“Solid Italian in Eugene”

Beppe & Gianni's Trattoria
Ranked #8 of 641 Restaurants in Eugene
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were warmly greeted at the door and shown to a table by the window. Our waitress took our appetizer order and enumerated the specials - three seafood dishes - and the seafood was from a local purveyor - Newport's. But, I knew what I wanted once I saw the menu online - their amazing riff on the classic Italian Eggplant Parmesan. This was more like an eggplant enchilada -with the eggplant as the tortilla filled with parmesan, spinach, mozzarella and dried tomato smothered in pomodoro. Absolutely superb! My caprese was really great too! My daughter had Pappardelle con Carne - pasta with braised beef in a sauce made with Chianti, tomatoes and garlic. She loved it! We'll be back.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The restaurant is in an older Eugene remodeled home and is quite lovely throughout. We arrived at 5 pm on a Thursday and were seated right away. The restaurant quickly filled up and by the time we left around 6 pm there were several couples waiting. They do not take reservations.

Seating: The major complaint I have is the seating. The tables are extremely small. They had to take our bread dish away just to make room for the main entree. There were two couples sitting across from us and it appears like their table for 4 was no bigger than 2 of our tables put together. The tables were so close together that whenever a server serviced their table, the server's rear end was nearly touching our table. It was one of the most uncomfortable seating arrangement I have experienced at a restaurant. Bottom line is there are simply too many tables in the restaurant. The worse part is that they are extremely small and too close together. Was it loud? Yes. The appearance to me was that since business is good, they try to squeeze as many in as possible. Regardless of anything else, this alone would keep us from returning.

Wait staff: Excellent! They were prompt, attentive and professional.

Food: The food was average. Not excellent and not bad, simply average. In my opinion I couldn't tell much difference between this food and one of the larger "chain" restaurants. I had lasagna which was just average. My wife had the "bishops hats" a ravioli looking pasta shaped in the form of a bishop's hat. Her dish was slightly better than mine but still nothing that would cause us to order it again.

Parking: While they do have parking, I suggest you do not bring a mid-size or larger SUV. We did and could not turn around and drive out. We had to back out a long driveway all the way into the street which was not the easiest thing to do. Street parking is limited as this is a residential area and much of the street parking appears to be taken up by residents.

Since the food alone is not enough to draw us back and the seating is so awful, it is unlikely we will return.

1  Thank joe928
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Yes we were all hungry, but our party of 7 loved it here. We began with Bruschetta as an app.(topped with an olive mix or fresh garlicy - both great. A few had salads while the rest moved to excellent pasta dishes. 2 of us had angel hair pasta in a perfectly spiced (= med.) fresh tomatoe sauce with scallops and shrimps. MANY med. shrimp and about 4 big scallops. (24 each) Amazingly the seagfood wasn't over cooked. My husband liked his beef in a smilar sauce. 2 vegetarians and 1 vegan among us were very satisfied.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were passing though town, and found this great place. The waitress was quite knowledgeable about the wine list and we ordered a nice inexpensive bottle on her recommendation . Not feeling adventurous , we simply ordered caesar salad and lasagna. But both excellent. Overall, a nice dinner on the road home from CA. to WA.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Haven't been in Eugene for several months when we enjoyed a nice dinner at Beppe & Gianni's. They don't take reservations so we made it a point to arrive early. As there was the big track meet going on, they decided to charge $10/perking in their little dirt lot where we had always parked for free. Really? Our table was squashed between two posts so that my elbow was constantly in danger of being hit. The food was good, with not a single change, update, or refresh to the menu. Gets old after several visits. Crowded and noisy as we expected, and we felt hurried. Maybe it's time to check out some new spots in Eugene.