“A bed and a shower in a convenient location”

Eugene University Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
Las Vegas, NV
“A bed and a shower in a convenient location”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Let me start by saying the staff is so friendly and helpful! They are really the best part of this motel. And the location is excellent! We were in Eugene to attend 2 basketball games at Matt Knight and this motel is literally directly across the street. The rooms are clean but need updating; the shower leaked into the sink area; and the bathtub faucet dripped unless you fiddled with it to make it stop. There was water damage everywhere - which I guess is to be expected in Oregon. And the heater in the room cycled on and off all night which kept me awake. The continental breakfast was fine. For the price, I really can't complain, but don't expect anything more than a shower and a bed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MRoan
eugeneuniversityinn, Manager at Eugene University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for finding a moment to review our property. Your comments regarding our wonderful staff has put a smile on everyone's face and your reference to our location will certainly help the next person seeking similar convenience.

Your description of our rooms and the need to update them has been noted and relayed to the appropriate department. There are as of yet unscheduled plans to update our little hotel and the rooms within. Hopefully this will have begun or been completed prior to your next visit.

DPR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a few times, we had always had a great experience. The hotel is older but the customer service was always great. Until this trip. We woke up to no hot water. I approached the front counter gal about it. She started to complain about being paid minimum wage and that she was not able to do anything. I asked for a manager she said there was not one coming. She said a maintaince man had been called and he would be there in a few hours. I went back to my room. I heard a man explaining to another guest what the issue was. I stepped out of my room to ask him. He spoke to me in a condescending tone while explaining to me that there is hot water it's just that other guests had used it. I was trying to understand how a hotel would run out of hot water? He continued to get heated and so I walked away back into my room. We had plans so I just got dressed without showering- there was a knock at the door. I opened it to this same guy. He said that he couldn't do anything and he didn't care that I was unable to take a shower, he continued to tell me that I was not allowed to complain again tomorrow- that it would most likely happen again, he was in my face aggressive and yelling. He said he would not give me a room rate discount for the current day, but that I could leave- and he would refund me my second night. He knew dang well that this is Eugene on a game day, every hotel was booked I didn't have anywhere to go, I was stuck! I believe his name was Emanuel and he is the manager. It's unfortunate that he didn't care about his costumers because we will never stay here again, and we hope others choose a hotel where the guest comes first!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
EugeneComfortSuites, Director of Sales at Eugene University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to leave your review. It is unfortunate that your stay was as unsatisfactory as you describe. The situation with the hot water at a hotel is the same situation you would find anywhere be it in your home or as you have witnessed at a hotel. Even multiple hot water heaters will eventually run out of hot water from use and will need to refill. It sounds like this was the dilemma.

You stated that you have stayed at this property in the past and that your experience was always great! Our staff and management pride ourselves on providing exemplary guest service. Please be assured that this review will be addressed and the parties involved will have their chance to explain as well.

DPR

Travellers are raving about these Eugene hotels

Signal Hill, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The place was clean and was everything a 2-3 star motel would be like. There was a microwave and fridge, and free breakfast in the morning. The location was right in front of the University of Oregon and was walking distance to a few chain restaurants and a few bars. Overall this place was well worth the money.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
eugeneuniversityinn, Public Relations Manager at Eugene University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
We, here at University Inn and Suites, appreciate you take time to stop by trip advisor to write us a review. We are so glad to hear your stay with us was a wonderful experience. We are always looking to better ways in assisting our guests. We hope to see you again in the future and if you could, please tell others about us. Thank you for your business.
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel next door also, and it was twice as much and basically the same. Even smaller. Location was awesome. Walking distance to the fun shops & restaurants near university. The grill next door was delicious! Great hotel for the price. Updated, roomy rooms for $50-$60!! Can't beat that. The staff were really friendly too.

• Stayed October 2013
We, here at University Inn and Suites, would like to thank you for filling out this review on here. We are so glad you had a great time here and really enjoyed your stay. We thrive on maintaining achievements of excellence at our hotel. We hope to see you again.
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed at the University Inn before, so when I needed to spend a couple of days in Eugene, I booked a room for two nights. I should have gone somewhere else.

First off, the wifi was hopelessly unstable. In total, I had about 30 minutes of internet connection, even after I tried to connect by ethernet cable. The front desk promised they would get a technician to look at it the following morning, but the technician never came, and the wifi was not fixed while I was there.

As it happened, I needed to pull up a map of the area, as well as information about public transportation. The front desk offered to help, but even after repeated requests did not provide me with a map of the area I was going to visit. Even worse, they offered me bus directions which had me change at Springfield Station to a bus that doesn't actually stop at Springfield Station.

Further, the receptionist told me that the place I was going to was about 5 miles away by foot (in fact I could have taken a footbridge across the river, so the distance is more like 2 miles, i.e., well within walking distance), and that going by bus would take 20 minutes (in fact, it took closer to 2 hours).

After spending a between 60 and 90 minutes waiting for non-existant busses in the rain due to the incompetence of the hotel staff, I still wonder why I bothered to stay for another night when there are plenty of similar motels in the same area.

I cannot recommend the University Inn & Suites at all. There are plenty of alternatives on the same street, and although I have never stayed in any of them, I cannot imagine you would get worse service there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jjcnn2013
We, at University Inn and Suites, apologize for the experience you had here at our facilities. We do take pride in our service given. We have taken note of this review and will express your concerns with our staff and facilities. We will further investigate on how to find ways this won't happen again. We would like to offer you a 25% discount if you decide to stay with us again. We hope you don't write us off but that we can prove to you we have one of the best hotel staff in the state of Oregon.
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The University Inn and Suites is a clean, comfortable extremely well located motel right across the street from the University of Oregon. From our window we could see the Matthew Knight center where the Ducks play basketball. We were right next door to Track Town Pizza and we were able to walk out our door, run a mile or so and get to where we could run on the Prefontaine Trail that is accross the river. Our room had been remodeled fairly recently and was a standard mid-priced room, two comfortable queen beds, a TV and a desk. I'm sure prices are higher on games days and maybe even when school is in session but as I recall it was about $85 a night. I didn't have breakfast since I decided to go run, but my kids said it was very good. It is a very good motel but what really gives it a boost is the location near Oregon's campus. That was where we wanted to be so it worked out great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
eugeneuniversityinn, Front Office Manager at Eugene University Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
We here at University Inn and Suites would like to thank you for submitting your review here on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to find out that you and your family enjoyed staying with us. We take pride in our facilities and staff that we are always looking to improve. Please come join us again. Share with your friends and family about us.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This nice little motel, across the street from the Univ of OR, was very comfortable. I had only planned to stay 2 days. That stretched into 5. The staff was extremely helpful; I was moving to Eugene and had a million questions. One staff member (Rene) even helped rode the buses with me as I tried to come to understand Eugene's transit system. Is that above and beyond the call of duty or what? The only reason I couldn't give it a 5 rating is because it's not the Hilton. It's just a comfortable/safe friendly little independent motel. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal I would say.