“Vegetarian Paradise”

Ranked #20 of 617 Restaurants in Eugene
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: 100% Vegan Comfort Food with a southern twist - Mostly Organic, All Non-Gmo. Family-friendly. All are welcome!
“Vegetarian Paradise”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As a vegetarian growing up in Roseburg, Oregon, I had become accustom to very few menu options at restaurants. When I moved to Eugene I was surprised at all the vegetarian options at restaurants but I was BLOWN AWAY when I went to Cornbread Cafe. I have never been able to open a menu and pick anything to eat. It was overwhelming and delicious. I go to this restaurant as much as I can and every time I leave feeling full and happy. Order literally anything on the menu and you will love it!!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Lillian G

Portland, Oregon
“Vegan Comfort Food!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

This vegan diner in the middle of Eugene serves up some serious comfort food. Lots of deep fried stuff to keep your junk food cravings satiated. Most of the meals are based around either tofu, tempeh, seitan, or portobello mushroom. I would imagine that meat eaters could enjoy this place, but it is definitely aimed at vegans/vegetarians who want a classic American greesy spoon type meal with all the fixings. I wouldn't call the food "healthy", but they do use organic and locally sourced ingredients, and not everything on the menu is deep fried.

I ordered the popular "Eugenewich" with a side of crinkle fries. The sandwich was more like a burger and came on a fluffy white bun stuffed full with deep fried tofu, onions, carrot bacon (deep fried thin slices of carrot), a slice of melted "cheese", cooked onion, lettuce, tomato, and lots of saucy goodness. It was ridiculously rich, and reminded me of a deluxe bacon cheeseburger. The crinkle fries were plentiful and good, but in the future I would order a healthier side such as coleslaw to balance out the deep fried intensity of the sandwich. The meal was seriously filling and very rich.

The service was good. The setting is a basic American style diner with booth seating and simple decor. Prices were fair for the quantity and quality of food received.

Overall this restaurant delivered what it promised and I would consider eating there again when some vegan comfort food cravings arise.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Shawn_Storm
West Linn, Oregon
“A great meal”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stopped by the Cornbread Cafe on our way to Portland from Southern Oregon. My current diet is that of a gluten free vegan variety. Hard to eat while traveling. What a wonderful experience. Staff was lovely and very helpful. Food was wonderful. gluten free cornbread with jalapenos. Wow. I had the "fried chicken" Tempeh with gravy and mashed potatoes. Loved it. Will definitely find reasons to return.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Paul S
Veneta, Oregon
“feed your stomach and your nostalgia”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is my husband's favorite place to eat. It offers "vegan comfort food". Set in an old fashioned 50's diner style ambience. I'm always amused at the variety of people we see dining there. What I love best is that both hubby and I have dairy allergies, but at Cornbread Cafe we can order anything off the menu, including usually out of reach "cheesy" or "creamy" meals. Everything is delicious enough to appeal to nonvegans as well. Although, be forewarned, this is COMFORT food, not necessarily the healthiest fare. There are lots of deep fried offerings and most things have more calories than one could eat on a regular basis. But it's perfect for when you need to indulge. There jalapeno cornbread is wonderful. I'd offer menu suggestions but we've eaten there often enough to know there's really no bad choices.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank TeaFaery
Portland, Oregon
“Better than it looks!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Heading to a destination just south of Eugene, I chose this vegan restaurant as a stopping point for a Sunday brunch. Sunday's they serve breakfast all day. I was a little unsure looking at the restaurant from the outside. It's extremely dated. The inside played off the 70's vibe, keeping in line with the light fixtures, colors and kitschy wall art. It's very small and we waited for a few minutes for a table (good sign that it's busy). The staff was very friendly and easy going. If you are looking for a vegan comfort food breakfast...this is the place! Reminiscent of the old diner with the thick and heavy coffee cups, with refills and creamer! Solid biscuits and gravy, french toast, omelets...on and on. We were not disappointed! Customers were still coming and going and rarely was there an empty seat. We would definitely return, especially to try the usual lunch meal! By the way, as with other reviewers, my husband is not vegan or vegetarian and he enjoyed the meal as much as I did! My son devoured as much as he could of his french toast. Truly comfort food like my friends mom's used to make (my mom...not such a good cook) :-)

• Visited April 2014