“Do NOT be afraid.”

Ranked #21 of 615 Restaurants in Eugene
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: 100% Vegan Comfort Food with a southern twist - Mostly Organic, All Non-Gmo. Family-friendly. All are welcome!
Portland, Oregon
“Do NOT be afraid.”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I was skeptical, I must say, about a Vegan restaurant that specialized in comfort food, but my vegan daughter convinced me that I would survive the experience. Now I'm afraid I sound like I'm some big meat eater, but I am not. In an average week I eat vegetarian about four days, have a little fish or chicken two other days, and quite honestly, eat vegan at least one day each week. So I was being pretty silly questioning the choice at all.
What a pleasant surprise. the place, an avowed diner, is small and charming with a real (not fake) fifties diner look - booths, a counter, black and white high polish lino floor.
The service was caring, accommodating and friendly. The waitress with candy apple red streaked hair was charming.
The food was DELICIOUS. I had the breakfast Classic: scrambled Eggfu, delicious home fries, seitan sausage (my first) and flapjacks with maple/agave syrup. All the food was great until I got to the flapjacks which I saved for last, and they were the very best pancakes I have ever eaten. Hands down. I would go back tomorrow (if I lived in Eugene) for those flapjacks.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank jmreviewer2016

“Easy to be vegan”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I ordered the omelette with cilantro, spinach and Daiya cheese. I added the sausage as well. I generally don't like big pieces of "fake" meat. I prefer smaller pieces that are nicely grilled on all sides to give a crispy texture. Next time, I would skip the "sausage". I loved the potaotes. The toast was good though I ordered it dry and it came with the spread on it. Oops! No biggie. My husband had the "Classic": scrambled tofu, tempeh and the potatoes. The meal also came with pancakes and they were delicious. Way too much food. One down side: the bathrooms were a little dirty. So glad I didn't check out the bathroom before ordering or I might not have stayed. I would have missed a wonderful meal. Coffee was good and they had the coconut milk half n'half. Reasonably priced at $10 per meal. We got there at 9 am when they opened. by 10am there was a line so if you're not into lines, get there early. Nice touch that they provide a mountain of board games for the kiddies to play with.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank littlethinker
Eugene, Oregon, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh, Healthy and Tasty - love at first bite!”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I have the pleasure of living in Eugene where this little gem of a restaurant is. Even if you are not vegan, or vegetarian (I am not), you will find very yummy offerings on their very creative menu.
Everything I have tried (which has been a lot) is always fresh, very well prepared and tasty.
For those who wish for something truly prepared with care and your health in mind it is a must try. For me I try to eat there as often as I can - I highly recommend the 'Chicn Fried Steak and Mashed taters with cashew gravy. Don't judge til after your first visit and I am sure you will be headed there on a regular basis. PS they have the best french fries of anywhere I have had, they are fresh, hot and not greasy ( and offer Cajan :) too) For the GF crowd this place has many options for you too.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Pam E
Eugene, Oregon
“Food decent-service not so much so”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Waitress seated us and disappeared. Saw her later with her coat on leaving the building! hmmm... We tried and tried to flag down another waitress with no luck. She finally came by and took our order. She then delivered the wrong food. :( I asked for decaf coffee and was informed they mix hot water with instant. Yuck. So I ordered reg instead and it was barely lukewarm. The soup of the day was roasted veg stew and it was fairly tasty. It came with cornbread - I asked for plain but was given jalapeno in error. Salad was good. Friend had chili and said it was good. Between the poor service and messed up order it took away from the food for sure.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sunday1953
“Vegan Comfort Good at its Best”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Visited the cafe while touring the University of Oregon. It was Mexican menu night. Although vegetarian, I'm not a big fan of vegetarian food that is made to taste like meat, but these folks made terrific enchiladas using local, organic, ingredients. The ambiance is simple but comfortable. The service was very good. The cost was modest. If I have the pleasure of returning to Eugene, I will definitely dine there again.

• Visited March 2013