“Excellent place without busting the travel budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campbell House, A City Inn

Campbell House, A City Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
“Excellent place without busting the travel budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Very convenient location for any in town destination. Next to a couple parks with good walking trails. Excellent restaurant for dining in. I had the braised beef short ribs. Outstanding with a glass of cab-sauv. Here is the you tube for the house short rib preparation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Puq-bfvzqGk#!

I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leah C, Manager at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are very lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of Eugene. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, our restaurant and especially the short ribs. Thank you for posting the video of the process. They do pair quite nicely with the Cab-Sauv! We very much look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Ronald, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I typically stay in hotels when traveling but after staying here I will be putting more emphases on Inns. This place have only 13 rooms but it also has a full kitchen and makes a great breakfast to get you going in the morning. My room was on the small side but still adequate, it was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Upon check in I was offered a complementary glass of wine then I was shown my room by the host and breakfast was included in the price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Leah C, Manager at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thank you for posting your wonderful review! We have many new guests this year than are trying out Inns versus hotels and are leaving us quite satisfied with their choice. We actually have a total of 19 rooms (13 in the main house, an additional 6 suites in the carriage house on the same property). Every room is a little different, but offers a very personal touch. All of our rooms can be viewed on our website.
Offering a great breakfast to all of our guests is one of our most important amenities along with a complimentary glass of wine which makes the overall price a great deal, especially during our off season (November through March). Our small and cozy rooms are quite affordable and best booked for (1) person rather than a couple due to the size of the bed. We do offer complimentary upgrades to larger rooms if available, so please contact us directly to book. Hope to see you again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We live here in Eugene but stayed here one night while our floors were being refinished and we had to be out of our house. Our room was charming and had all the amenities - jacuzzi tub, tv, wifi, refrigerator, fireplace. The furnishings were very cute. We enjoyed our welcome glass of wine and also enjoyed the breakfast. All of the staff were very nice - the young woman serving breakfast, the fellow who helped us with the TV remotes, etc. Very quiet park-like setting. There are trains that go by periodically, but it did not bother us. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars. Our room was in the "carraige house," a building just across from the main house.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Leah C, Manager at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your "home away from home" stay with us and took advantage of all of our amenities! Your comments about our staff and our breakfast are so appreciated. We really aim to create a comfortable experience with plenty of ambiance for all of our guests, even if it is just for one night. Because we love our local community, We would be so pleased to have you join us for dinner one night (we are open 5-9pm Wednesday-Saturday). We do offer outdoor dining 6/1-9/1 and many of our "Eugenians" return often during our summer season because the grounds are such a serene setting in which to enjoy a reasonably priced fine meal. Oddly enough, the " the fellow who helped us with the TV remotes, etc." is actually our owner and executive Chef and would be thrilled to see you again.
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was excited the minute I drove to the Inn. The grounds were beautiful, shaded, and refreshing after a long car trip. My interactions with all staff were great, everyone one was smiling and happy. Hotels never seem to be this personal, and that's why I chose a B&B. I was taken to my comfortable and lovely room where I settled in immediately to my "home" for the night. My dinner and service was amazing and loved every bite! It was great not having to venture out although there is quite a selection in the surrounding area. At night the Inn was peaceful and the free wi-fi is a pleasant bonus. My bed was super comfy and the sheets were.....amazing. I'm going to get a set for myself. My only regret is that I came alone and didn't have anybody to share this with. When I return, and I will return, I will stay longer than one night.

Room Tip: Call and ask to see if they have a specific type of room that you're looking for.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much! We look forward to having you join us again next year during your annual visit to the great Pacific Northwest! Enjoy those sheets at home and thanks for asking about them. We really love them and enjoy referring our guests to the website (comphysheets.com). There is nothing better than a comfortable night's sleep.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My room was large enough, but was worn and a bit depressing. The owners did not appear to be present and the staff were left to work as they saw fit. The breakfast entrees were terrifble, although the scone and fruit were good. The facility is in a pretty setting and thankfully was close to restaurants to get better dinners

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the back entrance -- noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Leah C, Owner at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
The Campbell House itself is a landmark building in Eugene, Oregon and was built in 1892. When the present owners took control of the property in late 2012, they began the process of full scale renovations. To date such renovations are about halfway completed. Due to the extremely high occupancy throughout much of the year, renovations are completed during periods of lower occupancy. Due to the historical nature of the property and its importance to the heritage of the local community, all restorations are done in such a manner to keep this historical nature intact. Without specifics it is hard to tell which room you had stayed in and if any renovations have yet occurred in that space. Please keep in mind that the goal of the property is to maintain a degree of uniqueness in each of the guest rooms rather than to emulate the décor of flag or chain hotels.

I’m sorry to hear that you did not like your breakfast entrees. Generally speaking we have received positive feedback from guests regarding the complimentary breakfast. Again without specific as to what entrees you were served it is difficult to comment any further. I would like to note that if our guests are not satisfied with the sweet or savory options which are provided, we are more than happy to prepare an alternate breakfast choice.

Guest feedback is always appreciated and if you would take the time to e-mail us at info@campbellhouse.com to let us know further details of your stay that would be greatly appreciated. Guest feedback is highly valued and our staff is fully committed to providing the best possible guest experience.

Since you seem to be an extremely active Trip Advisor reviewer and an experienced traveler, perhaps you would allow me to make one request on behalf of other hospitality proprietors. These reviews do affect real businesses and hence the fates and fortunes of real people. I think that I speak for hospitality professionals everywhere when I kindly ask that you keep your reviews based off of actual experiences rather than entering the realm of guess and conjecture. Your inference that owners are not present (owners are on the property 365 days per year and readily available to guests) as well as the conclusion that you drew regarding dinners at our fine dining restaurant without actually having dinner at the restaurant are both erroneous and not based off of any actual experience during your stay.

Despite my issues with elements of your review, we appreciate your business and do encourage you to e-mail us more specific feedback so that we may make necessary changes to improve future guest stays.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I am not a B&B person. When I figured I was going to have to spend upwards of $100 for one night in a chain motel in Eugene, I checked this place out. So glad I did. Friendly staff, super relaxing, lovely grounds that provide great respite in the middle of the hot city in summer. My car broke down and they were fine with me storing my luggage and hanging out all day on the lawn until I got it back. My room was definitely small, but I'm only one person, so it was fine, and it is the smallest room there. Also, the bed is really soft, which I mention only because that's not my personal preference, so be aware.

Central air was a great plus, since my room was on an upper floor, but not individually climate controlled, except by opening window or turning on heat. Food was great and so nice not to have to go looking for it after a long drive, though had I wanted to, there are a number of brew pubs, bars, and restaurants in easy walking distance, as well as some great sights and in a slightly longer walk, the U of O campus. If you see beyond the floral patterns and pillows, you will definitely enjoy a relaxing stay at this place. I was sad they were sold out the next night that i was 'stranded,' because I would have loved a second stay!

Room Tip: Trains run through this part of town and is actively used. You will hear it (not feel it) so if that...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leah C, Manager at Campbell House, A City Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for choosing our property rather than a chain hotel. We find that guests such as yourself who decide to try us out once, always come back. We appreciate people so much that comment about your experience in such a positive manner despite the circumstances that required you to stay in Eugene. We are happy your enjoyed our restaurant as well even though there are many other options within walking distance. We are sorry we were not able to accomodate you for a second night due to the Inn being sold out, but glad we could offer a place to store your luggage and had space on our grounds for you to pass the time. We hope to see you again sometime! Have a great summer.
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

What an amazing place to stay. I was there with a group for an overnight event. The staff was so friendly, the accommodations were great. Yes the rooms are small, but the overall quality of the Inn, the grounds, furnishings, and on and on were incredible. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
1 Thank mullert
Thank you for your kind comments and we so are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We do have an assortment of rooms from our small and cozy size which you stayed in (4 of our 18 rooms have one full sized bed), but the remainder of our rooms in the main and carriage house are larger rooms with (1) queen or king sized bed, fireplaces, jacuzzi tubs,and extra amenities. Those rooms do run more in price, but dependent upon each guest's budget, our pricing structure is competitive with the Eugene area during the summer season. We look forward to having you stay with us again. On occasion, we do offer complimentary upgrades, so never hesitate to ask.