“Ugh! Decrepit, unsafe rooms.”

Courtesy Inn Eugene
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
San Jose, CA
“Ugh! Decrepit, unsafe rooms.”
Reviewed 20 August 2006

Ugh. This motel is in dire need of renovation. The greatest concerns we had were safety. Our room had a front door that had about 2 inches of movement even when shut, locked and latched from the inside. The bathroom door would not shut, the wood was warped at the top. The bathroom window, at street level onto a lot next door, had no curtain or blind, with bars on the outside. The bathroom sink was coming detached from the wall, and there was a large circular crack in the glass shelf above the falling sink. Decor-wise, the room had hideous wood paneling on both ends. A large stain was running down the closet door mirror and another on the side of the TV. There are plenty of other cheap rooms in Eugene without having to stay here. Avoid it!

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank J_J_sanjose
courtesyinneugene, Owner at Courtesy Inn Eugene, responded to this review, 24 February 2009
Within the last year, the Courtesy Inn Eugene has gone through extensive renovations. Including new carpets, new doors with electronic locks, new paint in all rooms, renovated bathrooms with new vanities, and brand new air conditioning and heating units. We guarantee our guests' total satisfaction - if you are not 100% satisfied with your stay, our staff will do their utmost to ensure your comfort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2006

I was in Eugene for 3 days with my son to visit U of Oregon. The Courtesy Inn is very centrally located, right at the foot of the freeway, right at the edge of downtown, a few blocks from UO. The property is a typical motel. The rooms are a bit small, we had a room with 2 queens, and it was barely big enough for the 2 beds, and 1 table. The A/C was extremely noisy but effective. The service was mediocre, not particularly friendly. I had a business associate who tried to call me in my room, and he said the phone rang 25 times, and there were no answer. He called me on my cell phone to tell me that, I walked up to the front desk, the woman at the front desk was on another call, and when she finally got off the call, I told her about my friend calling in, and she shrugged her shoulders, looked annoyed and said, "well, I'm here by myself, you know...". I guess it never occurred to her that she could have put a caller on hold to pick up another call.

I had a very good rate, it was only $68 a night. The room was clean enough, but definitely not sparkling. The pillows were a bit lumpy, but for that price, it was totally acceptable.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BayAreaRes
Oregon Coast
Reviewed 21 July 2006

We have stayed at Courtesy Inn many many times and have always been happy with the room, service, cleanliness. We were in town for business and thought we'd stay there again. I called the hotel directly, made the reservation. When we arrived, we were given the worst room ever. It was in the corner of the middle of the building: dark, dank and smelling hideous. Looking out the window, the view was a 3 foot space between the opposite room, both with bars on the windows. The room had not been renovated for a long time, if ever. We were kept awake by the loud guests in the next room who were going in and out of the room and talking loudly in the lot for about 2 hours (1-3 am) The only nice thing was the bathroom was updated and clean like the others we have stayed in at this property. Good value and adequate for the price unless you get this room or it's sister on the other side of the building!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location/condition of room compared to others stayed in on previous visits
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to see the room before you pay.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank BeachBrew
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

My husband and I stayed here on a trip to the redwoods. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. I booked it after reading the reviews on this site. It is centrally located and within walking distance to a great breakfast place - The Keystone Cafe. The staff are so nice and the rooms are very clean. The room had a microwave, refrigerator, iron/board, hair dryer. Even though it is centrally located, It was very quiet so we were able to get enough sleep for a long drive! It was perfect for us - we were so pleased with our stay we stayed again on our way back through the area. We arrived at 10:30am and stopped there just to see if they would have availability that evening. Since there was a vacant room, she let us check in right away. Much more accommodating than the larger chain hotels. I would stay again anytime!

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
california
Reviewed 13 April 2006

Just returned from a college tour of U of Oregon. I made reservations here based on the Tripadvisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The price was great and the location good. Not fancy, but clean and adequate. I was nervous when I saw the nearby train tracks, but the trains never bothered us. Good locks on the doors and the windows have been replaced. Staff was nice. Don't count on the continental breakfast, as it was meager. But our room had a good sized refrigerator and microwave, and we had our own food. Or, try the Keystone Cafe for a good breakfast, right around the corner.

It was also nice that the room had two queen sized beds, instead of just doubles as many hotels are doing now.

I would stay here again, as long as I wasn't looking for a fancy place.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank BeeceeBeach
salem or
Reviewed 22 January 2006

i was thinking since the hotel was built in the 60s and renovated in 1997, it shouldn't be too bad, and i was pleasantly surprised. the carpet was nice, the room was roomy, you get continental breakfast (fruit and muffins), and it was really easy to check in. For the price - cheapest on the internet at the time $51, it was well worth it. bathroom is small. Very clean. hbo too.

• Stayed January 2006
11 Thank xtravonna
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed 28 June 2005

Excellent value for the money. This a nice motel, close to everything - couple blocks walk to the downtown, saturday merket, local wineries, and right around the corner from I-5.
Our room was clean, had a refrigerator and microwave and a free wireless internet (aside from regular cable tv, coffeemaker and iron). The stuff was nice, helpful and friendly.
All in all, I think it was a great value for the $60 or so we paid per day.

• Stayed June 2005