Campus Inn & Suites, Eugene Downtown
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Downtown Inn(Eugene)
View Hotel
All reviewswhole foods storehot tubcontinental breakfastreception areaacross the streetlaundry facilitiessmall fridgewalking distancefitness centercoffee makercentral locationroom was clean and comfortableyogurtcampusdowntowncalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Based on other trip advisor reviews, I thought this would be an economical safe bet. I was wrong. After check in for Room 120, we walked into the room to dump luggage before going to explore Eugene. The bathroom had this awful odor, sort of a cross between old urine and cat spray(you choose). It wasn't that it was incredibly strong, but strong enough that I didn't want to be there without the fan on. We were in a hurry to explore before dark, so I did not request a different room. We left the fan on and by the time we returned later it seemed to have mostly cleared out, but I did leave the fan on all night. The Campus Inn is at a busy intersection, so there were traffic noises periodically drifting into the room. The carpet felt damp underfoot, especially In front of the sink. I threw down a towel and it was fine. By the next morning, it was just as damp as the day before, which always gives me the feeling of an unclean carpet, although visually it looked OK. Also on check in, I heard that the pool was closed, and so was the hot tub. I hadn't planned on using either, but I did consider the possibility when I was booking. Lastly, the continental breakfast was quartered Costco muffins, bagels, toast, English muffins, bananas, coffee and OJ. Not even cereal and milk, and no place to reasonably sit (you are in a tiny lobby with two bar stools), so we schlepped it back to our room in the rain. On the good side, the sheets seemed clean, the WiFi worked, and the staff offered some recommendations for dinner. All in all, I would make a different choice next time.

Room Tip: Might be quieter on the second floor not facing the street and not immediately adjacent to parking right outside the door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WAgal
DanCampusInn_Suites, Owner at Campus Inn & Suites, Eugene Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I see that there is a number of areas that need attention & I assure you we will do everything possible to bring those areas back up to our high standards. Unfortunately, since our hot tub is outdoor's, we do close it for the winter season. As far as the continental breakfast, since your stay, we are in the process of upgrading our breakfast to include fresh made belgian waffles (guest made) & greek yogurt. We look forward & hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I wanted a clean basic room at an inexpensive rate--and that is precisely what I received. But I also received some pretty good customer service too, something you don't always find in an inexpensive hotel.
My husband was feeling ill when we arrived in Eugene at 9:30am, and he was just trying to sleep in the car (which of course is not comfortable.) I went to the front desk and a gentleman managed to get us into our room at 10:30am---WAY before check-in time! My husband was able to warm up and sleep it off.
We did have one odd mishap. Much to my embarrassment, the toilet broke while in use... not my favorite moment in life. We called the front desk and when the lady came up to turn off the water and see what was up, she already had keys for an upgraded room in her hand. It was not fun changing rooms, but she was generous with time to do so, and had compassion for my situation. I have always said that everyone does well when things are going correctly, but you will see the true nature of a place when things go wrong. This place passed the test.
I am glad now to have a place that I know I can go to whenever I need to go to Eugene.

Room Tip: There are adjoining rooms if you are traveling with kids, and the Executive Suite provides very roomy accommodations for a group of 4! Not all rooms have a microwave, so double check if you need one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
DanCampusInn_Suites, Front Office Manager at Campus Inn & Suites, Eugene Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

What a lovely review, especially in light of the circumstances. Your gracious understanding is so appreciated. I am glad we met and exceeded "the test". :-)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed one night on drive south to California. Wanted to be walking distance to a restaurant which was. But the rooms need an update although was clean. The beds were hard and squeaky. The bedspreads were the tacky polyester comforter that slips all over the bed without keeping you warm and is not comfortable. Most motels are updating to the duvet type bedding that is much nicer. If it had had a better bed would have been more worth the price but feel we overpaid for what we got here. Also breakfast minimal compared to the better chain places. Wanted to like this small independent place for the location but didn't feel was good value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

If you have certain expectations it is always good to 'look' at the room prior to check-in. We welcome the opportunity to 'show' our rooms.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this motel for three nights over the Christmas holiday while visiting our family in Eugene. The room is pretty basic, but clean, comfortable and looked recently repainted. This is an older motel, but has been well maintained although the bathroom fixtures showed signs of wear. We had a minor problem with the plumbing one morning and within 10 minutes we were moved to a new room. We had an excellent supply of nice hot water whenever we wanted it. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The continental breakfast is pretty minimal, but is adequate for a quick bite; the coffee (Starbucks) was excellent! The only down side to our stay was that the heater fan system was quite noisy and went on and off throughout the night; we stayed good and warm. The price is really good for what you get. This is the third time we have stayed at this motel during the Christmas season and will definitely return again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DanCampusInn_Suites, Front Office Manager at Campus Inn & Suites, Eugene Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

We're so glad we have met your needs over the years and we appreciate your sharing your opinion with other TA travelers. We'll look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Eugene to break up our drive to CA. Based on TA reviews we picked Campus Inn and couldn't have been happier. Our room was pretty basic, but clean. It was easy to find and near the main road (can't recall the name now). This made it convenient, but a little noisy too. There was a continental breakfast which wasn't anything to write home about, but was complimentary with our stay and filled us up before hitting the road again.

Overall, there aren't a lot of great things at Campus Inn, but you get what you pay for an we were very happy with our stay there.

I almost forgot . . . the lady at check in had pre-warmed our room by turning up the thermostat prior to our arrival!! It was literally freezing outside (maybe 25F) and walking into a warm room was SO amazing after driving for 8 hours! I can't remember her name, but she was GREAT!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brand763

It is the courtesy of our staff that transcends our competition. Thank you for the praise.