“Needs complete updating”

Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Eugene
Phoenix, Arizona
“Needs complete updating”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and seeing a message from the GM that they were undergoing renovations in 2014, I called the hotel to see if any rooms were completed as I had concerns from other reviews. I was disappointed to hear that they had not started any guest area updates but they had started to renovate the back office areas. In my opinion, a warped decision as the guests should always come first.
The entry is bright and nicely decorated and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Great experience there!
Once upstairs, the hallway carpets were old and dirty. Once in the room I found old dirty carpeting, marked and dirty walls, scratched older furniture and the desk chair had some unknown substance on it that I did not wish to sit on.
I was also surprised that the blackout curtains only partially covered the windows so my one opportunity to sleep in didn't work out so well.
Bottom line is this is an OK property in serious need of updating and until they do, I will pass.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim C
Courtny O, Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Eugene, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hi Jim C-

Unfortunately, a maintenance issue caused us to repair our air conditioning in the back office but our complete renovation has not begun. We will be upgrading most areas of the hotel this winter. We do agree that the guest rooms and common areas should be the first things updated. We will begin this winter in order to not displace current reservations.
Thank you for your review and let me know when you are in Eugene next as we would like to take personal care of you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Although the location is close to campus this was the worst stay we had on a two week trip from Northern California to Utah. We booked this hotel through hotwire which may be part of the reason we were trated poorly. Due to my having MS and needing to takevabquick break we called at around one about the chance to check in early. We were told there would be no problem and our room was clean we asked if we could see about a higher floor we were told that our room had already been assigned and there was nothing else available even if we wanted to pay for upgrade. Upon check in the staff at the front desk appeared to be distracted by their discussion with one another about their recent weekend activities. When we finally arrived at our room we were greeted by an amazing view of a dirty rooftop. Our "assigned" room!!! The bed was so so, but nothing is more disgusting than hair on the bathroom floor, in the tub, on the counter and on one towel that I immediately put on the floor. Had I not been feeling do poorly I would have called the front desk but we already knew they really didnt care. I will never stay at this establishment again and as frequent hotwire users we will advise them as well. If the hotel has a problem with hotwire guest then they shouldn't use their services. Some of us use the service so that we are prompted to try new places. This is one I won't be staying at again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Nicinutah-
I truely apologize for your recent stay here at our hotel. This is not the caliber of stay we pride ourselves in creating for our guests, and is way below our personal expectations. I have taken this reveiw as a training tool to create a more professional front desk staff. I also made our Executive Housekeeper aware of the strands of hair that were noticed in your room. We want our guests to feel at home at our hotel and am dissapointed that you did not feel that way.
Please contact me directly next time your in Eugene. I would love to prove that this was not the kind of service we provide.
Central Oregon, Oregon
Reviewed 2 March 2014

After reading reviews about this hotel I decided to try it out. When I called to reserve, the front desk person was very pleasant and easy to make a reservation with. With the reviews, I was expecting a nicer establishment. The room was pretty outdated...they try to make it look nice with a pillow on the bed. It was pretty rundown. The kicker for me not ever wanting to stay there again was the MOLD in the bathroom. I went to tell the front desk (hoping to get moved...or at least acknowledged) - they just said, "ok, we'll write it down". Overall, super disappointment! And the beds ARE NOT comfortable as others said. Maybe if you like rock hard beds that make you wake up with a stiff back.....

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hbhelgeson-

Although I am happy to hear that the front desk made your reservation with ease, I am not pleased with how they addressed the housekeeping issue. I have taken this review as a chance to teach newer front desk staff on how to handle these types of issues. Our hotel starts our updating this winter and would love to show you these updates.
Thank you for your review.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Front desk service was excellent, friendly and very accommodating to our needs. Room was clean and smelled nice. Breakfast was well maintained and clean. Be aware that eggs and sausage do not appear on the weekend. Bummer

Room Tip: I observed some rooms cramped next to elevator. Request far, far away from elevator
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Emil B
Courtny O, Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites Eugene, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
We appreciate your reveiw here at the Phoenix Inn Suites! Thank you for your kind words about our staff. We also found your review of the breakfast very helpful and have made changes on the weekends to better accomodate our guests needs!
Hope to see you soon.
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Spent a few nights here and found the rooms acceptable. The beds are comfortable but the pillows were too soft for me. The bathroom is very small but the shower has plenty of hot water and a strong spray. The heat/AC unit runs all of the time and is fairly quiet. It provides enough white noise to help with the sounds of the trains passing 100' away.

Breakfast selection is limited for a hotel in this price range and the kids usually ended up with a bagel and cream cheese. They would've preferred the waffles but the mornings were busy and the wait for the two waffle makers was too long for our morning schedule. There is no breakfast meat.

The rugs in the room and stairwells were dirty and haven't been shampooed in a long time. There were other cleaning issues that aren't addressed (mold in window sill, corners of bathroom floor and tub dirty). The place was not filthy and we stayed, but it could've been cleaner.

For the money, I don't expect we will stay at this hotel again.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are dissapointed to hear about your most recent stay here. We are undergoing a complete rennovation this year and would love to show you our updated rooms and improvements throughout the whole hotel. Please contact me the next time you are in Eugene and I would love to take personal care of you and your family.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Here for business and really enjoying the great service! They sent a taxi to pick me up from the airport since the shuttle driver was out sick (went that extra mile when they didn't have to). The front desk was friendly and helpful. Bed is comfortable. Nice to have coffee/tea in lobby and free wifi in the rooms. Microwave and mini fridge in room is useful too.. Location is fantastic. Two blocks from campus and food options. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
eugene, oregon
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We live in Eugene and stayed here when our power went out due to snow. In the past, family members stayed here. This place is definitely better than many of the more highly rated Eugene hotels on Trip Advisor. Rooms are larger than average with refrigerator and microwave. Good bed. Standard breakfast is served early, starting at 6:30. Close to University. The building is older, not fancy, but well maintained. Has interior hallways.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family