“Disappointed by rude Employee”

Cascades Raptor Center
Ranked #2 of 86 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nestled on a wooded hillside in south Eugene, this nature center and wildlife hospital specializes in birds of prey. Some 50 resident birds of 30 native species are on display, including owls, falcons, hawks, to bald and golden eagles. Open Tues-Sun and some major Mon holidays.
Lompoc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointed by rude Employee”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

like others... we had a "bad employee" I guess. We pulled in to park (in a stall someone just pulled out of) to have a lady run up and yell at me that I was not allowed to park there as it was an employee spot (though it was marked). She then proceeded to tell me three locations where I could park. 1st was on a dirt pile, 2nd double park behind a volunteer car or 3rd accross the road in the trail parking lot. These options were not offered but demanded. Being we had two kids with us we were not going to make the hike... So I left with a bad feeling that employees are more important than visitors.
By the way, I am a rescue transporter and volunteer from CA and this is disappointing on how we were treated. Instead of fighting someone who was willing to yell at a guest, we just left. Never to return.

Visited November 2013
9 Thank Justin L
LAShimmel, General Manager at Cascades Raptor Center, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
My sincere apologies for this. You are right, there are no marked 'employee only' slots; I suspect that the volunteer who did this was feeling protective of the slot that I typically use, as I also live on-site as the caretaker and on-call responder. I also apologize for the fact that you felt yelled at, which is certainly not our normal way of engaging visitors! Our parking is, unfortunately, limited by our small site and its steepness, and on busy days we can get full. Our volunteers double-up in one part (marked) of the parking lot. Sometimes visitors don't park close together, which can compound the problem. But none of that excuses how you were treated and I am sorry you had such a poor experience. I will make sure it does not happen again. If you can get past this and are ever in the area again, I would be happy to comp your visit.

Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fun educational experience”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Small outdoor facility. Not very handicapped accessible, but for everyone else, including small kids, it is a great place to see local raptors up close. Good information on each type of bird. It is tucked on the shoulder of Spencer Butte and great hiking trails are nearby.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ORhiker
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Off the commercial path.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Very well planned rescue of our wildlife. The birds are incredible up close and personal! Such wonderful staff!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank danceon
Eugene, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very intimate look at raptors”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I took friends of mine to the Raptor Center when they visited here from London. We had such an extraordinary day walking through the center. This is a wonderful place that rescues and rehabilitates when possible, birds of prey. You really get a closeup view of the birds in their enclosures. I had never seen so many of these species except in photos and they are so beautiful and awesome! The trainers bring a few out and answer any questions that you may have. We were five feet from a large eagle! They also have talks where you sit for a half hour or so and they tell you about the habits of specific birds. It's informative and a great place to take the kids. They will have fun and learn something at the same time!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank schin638
Eugene, Oregon
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A gem for bird-lovers”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a small, but well-run bird sanctuary that has an excellent collection of rescued raptors and other birds. It's tucked into a beautiful little corner of South Eugene, and well worth a visit. While you're there, you can also hike up Spencer Butte for an amazing view of the Willamette Valley.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Larry W

Been to Cascades Raptor Center? Share your experiences!