“Special little B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Eugene B&B and Inns
“Special little B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

we spent 3 1/2 days here. Plenty of coffee and drinks. Very clean and comfortable. Cold or hot breakfast in the morning. The propriator and her assistants were friendly. Rooms large enough and ours had a Queen and twin with a bathroom and shower. I would love to return here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sjkRN2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We started staying here way before we knew of tripadvisor and we love how you can stay in a place over the years and return, and still be as happy as you were the first time. This is a place like that. It's charming and comfortable. Nichole and Melissa have an attention to detail providing quality amenities throughout. Their breakfasts are delightful as are all the other treats that they have to offer. We have stayed in several of their rooms over the years and they are all very comfortable and well appointed. We will continue to return and highly recommend the Oval Door.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

A bunch of friends descended on this place at the recommendation of a local and were not disappointed. For several of us this was our first time at a Bed & Breakfast and I am hooked. The home was so charming and welcoming. We were greeted by Nicole when we arrived and she helped us carry luggage upstairs to our room. We gathered in the great room and Nicole served us coffee/tea and fresh baked cookies. We had the Wild Rose room and it was gorgeous. All the rooms that we got to peek into were just a lovely as ours. We all loved the library with it's sliding ladder that spanned across two walls of the room. The grounds were well managed and the wrap around porch was very inviting. We were there for 4 nights and Melissa was there every morning to serve us a delicious gourmet breakfast each day. There were three options each day to choose from along with three fresh juices, coffee, tea and water. I can't wait to visit again . . . thank you Nicole, Melissa and your friendly staff for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SeasonedTraveler1009
Jacksonville, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

The B & B was rebuilt in the 90's after a fire burned down the original. It has retained an old country house kind of charm with the great advantage of feeling fresh and clean. We knew that we would be self-checking and that worked out fine. Our room, Forget-Me-Not, is very pleasant and has wonderful views of the enormous trees lining the street. The breakfast was quite good, though not "gourmet". The hosts inquire as to dietary requirements and I appreciated that I was given a gluten-free option.

Overall, our one night stay was very pleasant and I would highly recommend this B & B. However, there were a couple of disappointments. We never got to sample the homemade cookies as the cookie jar empty :( And, even though the time had been updated on the clock (it was daylight saving), the alarm had not been turned off and we were awakened earlier than anticipated.

Room Tip: Forget-Me-Not - tastefully appointed, beautiful views of the trees, bed slightly soft
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marina W
innchefs, Owner at The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I am so sorry about the alarm clock! We will make sure to remind the cleaning staff to double check the alarms. Next time you stay, we will put aside some cookies for you..they tend to disappear pretty quickly!
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I was in Eugene for 1 night only, for business. I arrived late, the evening staff person acquainted me with my room and got me signed up for breakfast.Complimentary local wines and beer...a local ale and a fresh chocolate chip oatmeal cookie were perfect! I was up late working and the free wireless worked flawlessly with good speed, and there was very little noise in the neighborhood., The furnishings were cozy and comfortable, not fragile antiques. The desk in the room was very useful. The bed was comfortable with pillows of different densities to choose from. The bathroom was immaculately clean and cheery. The next morning I was up bright and early and enjoyed hot,fresh coffee, fresh fruit, fresh-squeezed orange juice and apple-nutbread before I chose the poached eggs over crispy polenta with goat cheese and tomato corn relish (over the blueberry -banana pancakes) with chicken-apple sausage. What a breakfast!
Because I knew my business in Eugene would be done by noon but my flight didn't leave until 7, I arranged in advance to return to the Oval Door Inn and use their library to work and relax for a few hours . So much nicer than waiting around in the airport!

Room Tip: Look at the photos of the room online and see if one suits your fancy..they are all different.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mangonboat
Nyssa, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Your can't go wrong with this B.B. we stay there for two wonderful days. This is our second time staying here and have been treated like royalty each time. The breakfast was great and the staff were wonderful. The rooms are spacious, with your own private bathrooms. A/C . They condiments/pop etc. available whenever you want them. This B.B is in a location that is close to center of the activities. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richardadams52
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is one of those situations where location, location, location doesn't fit. I was in Eugene for the football game. The only other time I was in a Eugene was three years ago again for a game. That prior visit, I stayed at the C'est La Vie Inn which is a wonderful bed and breakfast but not as closely located to downtown and Autzen so I decided to try the Oval Door. There is no comparison between the two. C'est La Vie is an incredible property whereas the Oval Door is just another dwelling from the outside and a bit tired inside. I feel bad stating things as such since, as you know, staying at a B&B is a personal experience but I wouldn't stay at the Oval Door again. Nothing particularly wrong but nothing special. If I return, I'll try The Inn at the 5th or C'est La Vie again depending on my mood (hotel v B&B).

Room Tip: Avoid top floor if you have a lot of luggage because there obviously is no elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingBruin
innchefs, Owner at The Oval Door Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
We've been running this inn for 15 years, and sometimes it's hard to be objective. So, we want to say "thank you" for pointing out that our inn could use some refreshing. We have taken your opinion to heart and made some changes to the decor inside. The room you stayed in was meant to look antique..so that will not change, nor will our exemplary service and gourmet breakfast :) We wanted to you to know we appreciate your comments and value the opinion of every guest.