“Loved it!!!”

Cascades Raptor Center
Ranked #2 of 87 things to do in Eugene
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Nestled on a wooded hillside in south Eugene, this nature center and wildlife hospital specializes in birds of prey. Some 50 resident birds of 30 native species are on display, including owls, falcons, hawks, to bald and golden eagles. Open Tues-Sun and some major Mon holidays.
Portland, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved it!!!”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We completely enjoyed touring the raptor center! The two employees we spoke to today (04/05/14) were friendly, informative and very helpful. The tour is self-guided, which we loved, since you can go at your own pace. The enclosures were very well with the information regarding each of the raptors, how they were acquired and why they cannot be released. There are also signs at each pen which explains the general information as far as where they are usually found geographically, migration, food, size, weight, etc. At one point the handlers brought out a Peregrine Falcon and an Osprey. it was amazing to see them up close and we were able to ask questions and gain a whole new appreciation for these beautiful creatures. Such a wonderful place! The fee is minimal and certainly goes toward supporting a wonderful sanctuary. I also would like to add, the feel of the center is peaceful, It flows nicely and since it is built among trees in the hills and away from cities or towns it feels quite peaceful. Just a heads up, not sure about other restrooms on site, but something like the "Honeybucket" is what you will notice (just in case this matters to you). Again, we were very happy with our visit here, and this is including my 9 year old! We will most definitely be back!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank johnniegirl64

Corvallis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Totally amazing”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This place is incredible.I looked forward to their annual Open House, as I could then bring my three children for no charge. It's totally worth the entrance fee if you have it, but I was on a very tight budget when my kids were small, and just couldn't swing it. The birds, the atmosphere, the cages, the setting, the dedication-- all made a very strong impression on my kids, and on me. Great experience, every year.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Eve M
oregon
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Close up exposure to raptors.”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Was thrilled to be able to have such close up views of the birds. Not something that most facilities afford. Have been there several times and was fortunate enough that some of the handlers were out working with the birds so we were able to stand very close for an amazing look. Nice enclosures and great experience.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank OregonBliss
Lompoc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointed by rude Employee”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

like others... we had a "bad employee" I guess. We pulled in to park (in a stall someone just pulled out of) to have a lady run up and yell at me that I was not allowed to park there as it was an employee spot (though it was marked). She then proceeded to tell me three locations where I could park. 1st was on a dirt pile, 2nd double park behind a volunteer car or 3rd accross the road in the trail parking lot. These options were not offered but demanded. Being we had two kids with us we were not going to make the hike... So I left with a bad feeling that employees are more important than visitors.
By the way, I am a rescue transporter and volunteer from CA and this is disappointing on how we were treated. Instead of fighting someone who was willing to yell at a guest, we just left. Never to return.

Visited November 2013
9 Thank Justin L
LAShimmel, General Manager at Cascades Raptor Center, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
My sincere apologies for this. You are right, there are no marked 'employee only' slots; I suspect that the volunteer who did this was feeling protective of the slot that I typically use, as I also live on-site as the caretaker and on-call responder. I also apologize for the fact that you felt yelled at, which is certainly not our normal way of engaging visitors! Our parking is, unfortunately, limited by our small site and its steepness, and on busy days we can get full. Our volunteers double-up in one part (marked) of the parking lot. Sometimes visitors don't park close together, which can compound the problem. But none of that excuses how you were treated and I am sorry you had such a poor experience. I will make sure it does not happen again. If you can get past this and are ever in the area again, I would be happy to comp your visit.
Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fun educational experience”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Small outdoor facility. Not very handicapped accessible, but for everyone else, including small kids, it is a great place to see local raptors up close. Good information on each type of bird. It is tucked on the shoulder of Spencer Butte and great hiking trails are nearby.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ORhiker

Been to Cascades Raptor Center? Share your experiences!