheduled check-in so we inquired if a room might be available early. Without even blinking an eye, she told us that check-in was at 3pm, no exceptions. We asked if we could at least check our bags until check-in since I didn't want to leave them in the car. Again I was shocked when her snotty response was, "I have no place to put them!" Frustrated, we left to get food and wait until we could check in.

When we returned, we were pleased to see CHRIS at the front desk. His customer service was beyond excellent, as described by other previous reviews. He was very personable and we could tell it was his goal to make sure every guest enjoyed their stay. When we mentioned we were there for the race, he made sure we knew they were serving breakfast early. We even overheard him make multiple phone calls when trying to help a guest locate a mechanic who would be open on Sunday.

The spacious room was in great shape and very clean. It had a microwave and small refrigerator, although the fridge wasn't turned on when we got there. Luckily we noticed before too long and it wasn't a big deal, but it's something to keep an eye open for. There was a little street noise but I never once heard a train. The beds were comfortable and we slept great. I was also pleased with the quality of their free wi-fi. Our room appeared to be located directly above the lobby which is where the wireless router was located. So while we constantly had a strong wi-fi signal, I can't tell you what the quality is like on the other end of the hotel.

Overall, it's a nice hotel and you can definitely tell that it is fairly new. If you're looking for value without sacrificing quality, cleanliness and comfort, this is a great option. Don't expect five star service and consider yourself lucky if you get to meet Chris.

One final word of warning, the elevator HAS to be the slowest one in existence. I'm not really complaining since it's not the hotel's fault but it's definitely something to keep in mind if you're in a hurry.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DisneylandAficionado
frontdesk599, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Thank you for the constructive criticism. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad. The problems you have stated have been addressed. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

This was my second at the hotel, both times the rooms were very roomy and comfortable. The bed was better then mine at home, plush and cozy. There was some train noise, but it was minimal and brief. My minor complaints were the breakfast is rather meager and the parking isn't the greatest. I wouldn't let those things keep me from coming back as the value and comfort was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I'm always looking for a good value with a clean room, comfortable bed and decent bath. The room was suprisingly large and bright, a good desk with ample light and comfortable chair. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom clean and up to date. My room was very quiet. The only downsides: the typical minimal breakfast and no coffee pot in the room. Again, not a big deal for the price and value of the room. I'll definately stay again on my business trips to Eugene.

Room Tip: I had the single king room away from the main roa.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business