“Good service, average fish fry” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #377 of 607 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Eugene, Oregon
“Good service, average fish fry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I'm 6 months pregnant, and was having a craving for a really good fish fry, so decided to try McGrath's. Situations being what they were, I decided to get my order to go, and take it home. The hostess that answered the phone to take my order was very courteous and friendly, and informed me that my order would be ready in 15-20 minutes.
I arrived in 15 minutes, and the place was packed on a Friday night, so I was glad of my decision to take my order home. I waited for approximately 5-10 minutes for my order, and there were approximately 10-15 tables waiting in the lobby to be seated. A waitress brought me my order, and I took it home.
The fish fry itself was cooked well (fish was still decently crispy, despite a 15 minute drive home), but everything was pretty bland. The batter on the fish had no seasoning, and the coleslaw was one-note, and just kind of sweet, though the portion was good. The fries were probably the tastiest part of the meal.
Although it would work in a pinch, I will probably look elsewhere for my next fish fry.

• Visited September 2013

Salem, Oregon, United States
“Lunch Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Friendly, quick service.
Left Mexican place next door and went here.
Good price for good food.
Nothing to comment on for a dislike. McGrath's has been good in all locations.

Visited September 2013
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“A Nice Meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

From out of town...and our hosts took us here for dinner one night.

A steady crowd, but we seemed to be far and away the youngest (low 40s) people in the place. This usually stereotypes restaurants for me as places that will have serviceable food at reasonable prices...but don't look for any overflowing plates or any adventurous or spicy presentations. This one proved to be no exception: good food, good service, but nothing more than a notch above a Red Lobster. Don't get me wrong...I 've got nothing against Red Lobster, but it seems more catered to those whose idea of a seafood feast is fried shrimp...and living on the edge in shrimp prepared another way. McGrath's is more adventurous than that with a more seafood choices...but not by a whole lot.

Of some concern to me was the "catch of the day" list. Typically when I see such a list, I expect those items will have either a particular preparation or perhaps a list of preparations that are special to that fish for that particular day. But none were listed. So I asked, and was told that those items were available as already listed menu items. Which means, apparently, if the salmon is fresh, then all the salmon items on the menu will be fresh salmon. If salmon is not listed as fresh, than those items are still available...presumably as frozen fish.

That seemed strange. Even if our server didn't properly explain this to me, than that's still a problem. Keep this in mind as you decide what to order.

My wife and I both had one of the "fresh" fish options!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Surrey, Canada
“McGrath's Fish House - highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Fist time at this chain and very pleased with every aspect of the restaurant. Our server Aaron was great with knowledge of the menu and his attention to our table was excellent. Food was served very hot and was great. Server checked back often enough to see if anything was needed . House manager stopped by and was informative when he found out we were from Canada and gave us good information about the area. All in all a very pleasant experience and try others in the chain. Four of us ate for just over $125.00 including a drink each. Wine menu offered and had some nice selections.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tempe, Arizona, United States
“Not fishy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Good seafood and wonderful salmon, at very reasonable prices. Friendly staff, good location by the Williamette River. A good value for good food!

Visited April 2013