“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Mixed Feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

If I were to rate this B&B just on the breakfast I would only give it a very average review.
The portions were small and the food rather tasteless. I am not a big eater and I walked away hungry. Also, the chocolates in the room were never replenished after the first night of a three night stay. A little touch but it would have been nice. I rate it very good because the property is well maintained, it is clean and the bed was comfortable. The decor is very kitsch but I can live with that since it is a matter of personal taste. The only other thing that bothered me was the bathrobes provided in the rooms were made out of polyester rather than having any cotton. Perhaps I have been spoiled by some of the other places I have stayed at recently that were outstanding!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
lattexpress, Owner at C'est La Vie Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Our guest had self-imposed dietary restrictions of gluten and dairy intolerance. On that particular morning we had served a delectable hot meal, strawberry clafoutis for our other guests in addition to a simpler fare, albeit it was not as tasty. In the future we will try to prepare more flavorful dishes that are both gluten and dairy free.

Incidentally, we had also invited her daughter who was a vegan, to join us for breakfast as our guest. When leaving, she was gracious enough to remark "Thank you for taking good care of my parents while they stayed at your B&B."

We also instructed our indefatigable housekeeper to leave more premium chocolate squares for our extended stay guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were quite comfortable in the "Matisse" room upstairs, the bed is very comfortable and the room well appointed. The house is a mix of true Victorian and fantasy, there are lots of fun little places in the house to enjoy, such as a tiny upstairs patio that is perfect for two to have coffee (just outside the business center). I can't resist a clawfoot tub, and it was just wonderful on a rainy evening. In fact I can only fault three things and they are not severe: first there is a fanlight above the room door so lights in the hall may disturb total-dark sleepers; the breakfast was of the fussy and non-substantial type (I am a breakfast traditionalist) and there are rather allot of fake "Paris" items about the house, but over-all the homes almost Disney campiness is quite fun. The host is a talker, but seldom requires any response. Best of all the neighborhood while a tad down at heels is genuine and very nice to walk in.

Room Tip: It is a quite neighborhood after ten so any room should be fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed for two nights at C'est La Vie, in May 2012. Jack was our host and a delightful man with a wonderful sense of humor, he always had a story to tell. It was lovely to meet someone so passionate about his home and garden. The rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. The breakfast was certainly a little different, maybe it is the "French Thing". My husband and I were visiting from Australia along with a friend from Nevada who was there on a business trip. We wouldn't hesitate in staying at CLV again if we ever returned to Eugene.
Thank you Jack for your wonderful hospitality, I wish you well. Kate Dillon, Buderim, Queensland.

Room Tip: all rooms are very good, some larger than others
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KateD1104
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs around the country and just spent a delightful six nights at C'est La Vie, a wonderful bed and breakfast in a residential area within walking distance of downtown Eugene and its nice shops and Saturday Market. It was my first stay in this "not so Victorian B&B," which is a beautifully restored residence featuring different full breakfasts every day. The gardens, lovingly tended by Jack, are exquisite and of course it was the perfect time of year to see them. My room, the Matisse, featured a comfortable queen bed, a small flat-panel TV, a roomy en suite bath with claw foot tub, and temperature control. I slept incredibly well! Owner Anne Marie was in Paris but Jack joined us for breakfast each day, prepared to talk about the house, the restored antiques, the gardens or what to see in Eugene. It was a wonderful stay and I'll be back!

Room Tip: All rooms have en suite baths. The most private room is above the garage -- the Casablanca. It ove...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JulieMeierWright
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We enjoyed one night at CLV on a recent visit to Eugene. As others have stated, this is a beautiful property that is well maintained. Our room was nice decorated and comfortable. The pantry was a nice touch with beverages and fresh cookies. Jack was a delightful host. The breakfast was just ok, not what I expected from such an elegant B&B. Despite this, I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AWN
portland, oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I greatly appreciated the hospitality at C'est La Vie in Eugene! Jack was a gracious host; even waiting up for us as we got into town so very late. What a nice thing to see your host, standing on the porch awaiting our arrival and helping us in the door and showing us around.

The linens were heavenly. The house was relaxing and quiet; i only wish we had been able to visit a little bit longer. Next time, for sure!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank patgrennan
El Portal, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at C'est la Vie on an extended trip visiting colleges. It was wonderful- a lovely place, very comfortable room, and Jack was a fantastic Eugene ambassador. We couldn't have hoped for a nicer stopover. P.S. Ask for the guided tour of the garden.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family