“Awful Food, Worse Service”

McMenamin's North Bank
Ranked #36 of 620 Restaurants in Eugene
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Eugene, Oregon
“Awful Food, Worse Service”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Our party came to have a farewell party for a work colleague who is moving to England. I called North Bank the night before asking to reserve an outside table for 10. I was informed that North Bank does not make reservations for outside tables. So instead, I sent 2 employees of my company to North Bank at 4pm on Friday 8/22 to try and save us a table. They were told that a birthday party had already reserved the only outside table/space large enough. This is for the outside tables that allegedly cannot be reserved.

So, we were given an inside table, and we were told that we were at the top of the list for an outside table. As soon as that birthday party was gone, we would be moved outside. This is for the outside tables that allegedly cannot be reserved. The restaurant was not busy at all.

We asked our inside waitress at least 4 times if there was any space for us outside yet. We were always told no. Finally I asked a different waitress, who acted shocked when I told her that we were "at the top of the list" to get a table once the birthday party was gone. She assured us that they would make a space for us outside, but that we would have to settle our bill with our inside waitress first. This seems like a poor business practice to me, but whatever. I settled the $450 bill. We then waited another 40 minutes for our table outside.

Once outside, our waitress cheerfully announced that her name was "Wind." I expressed humorous doubt that her real name was "Wind," but she assured us that she was, and shared a long story about her mother being a "California hippie" and went on to tell us that her last name was "Song." We placed our order, and she left.

When she returned with our order, one of our party (the guest of honor) asked her about the perfume "Windsong," and she (Wind) replied that "It smells like old lady butt." Thinking this was a continuation of her joke, I asked "How do you know what an old lady's butt smells like?"

Wind replied, "I had to clean my mother's butt as she lay dying." Then she walked off.

I can tell you that it put a serious damper on our party.

We had been eating and drinking for over 4 hours by this time. No one was drunk. We were wanting to spend another hour or two with our co-worker, reflecting on our years working together, and wishing her a fond farewell in her future travels. Wind's comments threw a wet blanket on that plan. Everyone felt very awkward. One member of our group actually cried.

When Wind finally returned, probably 20 minutes later, I attempted to order another round of drinks, along with some appetizers. I was informed quite rudely that our party was "cut off." No one was rowdy or loud. Everyone had designated rivers set up. When the guest of honor asked Wind if she meant that the entire party was "cut off," she hemmed and hawed and finally said that two of our party could continue drinking, because they had only just arrived. It was obvious to all that Wind had gotten her feelings hurt, but she was the one who raised the subject of her dead mother.

Their menu has also been changed, by which I mean increased prices and fewer choices. The burger I ordered was so tough I couldn't eat it. My waitress didn't care.

I will NEVER go back there.

Petaluma,CA
“In the river”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Gosh, you can't beat the riverside dining!!! So beautiful!
We always stop for dinner, noticed they changed the menu recently.
Our burgers were great.
Must mention though the lighting inside is awful if you are of a certain age and just started reluctantly using reading glasses BRING a flashlight too the dim yellow lighting is very dated and you can't read the menu at all!!!

Veneta, Oregon
“Missing the great fish and chips”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We've come here several times in the past. They always had a homerun with the fish and chips. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago, they did a menu update and removed this. Bummer. I had the Cuban pickle crisis sandwich as a rebound meal. It was fine. No complaints, but once was enough. I hope they decide to bring back the fish and chips, and the great selection of burgers they had.

Plattsburgh, New York
“Many hits, one miss”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stumbled upon this place as I was exploring Alton Baker park and was very pleased with my discovery. Beautiful location with outdoor dining looking out at the river/park. You couldn't want for a better setting. The beers I sampled were very good, the service was good and the menu had much to offer. Everything was perfect except for a misfire on my entre. I ordered a grilled tuna Niçoise salad and it had everything except the fingerling potatoes promised on the menu. One last mention, it seemed as though I waited much too long to be seated especially given there were many available seats. All things considered, I would defineately return.

• Visited July 2014
Oakland, California
“Great food with nice views of Willamette”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at La Quinta near the restaurant and ate dinner here. Some of the previous reviews made me concerned but I decided to try it anyway. We had a great time. The menu was more limited than what we had at other McMenamin's, but the food was nevertheless excellent. Beer was also great. Service was excellent as well; when a mixup lead to my being served apple cider instead of hard cider, they brought the hard cider and charged me nothing for the apple cider I had already sipped (it was really good). Great views of the river too.

• Visited August 2014

Been to McMenamin's North Bank? Share your experiences!