“What the French call "Les Incompetents"”
Review of C'est La Vie Inn

C'est La Vie Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“What the French call "Les Incompetents"”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I'll start by giving credit where credit is due: the property and the rooms are wonderful. The gardens are beautiful and the husband innkeeper was very helpful and made suggestions for restaurants and services while in Eugene. However, our two night stay became increasingly ridiculous and as a result I cannot stress this enough: stay somewhere else. Read on for the full story or skip to the last two paragraphs.

The husband innkeeper checked us in and we were told that there was a mix up. They had already checked someone else into the room we reserved. It seemed strange, but mix-ups do happen. "C'est La Vie", right? He gave us a larger room for the same price and we were told that we might have to switch rooms back to the room we originally booked the next day. Not the best situation, but manageable. The next morning I asked the wife innkeeper about the room switch and I was told that we were fine where we were. Great! So we went off to enjoy Eugene for the day.

We came home late in the evening around 9:30 to find someone else sleeping in the room! I literally unlocked the door and nearly walked in on this poor soul! So there we were: without a room, no idea where our stuff was, no word or prior warning about this direct contradiction to what we were told earlier and no clue where to find the innkeepers. We rang the doorbell and the husband arrived and showed us to the alternate room (still a _different_ room from the one we had originally booked for two nights). They moved our belongings to the new room which was done without our permission. I found this act to be completely rude and a little bit creepy. It angered my spouse greatly. In the morning my spouse politely asked to be refunded for the 2nd night and the husband innkeeper complied. We went outside to pack our stuff and leave when the wife innkeeper came out and started yelling at us! Yes, fellow traveler, you read that correctly - yelling at us without provocation. Yelling at 7:30 in the morning while other guests and neighbors were sleeping. Yelling because why? Because we had the audacity to register a legitimate complaint? In the exchange that ensued (which I videotaped out of complete disbelief), the innkeeper called my spouse crazy and banished us from ever returning to the inn (remember the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld?).

I'll be fair: if you don't have a problem with a complete stranger touching and moving your things around without your permission or you don't mind coming in late in the evening and walking in on someone else, then I'm sure you will find this inn more than accommodating. After all, the innkeeper told us during her verbal rampage that she moves people around "all of the time." However, if this kind of thing is problematic for you, then you might want to find somewhere else to stay because not only is it likely to happen to you as well, but you will be yelled at, insulted and banished if you complain.

The food was also very disappointing. Small portions and mostly flavorless. C'est La Vie is an appropriate name for this inn, roughly translating to "That's Life" right? Well, "That's Life" is what you say in your everyday life when things go wrong, but it is not what you want to say when you are on a vacation. In fact, I think most people go on holiday so that they can escape from having to say "Well, that's life!" I'm sure Eugene has much better establishments.

13 Thank mergPDX998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 August 2010

lovely victorian B&B, don't worry...not too many ruffles. We were upgraded to the suite in the carriage house with a great view of the backyard and its beautiful plants and garden gauge railroad. Comfy bed, plenty of room, jetted tub in room. Nice location for things to do in Eugene like U of O and the art museum and a scenic drive to many covered bridges. Friendly hosts happy to share the info on the renovation of their beautiful home, eclectic neighborhood and local interests. Yummy breakfasts and fresh cookies

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We loved our stay in this beautiful B&B in Eugene, Oregon. Our only regret was that we didn't have more time to enjoy the lovely gardens. The breakfast was fantastic and the host was very gracious and friendly. We will definitely stay here whenever we get to Eugene again.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 July 2010

My daughter and I decided to stay in a B&B during her college orientation instead of a hotel and we were delighted. When we arrived at the Inn we were greeted by Anne. She gave us recommendations of a wonderful dessert bar, Sweet Life, which we loved as well. The room was very clean, well decorated and the breakfast was fabulous. I will definitely come again when we visit our daughter at the UO!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Carnation, Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2010

From the minute I knocked on the front door of this beautiful Victoria Mansion I knew I had found somewhere special to stay while on Eugene on business!! When inn keeper Anne Marie showed me to my room (the Gaugan) and welcomed me with her heavy French accent I melted! I have traveled to France a few times and miss it very much...I long to return. I got my "Paris fix" while staying in this best ever Bed and Breakfast! The breakfast was home cooked, large, and delicious! (Oui!) My room was heavenly! My bed was beyond comfy with a memory foam mattress and 600 ct. sheets! The garden and tour given by her husband Jack was delightful! I could not have had a better experience and will back again and again. ANYONE looking for an OUTSTANDING place for business or romance will find it here!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The B&B was very nice, the rooms were nicely decorated and clean, and the gardens were lovely however the breakfast was nothing special. In fact the first day when we came down for breakfast the plate of food we received was cold (not to tasty for potatoes, etc.) The second day we arrived right at 8:30 a.m. for breakfast and although the food was warmer it was not anything special. The fruit before the main course was very nice both days. Probably would look around before we stayed at this B&B again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flowersinthegarden
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a week. The hosts, the breakfasts, the gardens and the cookies were great. We'd highly recommend C'est La Vie Inn.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple