“Best in Eugene?”

Sweet Life Patisserie
Ranked #1 of 19 Dessert in Eugene
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Pastry cases packed with piles of petit fours, eclairs, creme brulee, lemon bars, cookies and tartlets. Rows of desserts tempt you for a slice: tiramisu, mousse tortes, chocolate silks, fruit and cream pies, and cheesecakes. Another pastry case holds a large assortment of ready to go cakes for any occasion. For breakfast there's an abundance of morning pastries. We also offer products with no dairy, eggs, or animal products; and wheat or gluten free desserts.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Ok, maybe I'll buy that ("best in Eugene"), but hard to believe this is best on the planet or anywhere close to best in a bigger city (think Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, you get it). Came here for the first time on a Tuesday night and it was packed...good sign. Stood in line and waited for about 15 mins before I got up to the front. Then the gal behind the counter asks the guy behind me what he wanted to order. OKAY?! I didn't say anything because I thought she was just taking his ice cream order (I figured maybe they were separate stations). But no, he then continued to order stuff from the bakery case. I'm annoyed that not only did the employee ignore me, but the guy behind me didn't even say that I was next. Counted to 10 and waited for the next call. Next employee comes and she helps the people behind me too! WTH!!! Am I invisible?! I raised my hand and said I was next. I was pretty upset but tried not to be a jerk about it. The employee didn't even apologize; just took my order and moved me along. Wow, great customer service folks!!

Now, onto the desserts. Got the tirimisu cake slice, eclair, coconut cupcake and mint ice cream; wanted to get a variety to see how they really bake here. Overall, disappointed. The best thing was the tirimisu cake, which was quite good and made with a delicious ganache frosting. Eclair was good, but nothing extraordinary. Coconut cupcake was horrible! It tasted like cleanser, the cake was very heavy/dense and the frosting was very off-putting; and I LOVE coconut so this was a real shame. The mint ice cream was made with real mint leaves so it reminded me almost of a salad (yuck!)...not appetizing when you're expecting a dessert flavor. I think a big part of why this place is busy is because they're open late and their aren't too many choices in Eugene at that late hour. But I'll likely not return because it left a bad taste in my mouth literally and figuratively.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

If there is such a thing as a European Hippie vibe the Sweet Life Patisserie has it. Beautiful croissants. Just perfect. Worth getting off the freeway for.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I tried the blueberry cheesecake and had a medium roast cup of coffee. Not too sweet, just right. Perfect end to a nice evening.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

It's pretty much what the title says, it's a coffeehouse with real pastries, not that STUFF chains have resorted to. Tasty, prompt, inexpensive, yummy.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Friends living here consider this the ultimate in sweets in the city. We went for coffee & dessert and I must say both were heavenly. Loved the rich dark roast coffee and had a Josephine which was filled with custard inside a crispy birds nest type pastry and given delicious berry sauce to pour over it. Wow, what's not to love? Tried the pecan pie bar and it was as good as any I've had in any southern state, gooey and caramel flavored chocked full of pecans. The turtle brownie my friend had was also chewy and chocolatey. You cannot go wrong here for coffee and a stellar dessert.