“Like a National Lampoon vacation experience”

Campus Inn & Suites, Eugene Downtown
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
Portland, Oregon
“Like a National Lampoon vacation experience”
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Christmas Eve. I was down from Portland to spend time with my daughter's family.

As I drove in, I noticed very few cars in the lot.

Not at all crowded.

I checked in, was given the pass key to "my" room.

As I approached the door, I noticed a Do Not Disturb door-hanger.

Hmm, I thought. Maids must have left it.

I put my card in the key lock opened the door and a guy in bed jumped up and said "What?"

I backed out, apologizing and returned to the front desk.

"I'd like a room that is not already occupied."

Some fussing with the computer, a mumbled "... computer problem" and profuse apologies.

I ws handed the card key to another room ("Up-grade for you because of the problem").

I entered room #2 which was ice cold.

"That's OK -- just keeping energy costs down". Moved my things in and went to turn on the lights beside the bed.

Hmmm, nothing.

I walk back over to the front desk and the attendant said she'd be over with new bulbs.

I pulled the chair away from the wall to see if there was a plug not plugged in.

Interesting. A cracked and partially open outlet cover.

The bulbs didn't solve the problem, so into the third room I went.

Overall, this motel presents as worn and tired and not well-maintained. The heater control knob was broken -- I got it turned on, but never figured out how to set it to maintain a standard temperature, so it kept running off and on all night.

The clerk kept apologizing to me for the problem with the guy in the first room, but I kept suggesting that maybe she out to check him out -- maybe he had a coronary or something with a stranger coming into his room.

I think that these old motels close to the University have little incentive to up-date their appearance and attend to customer's needs.

I did make sure that the bolt on my door was used and when I awoke early the next morning I didn't even bother to use the shower -- I just left and headed north.

Randy

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Randy2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Monterey, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2007

Pros: Decent location, comfortable rooms, decent (not great) internet availability in the room, mediocre toast & muffin type breakfast was included
Cons: used bar of soap in my shower which manager didn't seem to concerned with at check-out, price was a little steep for this kind of hotel ($68+)

• Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 12 April 2007

Stayed at the Campus Inn for one night while in Eugene Oregon and found it to be actually better than expected. The views on their webpage are pretty underwhelming, but they have refurbished the rooms with new furniture and pretty nice tvs for what is essentially a motel. There is a jacuzzi outdoors (although road noise would probably make this a bit less than desirable), a small fitness center and bagels and muffins laid on for breakfast. If you get a cheap rate and your expectations are simply somewhere to store your stuff and sleep, this is not a bad bet.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon G
Portland, OR
Reviewed 4 February 2007

I was in town one day and unexpectedly needed to stay the night, so I just randomly walked in this hotel. I was very pleased with it, especially how clean and friendly it is, and have returned twice since. Although it's not super cheap, it's affordable for being in walking distance of both the UO campus and downtown. Most important, the rooms are very clean and kept nicely, with new looking furniture and comfortable beds. I wouldn't say the rooms were "small", but I guess it depends what you compare to. They have desks, nightstands, closets, and so forth. They're huge compared to the hotels I stay in in San Francisco. The desk people have always been very friendly and helpful. The rooms are apparently recently remodeled, with tile bathrooms and two sinks (one inside the bathroom, one outside). The fridge is great to have too. The continental breakfast is one of the better I've come across-- try the raisin bread. We also really enjoyed using their outdoor hottub, which is also tile.
It is on Franklin Ave, one of the busier streets in town, and so I was actually pleasantly surprised that I was not bothered by the traffic noise (I'm usually pretty sensitive to it). The three rooms I've stayed in were all in different parts of the hotel, and none seemed noisy to me. I did always stay midweek, when the hotel wasn't entirely full, but I was never bothered by noise from neighbors or upstairs either. The train is audible but not as loud as in other parts of town. It didn't wake me up. (let's face it: a train runs through Eugene at night and blows the whistle. I saw comments about train noise on every single hotel review for Eugene that I read on this site. I'm just glad that train means less big trucks on the highway.) Anyway, I have had great experiences there three times in a row.

• Liked — Friendly and clean
  • Disliked — noisy heater/ac unit (but its standard for this type of hotel)
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
11 Thank HeatherPortland
Oregon
Reviewed 12 November 2006

Someone worked very hard to redo this older motel and they did a pretty great job, but underneath it's still a thin-walled, somewhat smelly, overpriced place to stay. The traffic was very loud (as was the train) and we could hear the conversations going on upstairs and even a few doors down. Speaking of doors, we also heard every slam of every door on our end of the unit. The shower curtain tried to cling to whomever was showering, and the full beds were definately not the most comfortable. On the plus side, parking was ample and easy, and they really did do a nice job on the decor. Unfortunately, the man who checked us in seemed to be bored by his job and gave us the check-in speel in a monotone without ever looking up. I'm currently waiting for them to refund us a night we decided not to stay and the credit hasn't shown up on my card yet. Our verdict: move on.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — price and smell
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
17 Thank sportsmomto3

Travellers are raving about these Eugene hotels

Folsom, CA
Reviewed 3 October 2005

This motel is in a very convenient location near U of O, but the rooms were tiny and noisy. At $92/night, we felt it was way overpriced. We stayed there a few nights then moved to a Best Western across the street from campus which was 100% better.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
19 Thank slwerner
WA State
Reviewed 21 July 2005

The location of Campus Inn is great but the smelly, not quite clean, searching for bedbugs, room with doors that don't quite close and a bathroom smaller than a postage stamp make location and lower price questionable values.

In addition, upon checking my statement, I discovered that I'd been charged for my room the same night I'd made the reservation-2 weeks prior to arrival. I was therefore very careful about not giving my card to imprint again and bringing my bill and confirmation when checking in. I was assured that I would not be charged again...hah! I checked with my card company, another charge went through the day after my one night stay. It will take time and diligence to track and correct this and any other future (?) charges I may get from Campus Inn.

AAA rated must really mean $$$, as this is double-billing done in an overtly sneaky, borderline criminal manner.

Beware.