“Much better than the reviews”

The Davis Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #45 of 627 Restaurants in Eugene
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I were on a pleasant walk exploring downtown Eugene while on vacation and looking for a place for dinner. We happened upon Davis Restaurant. The menu looked interesting enough and we liked the looks of the crowd.
While waiting for our meals, I thought let's see what Trip Advisor had to say. The first few were not encouraging; however, I am pleased to say that our experience did not match the negative reviews.
We decided the place had more of a European vibe to the service. In essence, they felt we might be there for awhile and were not rushing us nor did they seem in a rush. It actually made the experience relaxing.
I must mention we came in around 7 and it was not yet that busy. There was a very large group,in a separate room, and as we were eating a groups of 10 arrived. Both groups were planned and there seemed to be enough staff to handle both groups.
As to the food, we were not disappointed. I had a 10oz. Hanger steak. It also come in a5 oz. option. It comes with chimichuri (spelling) sauce and roasted vegetables. There was another option, but I did not choose of remember it. The sauce was excellent. I like chimichuri with a bit of a kick and this delivered The roasted vegetables were well done and had 4 different types. The pearl onions were very sweet. I ordered medium rare, and it came a little redder than I had envisioned, yet it was such a good cut and tender it was quite good.
My wife had their hamburger, which appeared popular from looking at the other tables. She liked it very much and had the sweet potato fries which had bits of sea salt on them.
Overall it was a very good experience.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My Husband and I had a rare day out together and were looking forward to exploring Downtown Eugene, maybe finding a special place that we would like to visit again. This wasn't it. The service was NON EXISTENT.

What type of clientele is this place hoping to attract? Obviously it wasn't us. We are conservative, over 50, live rural (35 mins away from Eugene), dress clean and conservative, and are generous tippers when we receive good service. We are polite and say please and thank you.

The bartender (if you want to call her that) was dressed in an unprofessional grey outfit with no name tag, there also appeared to be a "manager" of some sort behind the bar, also another unmarked female "bartender" behind the bar.

It was NOT busy. We were 2 of a total of 6 people at the bar. When my husband ordered his drink she had to consult with the "manager" to find out if she could serve it to him. It was offending and embarrassing.

When I ordered my coffee drink, she stated that she didn't have any whipped cream, but she could make some "If I really wanted it". OF COURSE I WANTED WHIP CREAM, I asked for it didn't I? She made no move to do so, just blew it off.

It took her 15 minutes just to mix the two drinks. She didn't greet us in a friendly way, as a matter of fact, I never saw a friendly face in any of the service personnel. She never collected for our drinks or ask us if we wanted to run a tab or request a credit card to start a tab. She never asked us if we wanted a food menu, I had to go in search of one myself.

This proved to be a challenge as well. I asked the first girl that was at the restaurant station if I could see a menu and if we could be served or eat outside, and she stated that she was "just a volunteer" and couldn't help me. Another girl came rushing over when she saw me pulling menus out of the station, I figured that she surely must work her right? No such luck. Another blank "deer in the headlights" moment when I asked her the same question.

I gave up. I carried the menu back to my husband at the bar and we looked it over. Honestly I was getting upset by now and wasn't inclined to order any food, so I voted against staying. The menu didn't impress me. Not because of the prices, believe me - we are willing to pay fair price for good food and service.

It was late afternoon, the weather was beautiful, we figured we would have a cocktail, look at their food menu and have a leisurely enjoyable time. IT WAS ANYTHING BUT ENJOYABLE!

My husband was still sipping on his drink, so I went back to the bar to get another coffee drink ( this is a half hour later) and to pay for our first round and the additional on I was ordering, so we would be free to leave when we were finished.

Guess what? The "bartender" The one dressed sloppy all in grey, no name tag) took care of 3 other people that approached the bar AFTER me before she even made face contact with me. It took another 20 mins to get my second drink and pay our tab, and she didn't even have enough active cooperating brain cells to ring our items and hand me the change, just told me $20 would cover it and turned her back to me and moved on. SHE STILL HAD NO WHIP CREAM!!!!

I could go on and on about all the things that were a turn off about this place. WE WILL NOT VISIT THEM AGAIN AND WILL NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO OUR FRIENDS AND CLIENTELE.

3  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 15 November 2013

So they have good happy hr meal deals, but the drinks are a lil weak and the service is a lil slow. Not bad in a pinch but there are better places...

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Good food and good service at a fair price are the keys to this review. If you are looking for a spot that is more then the middle of the restuarnat road you will enjoy Davis'. Very causal with good service and an ok menu that is fair in pricing seems to be what they are aiming for and hit.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

We had tried to go to this restaurant a couple of weeks ago but it was taken over by a private party. We solved that recently on a rainy Saturday night in Eugene (what a surprise!). It is a rather eclectic place but we liked it. The wine selection was sparse but the food was excellent. They weren't terribly busy but the band was outstanding, Brazilian flare with accomplished musicians. We will be back.