“Gilded orient”

Cuisines: Chinese
Arcata, California, United States
“Gilded orient”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

On arriving, I noticed kerosene lamp decoration. I immediately found this odd. Apparently this was once a coffee shop with a western theme, which remains in part now. The menu was disappointing, and no I'm not going to ask for some "other menu." After struggling to find something that sounded good, I ordered green beans, mushrooms and chicken.

It was pretty good. The sauce had good flavour, the chicken good...the green beans weren't great, but they were tasty. I also ordered steamed rice, which seemed aged or something.

On emptying the rice into a box for take out, I found a bug (ant?) in the box. Alive. Yeah, rice has bugs...but it completely erased my appetite. It was probably nothing, but I am quite sensitive about these food safety matters.

The staff was friendly. They ate there after they closed, and some people (children? friends?) who were students talked about various Chinese centric subjects. How stereotypical. It was a weird setting, but they tried and it should be a decent meal if you order decently.

• Visited June 2013

Eugene, Oregon
“Friendly folks; great food!”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for more than a decade. Lee, the owner, greets me by name, and has tea and soup waiting for me by the time I get from the door to my favorite table. The prices are low, the food is great, the service is excellent! Although the parking lot is often empty, and the building shows evidence of its previous existence as a German restaurant, there is nothing not to like about Golden Orient.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank MegandBigGeorge
Eugene, Oregon
“An average Chinese restaurant!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

An average Chinese restaurant, decent food at a decent price. Good place to have an inexpensive lunch.

Visited November 2011
Eugene, OR
“Surprisingly Good”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We're not big fans of Chinese restaurants, so you'll have to keep that in mind when reading this. We never paid this place any attention since there didn't seem to be anyone in the parking lot whenever we drove by, but the reviews were encouraging, so we decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised. One of the proprietors (the wife) seated us and was rather chatty when she came back to take our order. She was delightful. The decor was nothing to speak of, but the food was plentiful, fresh, and tasty. One dish fed both my wife and I. If we had each ordered a dish, we certainly would have needed a take-home box. If my memory serves me, we ordered the 'Special Chow Yuk' dish, which had all kinds of protein (pork, chicken, and shrimp) and veggies. It was superb. The fried rice that came with the dish wasn't great, but it was OK. We would definitely go back to this place whenever we got the hankering for Chinese food. If you like this kind of food, then you need to check this place out. Here again, this is not a fancy looking place, but the food more than makes up for that and we really like the couple who own the place. Great bang for your buck.

• Visited May 2012
Springfield, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Great Gamble”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This place. Ha looks like a post apocalyptic Chinese restaurant on the outside.
Looks totally abandoned.
I was skeptical about eating there for that reason and the other,I had never really seen many people parked their or be in their or go in there.
But what made me curious... As to why it was still their?
So I figured something had to be up.
I went in there one day
Ordered my favorite;BBQ and Egg flower soup.
I wanted to cry out of jubilation,it reminded me of the Chinese restaurant that my parents use to take me too as a kid.The food was so good ,I was happy to be able to find a place like it.
Golden Oriental is a quite place to enjoy great food with a friend or family.
Once you become a regularly.(Cause you will believe me) The owner will make you feel right at home.
This place really is a hidden Gem.

• Visited April 2011