“The Right Place for right reasons.”
Review of Royal Inn Eugene

Royal Inn Eugene
Royal Inn Eugene
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Eugene
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We visit family in the outskirts of Eugene, closer to the Beltway. So we don't need to be downtown nor in a plush setting but instead want to be close to family location and just need a place to crash each night after spending all day with the kids. This is the most out of the way location in a marginal area. But it is a very economical motel that doesn't offer much in amenities. The rooms are sparse. The towels are scratchy. There's no breakfast. Even though the microwave is the typical WEAK model it still dims the light when turned on. Old tube tv. Friendly receptionist. Asked for one room downstairs and one 2nd floor and got it. Couldn't get Handicap room but first floor accommodation OK. There is some road noise and no option for a 'back room.' We WILL return mostly for the location to family and reasonable rate considering....

Room Tip: Called ahead and got a really low rate that beat out all the web offerings for the same place.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TripAdJoeF

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We came here the night before Oregon Country Fair, the owner was very nice. He was Indian (as most motel-owners) and we talked a bit about how we love India and how often we go there etc. The room was Ok for the price, it had everything you need. The bed was comfy, yes - everything was good.
The next morning we were in a hurry to the Fair and didnt do our usual "last check" of the room. We had a very nice, expensive bag, made of fabris and leather. It was our handbaggage and we had some importand things in it like bankcalculators, cameralenses, importand papers, and also presents, frisbys, teas etc.
The bag was quite big and we left it in the middle of the floor. Next day- in Portland, we saw that it was gone and called immidiatly to the motel. The owner said that yes, he saw the bag but since we left it on the floor with the door open (what else, we LEFt the room!) he just threw it in the garbage! "Its was garbage so I threw it away" he then asked us to call back since he would "go thrue the garbage". Sure...well each time we called there was a different story, That the cleaners threw it away, that the homeless people took it etc etc.
I guess that he liked the bag (it was very nice - Cottonfield brand) and threw away the content and then couldnt admit it. You dont throw away your guests bags even if they forget it! You keep it at least for some days. If you dont hear from them - then you do whatever.
All this is very sad since we liked them from the beginning..We even tried to tell them that we would pay for their expenses if they only shipped it, but the bag was gone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Kamala11
Reviewed 17 July 2013

In my line of work, I am fortunate to stay at four- and five-star properties (on someone else's dime!). This was a personal trip where I wouldn't be using my room much, so I went with $75 a night to over twice that much at the downtown properties. Why are Eugene hotels so expensive?

Was it dated? Yes. Could it use some TLC? Yes, but what I did not expect was that I would sleep soundly every night. I never heard the trains. The room was clean and the staff welcoming. I wasn't expecting five-star luxury, but after my first night there, I was not unhappy. The only thing I would have liked was a chain on the inside of my door. Other than that, I have no complaints, and yes, I would re-book at that hotel when visiting my family in Oregon again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jdw66
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was amazed at this motel. How did it get a two star? They must be giving it out to any and everybody who asks for it. My room was so bad that I could not believe that BBB of Eugene is letting them stay open. Every fixture in the bathroom was molded or rusty. I took pictures. I wish I could attach them to this review. The cover for the fan in the bathroom was gone, duck tape was holding the vanity mirror. There was no way I was going to look under the sheet. I was afraid of what I might find. Thank goodness I had a small blanket to spread over the bed cover to go to sleep. I dared not walk around bare footed in that room. I will not recommend this place to anyone. For the price I expected a little more than what I got.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank chinwe o
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This is an older motel located adjacent to Highway 99 and the railroad tracks. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and clean, but the exterior is a bit run down. The rooms have coffeemakers and fridges, which is helpful. There are minimal amenities, except for the free wi-fi. In fact, this motel would be an excellent value were it not for the location. It is about 4 miles from downtown Eugene, but the trip is quick. The problem with the location is the NOISE. Traffic from Hwy 99 is constant, and the train whistles could wake the dead when the trains come through. In addition, my room had an odd banshee-like wail in the walls in the middle of the night. I presume it was vibrations in the plumbing whenever somebody in an adjacent room flushed the toilet, but there is the possibility that the motel is haunted. Needless to say, I did not sleep well.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from Hwy 99 as possible
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Poppylinc
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I try to review motels that are cheap and traveler friendly. This is another one. If you have a car, it's worth the small trip out of downtown Eugene. It's not centrally located, but it's cheap, our room was clean and had everything we needed, including free WiFi. So, again, not bad for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank I51981
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I needed, in May of 2011, to visit Euene, Oregon on a consulting trip. After doing considerable research on the web on suitable hotels located in the part of Eugene in which I was interested, I chose the Royal Inn Eugene, and went ahead and booked reservations for my stay.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was not disappointed. It is an older wood structure, with the rooms divided across two buildings, and I was very pleased with my stay here. I found the room to be vary large and spacious, and it was apparent that it had also been recently renovated, and, best of all, the room came complete with a kitchenette, with a sizeable refrigerator, a microwave oven, and a very large counter, along with a small round kitchen table with two wooden chairs!

I found the hotel staff, including the management/owners, to be incredibly helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Vinny067
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eugene
Americas Best Value Inn Eugene
Express Inn and Suites
Express Inn and Suites
#27 of 38 in Eugene
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Eugene / Springfield

Been to Royal Inn Eugene? Share your experiences!