“Comfort food with a twist”
Review of Koho Bistro - CLOSED

Koho Bistro
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, we tried Koho Bistro on our first of three nights in Eugene. It is casual, unpretentious and quite good. The locally sourced meats and vegetables are an integral part of the comfort food with a twist approach they employ. The three meat loaf was very good. Better than many I've tried elsewhere. My girlfriend had the Game Hen with Mac and Cheese. That is a standout on the menu. The excellent beer selection (tap and bottled) is IPA heavy. The wine list is extensive enough to satisfy most anyone. Koho Bistro is a good bet in Eugene!

1  Thank rlpack1956

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We've eaten at Koho Bisto several times and have given three gift certificates to friends. I even wrote a glowing TA review earlier in the year. Yesterday, I got out of the hospital after major surgery. Since it was our wedding anniversary, we ordered takeout from -- where else? -- Koho Bistro. Since I feel responsible for the previous unqualified note I wrote, I now need to add a couple of postscripts based on last night's takeout meal:

1.) The scallops starter was divine. However, $14 seems pretty steep for two scallops, regardless how good they are. Maybe it's our fault for not asking about the quantity before ordering.
2.) The wild salmon entree was overcooked, dry and tasteless. There was no thyme and Aji Amarillo chili viniagrette in evidence, as promised on the menu.
3.) My husband and I decided to split the harvest salad. The menu promises a variety of seasonal squash and roasted root vegetables, however we only detected one type of squash. The portion wasn't adequate for one person, and certainly not for splitting.

We will definitely return to Koho Bistro, since our positive experiences there far outweigh these few criticisms.

2  Thank laurielizard
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I love the Koho! It has the best atmosphere and amazing staff! Usually when I go out, I stick to what I like (or know). Everytime I go to the Koho I try something new- and LOVE it everytime. The chef did used to work for Hugh Hefner- so you KNOW you will be eating good!
This restaurant has amazing/friendly staff and a great bar! The drinks are always perfect and if you are lucky enough to sit at the bar- the bartender Cory will keep you laughing the whole night. I highly reccomend this restaurant- you will not be disapointed!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

What a hidden gem. The restaurant location itself is a bit out of the way--definitely a 'destination' not so much a spot to happen upon.

The atmosphere is cool and sleek with an open feel. I absolutely love the copper tables and lighting.

Service was impressive. We had a birthday reservation for 16 and were treated with care and attention even though our waiter had other tables to cover. He was very knowledgeable about the menu, specials, drinks and overall items in each menu offering. My only thought was that with recent positive media, they seemed busy enough to need someone who was available for water/drink refills, and help with clearing empty plates--which I inquired about and they were in the hiring process for someone to do just that.

The food was divine. It is very obvious that the menu is created with care and attention to local ingredients and it tasted fresh, crisp and pure. I was lucky enough to be dining with enough people to sample a bit of every item on their summer menu--the wilted spinach salad comes with a smoked egg puree that is positively amazing. The pea salad was so fresh and flavorful that I could have eaten it as an entree and left happy.
As for entrees, the Berkshire pork chop was my favorite (delectable house-made apple butter and some of the best potatoes I've ever tasted!)--followed closely by the hanger steak and Peking duck.

Desserts are elegant and flavorful. The ganache is rich and sweet--and paired with the rose panna cotta made for quite the treat.

All in all, I felt like I was eating like royalty and was treated as such.

Impressive! A rare all-inclusive experience. Thank you!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

A nice looking place with great possibilities. I want it to succeed. This was my second visit. I was disappointed. The wait staff was undertrained or ill suited for the work. The food was pretentious. The fish was overcooked. The duck was over cooked. There were oddly named sauces that did not make the dishes better. I want to tell them to stick with the basics and make great food. If they do, they will become great.