“Great Stay!”

Ranked #2 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was in Eugene for 1 night only, for business. I arrived late, the evening staff person acquainted me with my room and got me signed up for breakfast.Complimentary local wines and beer...a local ale and a fresh chocolate chip oatmeal cookie were perfect! I was up late working and the free wireless worked flawlessly with good speed, and there was very little noise in the neighborhood., The furnishings were cozy and comfortable, not fragile antiques. The desk in the room was very useful. The bed was comfortable with pillows of different densities to choose from. The bathroom was immaculately clean and cheery. The next morning I was up bright and early and enjoyed hot,fresh coffee, fresh fruit, fresh-squeezed orange juice and apple-nutbread before I chose the poached eggs over crispy polenta with goat cheese and tomato corn relish (over the blueberry -banana pancakes) with chicken-apple sausage. What a breakfast!
Because I knew my business in Eugene would be done by noon but my flight didn't leave until 7, I arranged in advance to return to the Oval Door Inn and use their library to work and relax for a few hours . So much nicer than waiting around in the airport!

Room Tip: Look at the photos of the room online and see if one suits your fancy..they are all different.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mangonboat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nyssa, Oregon
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Your can't go wrong with this B.B. we stay there for two wonderful days. This is our second time staying here and have been treated like royalty each time. The breakfast was great and the staff were wonderful. The rooms are spacious, with your own private bathrooms. A/C . They condiments/pop etc. available whenever you want them. This B.B is in a location that is close to center of the activities. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richardadams52
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is one of those situations where location, location, location doesn't fit. I was in Eugene for the football game. The only other time I was in a Eugene was three years ago again for a game. That prior visit, I stayed at the C'est La Vie Inn which is a wonderful bed and breakfast but not as closely located to downtown and Autzen so I decided to try the Oval Door. There is no comparison between the two. C'est La Vie is an incredible property whereas the Oval Door is just another dwelling from the outside and a bit tired inside. I feel bad stating things as such since, as you know, staying at a B&B is a personal experience but I wouldn't stay at the Oval Door again. Nothing particularly wrong but nothing special. If I return, I'll try The Inn at the 5th or C'est La Vie again depending on my mood (hotel v B&B).

Room Tip: Avoid top floor if you have a lot of luggage because there obviously is no elevator.
1 Thank TravelingBruin
innchefs, Owner at The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
We've been running this inn for 15 years, and sometimes it's hard to be objective. So, we want to say "thank you" for pointing out that our inn could use some refreshing. We have taken your opinion to heart and made some changes to the decor inside. The room you stayed in was meant to look antique..so that will not change, nor will our exemplary service and gourmet breakfast :) We wanted to you to know we appreciate your comments and value the opinion of every guest.
WI
Reviewed 23 October 2013

From the outside you would never know what lies within. The Oval Door is a wonderful place to stay, great ambiance on the main floor with a mixture of nicely decorated rooms with adequate space. The breakfasts were terrific with two varied hot items each day, baked goods, fresh fruit, and plenty of coffee, juice and tea. Nicely stocked refrig for guests and always fresh cookies--yum. If you are looking for a convenient location in downtown Eugene, give this a try.

Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were very fortunate that the owners allowed us to stay just one night on a weekend for my husband's birthday. At first the neighborhood concerned us a little but it turned out to be extremely conveniently located to the downtown area and the Valley River Center. We walked through the neighborhood on our way to downtown and it's really not bad - it's just Eugene. Our room was wonderfully set up and we were amazed at all the conveniences and touches - they've really thought of everything you might need. There was free beer, wine, soda, water, coffee, tea and delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies available at all times. Also free internet access, games, library, etc. Our room came with the access to the special bath across the hall (robes provided) and my husband and I took advantage of an evening bubble bath for two, complete with relaxing music. We were on the second floor at the back (Queen Anne's Lace) and didn't notice any street noise at all, although ear plugs were provided just in case. We didn't hear much guest noise either (quite hours between 10pm and 8 am). We had requested a coffee tray delivered to the room at 8 and breakfast at 8:30. When we arrived downstairs for breakfast, we were the last ones so we ended up seated in the library with one other guest. It was a little isolated but we're good company to each other and enjoyed the other guest. Breakfast was delicious! Fresh fruit, blueberry muffins, and a choice between an eggs benedict and lemon strawberry crepes. Both were wonderful! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Oval Door to anyone looking for a more luxurious and personalized experience with access to local attractions and restaurants. We would definitely stay again given the chance.

Room Tip: We felt our room, Queen Anne's Lace, was one of the best in the house (but then we didn't se...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
innchefs, Owner at The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thanks Alex and Sherrie. I'm glad it worked out that you could stay with us for one night. We sure appreciate all your kind words and we hope you will come back and see us again!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed one night while traveling between Vancouver and Gold Beach. We arrived at 6:30 p.m. after getting caught up at the border and in Portland commute traffic. Called the B&B and told them we would be late (they're only there between 3-6 to welcome guests). No problem, they gave us the front door code and left our room key inside. I guess I expected more. The neighborhood was a little dicey, especially the property across the street, the interior was a bit dated and our room, on the third floor, was straight out of the 80's/90's (1980's that is). There was supposed to be a night person, who wasn't anywhere around. So basically, it was like arriving to an empty house. There appeared to be only two other rooms occupied but we didn't know it until the next morning. There were, however, earplugs on the night stand. Hmmmm, it was a bit noisy at first from the neighbors but that quieted down early.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the inn, it was just that we didn't feel this place rated more than an average review.

Room Tip: If you don't like to climb to the third floor, be careful what room you choose.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Six Mile, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Oval Door for three nights. It is as close to perfect as you can get. Our room, which was Bamboo, was quiet and comfortable with all the amenities. Breakfast was a treat. I told Nicole that our best meals in Eugene were at The Oval Door. They seem to anticipate all your needs and are very helpful with information about Eugene and the surrounding area. It is an easy walk to the downtown area and Saturday Market as well as the river if you'd like to take a stroll. We plan another trip to Eugene and will absolutely be staying at The Oval Door.

Room Tip: Bamboo is on the third floor. I carried one suitcase and Nicole insisted on carrying the other. The...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
innchefs, Owner at The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Frank and Alicia, It was so wonderful to have you here. Your southern charm makes inn keeping easy!! Thank you for the surprise...I got it in the mail yesterday :). Nancy was thrilled to see all the old recipes from her time in the Carolinas. We hope to see you both again really soon...