“EXCELLENT HOTEL - SUPERIOR SERVICE”

Red Lion Inn and Suites Eugene
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Newbury Park, California
“EXCELLENT HOTEL - SUPERIOR SERVICE”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at the Sleep Inn for 3 nights in July and I was amazed at how nice the Choice Hotel Chains are and how inexpensive they are. We paid $70.00 per night through AAA and I can not fault anything really. My only concern was that the Bathroom shower curtain smelled moldy, the curtain was white, there was no visible mold,only the smell. I noticed this problem in another Choice hotel. However, their beds and abundance of pillows and willingness to follow your special requests was EXTREMELY EXCELLENT! They didn't have a top floor for us the 1st night, so our fabulous clerk CHRIS, placed us on the 2nd floor with the promise that we would be moved to the 3rd floor the next day. However, we had a River Rafting Tour on the McKenzie that lasted all day and when we returned at 9:00 p.m. Chris had a incredible surprise for us. The hotel staff had moved all of our belongings to a 3rd floor room. IN ALL MY YEARS of staying in motels and hotels, NO ONE has ever gone this much out of their way to please a guest. I mean we had 3 pieces of luggage and they were strewn about all over the room. My husband and I were talking about having to pick up every thing and then move and what a surprise to come back tired and sun burned to find that they did it all for us! CHOICE HOTELS, YOUR EMPLOYEE CHRIS IS FABULOUS AND DESERVES A RAISE AND A LETTER OF COMMENDATION!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Nice Place in downtown
Clerk was very helpful.
Interior rooms with elevator, Very clean & new, with modern styling. Granite (?) shower interior & countertop in bathroom, new shower curtain on bowed-out curtain rod. Microwave & fridge. Hairdryer. Iron and Ironing board. Big widescreen TV and digital cable. Wonderful bed. Good, solid window. The curtains were just a little short and let in quite a bit of light, at least at late morning (we did sleep in late). There is also a train or two that rolls through town at night that might wake you up, but if you're already wake, it's quite charming.
Continental breakfast and coffee on the first floor in the morning. Many restaurants close by--on either side of the hotel and across the street.
Small parking lot, but some spaces are covered. accessible from only one side of Broadway that is a "No U-turn" street, that might explain why such a nice hotel had such a low price, June 2010.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank skates79
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed For A high school graduation and the front desk was outstanding they bent over backwards to ensure our comfort the young man in the morning was very helpful, his suggestions for restaurants and directions to local shops were spot on this hotel is brand new and is very clean, the housekeeping staff was great. next time i am in town this is where i will stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Anacortes, WA
Reviewed 13 May 2010

When coming to Eugene we've been staying at the Holiday Inn Express at Gateway. That's a very nice place, too, but costs $109 per night. This place was about $25+ cheaper per night. My brother-in-law (who really knows how to find great places at good prices on the internet!) found the Sleep Inn. We moved out of Eugene 5 years ago so weren't aware there was a brand new hotel at this location. My family was all meeting in Eugene for our dad's funeral and 3 groups of us stayed here. The beds are super comfy and we all slept really well. Even though it's right on the busy street we didn't notice a lot of noise. The A/C under the window purrs and provided "white noise" and was not annoying at all like some are. The louvers on it point toward the ceiling so it doesn't blow right on the person laying in bed. The rooms are spacious and 3 of us had plenty of room in a room with 2 queen beds. I didn't know the rooms had a nice frig and micro. That was a definite plus. I turned it all the way up and froze some carnations I'd brought with me for the pallbearers. (The knob is on the back of the frig on the right side and I had to call the front desk to ask what was the trick for turning it on.) The TV was also very good quality. I'd brought my laptop and printer to make booklets for dad's funeral service and the large desk was perfect to spread out on. The desk has a nice office chair with adjustable seat height. There was also a comfy armchair that my husband loved. There was no lamp by where they had it near the window so we just shoved it between the beds and he had a lamp to read by. Used the ironing board and iron -- all the comforts of home! I liked getting my morning $1 sausage McMuffin at McDonald's right next door -- and $1 hot fudge sundaes one evening. GREAT location. Tons of restaurants, especially Mexican. Registration and housekeeping staff were all super nice and helpful. Very good high speed internet via ethernet cord; bring your own or they have a loaner cord. The desk clerk said their wireless internet isn't very good but the McDonald's on one side of them and Pizza Hut on the other side both have free WiFi that is dependable. The only small negative thing to say is that there are no coffee makers in the rooms. That's okay but the free coffee in the lobby was pretty weak. We just went next door and got McDonald's coffee. Anyway, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelnutBug
Seattle
Reviewed 10 May 2010

If you're looking for a budget hotel that doesn't leave you saying "never again" you might give the Sleep Inn a try. This is a building that is either new or recently remodeled so the paint and wall paper's all fresh and the carpet, tile and furnishings attractrive.

Despite this when you walk in you will find the front entry and lobby/breakfast area is very unadorned, very plain...almost like they got done with the rest of the building and were low on money and short on time. It may make you wonder if you've made a mistake. It's okay, the room was nice.

A few of other items: If you are a light sleeper you need to know that this hotel is about one block from the railroad. The train horn was muffled but could still be heard. They offer a continental breakfast which is very basic and I wouldn't book a room here thinking "woo-hoo BREAKFAST". Coffee, juice, cold cereal, that kind of thing. If you want a real breakfast walk one block east on Broadway to the Original Pancake House. You are in the middle fo fast food heaven so there's no shortage of burgers and such.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Gladstone, Oregon
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Compared to many hotels on the same street, this is among the tops. Mostly because it is new and therefore VERY clean! It's close to restaurants and an easy walk to UO campus or downtown. I loved having wireless internet in my room. The bed was super comfy and the desk spacious. The wet bar sink was nice even if I didn't need to use it. I was glad to have a microwave and fridge as well.

The cons are that the parking spaces are narrow and there are not enough spaces in the event the hotel is full. I was there for two nights and my room was not serviced in the middle of my stay. I inquired at the front desk when I checked out and they said they've been short on maids and I was probably overlooked. I didn't need my room cleaned, but still. The other negative is that while they have a free continental breakfast from 6 - 9 a.m., there really wasn't much left at 8:15 a.m. That was disappointing.

Despite the cons I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank OregonTraveler7
Midwest
Reviewed 17 November 2009

This is certainly one of the nicest hotels in the Eugene area. The rooms are beautifully appointed and luxurious with plump comforters, thick carpet, flatscreen TVs, refrigerator and microwave. Carpeted inside entry and quality construction make for a quiet stay. Helpful employees who bend over backwards to please. Convenient location. We loved this place!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business