“Great stay and service from the owner and his family”

Travelers Inn Eugene
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Portland, Oregon
“Great stay and service from the owner and his family”
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Great place to stay for Duck football games, the owner and his family treat you like one of the family

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 30 January 2010

There are no plugs in the bathroom and there was a sign asking women to not use the washcloths to clean off their make-up (!?). But, it's so affordable at $55 a night and a clean place to stay. The pillows and bed were good - perfect for passing through on a budget.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We should have known better..... when we were checking in the owner (Mr. Patel) had a half gallon of scotch that he was pouring into paper cups for the customers.I have heard of happy hour but this was at 12 noon. I can only think that he was trying to get everyone [--] so they wouldnt realize what a dive this is.It started with the reservation we were quoted 65 bucks a nite on a Thursday, then I get a call back that says they can not honor that price even though we had a conformation #. The conversation is not what I had hoped for when the owner says "I will just cancel your reservation thats it" Now he wants 95 bucks a nite and after a long conversation about proper customer service and a how to be a professional business owner we settle on 75 bucks.I realize this is a cut rate hotel on the cheap but you know I would say its worth about 35 bucks a nite. I took off the comforter on the bed off because it smelled like a unknown smell.If you are looking for a dump on the cheap this is it. The Best Western down the street on Franklin is a superior choice.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank duckparty
Seattle
Reviewed 3 August 2009

An older motel that's been kept up; very clean and extremely friendly and helpful staff!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The hotel a family run hotel. It is old, but maintained well by the family who runs it. There are only showers, and little counter space in the bathroom. There is a great counter (no plugs though) to do make up in the main room. The thing I was disappointed in was there were no plug ins near the bed, which I need for a CPAP machine. Also, breakfast is fruit, coffee and store bought muffins. It is located just out of downtown.

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank tb1travels
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I frequently visit Eugene and have stayed at four motels on the “strip” of arterial (Broadway and Franklin Blvd) close to the University of Oregon: Phoenix Inn, Broadway Inn, Best Western New Oregon Motel, and most recently Travelers Inn. Each of the first three properties either is newer or boasts more features than Travelers Inn. At least one (Phoenix Inn) has bigger rooms. But my best experience was at Travelers Inn.

Travelers Inn is an unpretentious, 1960s-style motel on the old U.S. Highway 99. It stands out from the others because the family who manage it live on the premises and are constantly cleaning the rooms, scrubbing the walkways, tending the flowers, greeting the guests with kindness. They take obvious pride in their motel.

I frequently saw the manager, Dilip Patel, in the parking lot and the other public areas. Several times during my week-long stay he approached to ask if the room was okay, did I need anything. He was not obsequious—he called me by my name, not “sir”—but he kept going out of his way to make my stay pleasant.

At first I thought Mr. Patel had singled me out for special treatment, but eventually I concluded that he treats all guests with the same consideration. One morning I watched as he stood in the parking lot and handed out something (bananas, I think) to an entire construction crew who were staying at the motel.

In mid-June, when I stayed there, hanging planters overflowed with blooms along the entire length of the balconies, adding color and a touch of nature to the parking lot. The Mr. Patel’s tall, gray-haired father cleaned rooms. The Mr. Patel’s teenage son worked on flower beds with his mother—outside the office, while cars zoomed past on Broadway. On Father’s Day this same boy scrubbed walkways with his father. The boy and his older sister speak to guests with quiet self-confidence.

When I arrived to check in, I asked what room I had been assigned, and Mr. Patel personally showed me three different rooms from which I might choose: a room on the south side that faced away from the main road, and two north-facing rooms. Although the south room was quieter, I chose a north-facing room (unit 216) because it had a private balcony on which I could conveniently and safely park my bicycle. Also, from that height I enjoyed watching people come and go in the parking lot, the people on the sidewalk passing between the UO and downtown, and the cars and trucks on Broadway, a busy six-lane arterial that feeds into downtown Eugene. I heard Amtrak in the distance as it approached the Eugene depot.

The motel stands between the UO and the Zenon Café, a few minutes’ walk in either direction. Literally next door, I consumed authentic Mexican food, available 24 hours a day at Burrito Boy, prepared and served by individuals whose native language is Spanish. At that restaurant I consumed a dish (lengua) which cannot be found in standard Tex-Mex restaurants.

The icing on the cake: When I checked out of Travelers Inn I forgot my passport and my credit card in the room. I telephoned the manager, he mailed my possessions to me by priority mail, and I found them waiting for me when I got home.

My room was small. The glass door to my clean, lovely, well-lighted, tiled shower had slight corrosion at the bottom of its aluminum frame. But that shower did not spill or splash on the bathroom floor, and I enjoyed it much more than the fancy modern tub-shower at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, where the curtain failed to keep water off the floor. The upper surface of the shelf in the bathroom was starting to detach from its plywood base, but the manager told me he will soon replace the wooden shelf with artificial marble.

Two nights in a row, between about 2 A.M. and 3:30 A.M., the wireless internet connection went down. But I’ve had the same problem in hotels that cost twice as much. And the rest of the time, the internet worked fine. In some other, fancier hotels (such as Salt Lake Plaza Hotel) I was unable to connect to the servers at the university where I work; but from Travelers Inn I connected with no difficulty.

Travelers Inn offered two additional advantages which cannot be taken for granted: My windows opened, and I could go out on my balcony. Many hotels (Jupiter, in Portland; Salt Lake Plaza Hotel and City Creek Inn, in Salt Lake City; many others) force the guest to breathe “canned air” from a noisy AC unit in the room. By contrast, at Travelers Inn, although I could have used the AC, I had the option of opening my window (which had a clean, intact bug screen) and breathing fresh spring air instead. At Salt Lake Plaza Hotel the door to my balcony was bolted shut; at Travelers Inn I frequently stepped onto my balcony and watched the action below.

Travelers Inn reminds me of the family-run motels where I used to stay with my parents as a boy. The property is old but it is clean. The management are friendly and they perform their job as though they mean it. I felt safe; I was in good hands. The next time I come to Eugene, I will stay at Travelers Inn.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank OakParkSacramento
Ashland, OR
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We too tired to drive all the way home between Florence and Ashland and stopped in Eugene looking for an inexpensive place to sleep. This place looked nicer on the outside than the other inexpensive lodgings in the area. It was freshly painted and had hanging flower baskets everywhere. It a family run motel and one of the daughters checked us in. She spent quite a while visiting with us. We had a lively discussion and she was lovely and interesting. We were pleasantly surprised that such an inexpensive motel had such clean and well maintained rooms and furnishings. In all my years of travel, I never have I seen a cleaner or more sparkling bathroom. In the morning we enjoyed meeting the mom and dad and their young son. It was the family who made our short stay special. It seems that they all work in the business and their pride of ownership shows.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple