“So Nice to Come “Home” To”
Review of Valley River Inn

Valley River Inn
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Eugene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Torrance, California
“So Nice to Come “Home” To”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

When you’re on vacation, it is always nice to have a home away from home. That was what the Valley River Inn was for my family during a recent trip to Oregon for a family reunion and a white-water rafting excursion. On our first night, after a long and wearing drive from PDX, we were greeted warmly at the front desk and were quickly checked in. We were happy to find our river-facing room to be spacious and clean. We were short one towel set which, after a call to the front desk, was quickly despatched and more towels were brought to our room by a friendly attendant in a matter of minutes. Breakfast/brunch at SweetWaters, seated by the window looking at the river view, was a great way to get ready for the day. With twelve people at the table, we were able to get a sampling of just about everything on the menu, and everything we ordered was delicious. The wait staff was friendly, patient, and helpful. We had a busy itinerary so we weren’t at the hotel for most of the day, but Valley River Inn with its comfortable rooms and friendly and helpful staff was a great place in which to end and start our day.

Room Tip: Get a river view room!
1 Thank Gina M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Oregon
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was looking forward to giving the Valley River Inn another try after a disappointing visit 2 years ago. I was excited to hear about the long-overdue and much needed renovation.

I recently booked online direct through the hotel's website. I booked the "2012 Summer Sale- 10% off One Night, 20% off Two Nights, 30% off Three Nights" rate. Our plans changed and I just called the hotel (over) a week in advance to cancel our reservation. I was shocked to learn the rate was a "NON CANCELLABLE RESERVATION". I did not have to pre-pay, so I did not catch this critical detail. I assumed, like most hotels, this reservation could be cancelled.

I just spent some time on the phone with reservations and a manager. They apologized and offered to modify the reservation for another date (within a month), but were not able to cancel the reservation.

This is the first time I ever encountered this type of rate/policy. I was really caught off guard -- a valuable and expensive lesson learned!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PortlandWelt
ValleyRiverInn, Manager at Valley River Inn, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your reservation at Valley River Inn. We appreciate your willingness to give us a second chance after a disappointing stay two years ago.

I remember speaking with you a couple of weeks ago and apologize that we were not able to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction. From time to time we do offer nonrefundable or non-cancellable rates in order to help our guests save money by guaranteeing their reservations. As with any other rate, we try to inform our guests of these policies by listing the rate as nonrefundable on our website and mentioning that the reservation is non-cancellable to our call-in guests.

I was glad to see that you were able to stay with us after all on your original arrival date. Hopefully you were pleased with the vast improvements that were made during the renovation and enjoyed the great service that Valley River Inn is known for. Please reach out to me directly if you have any suggestions or feedback regarding your stay at mmedsker@valleyriverinn.com.

Warm Regards,

Mike Medsker
Director of Revenue Management
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 15 August 2012

There have been several new owners of the Valley River Inn. All gave lip service to modernizing the Inn. The current owner is doing just that. The rooms are furnished in modern style and very comfortable with river views. The employees are friendly and professional. And the menu for food service has been revised for modern tastes and is fine. No complaints. E Rocca

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side for a lovely view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Our stay was relaxing and we felt taken care of...the concierge room was fabulous and the bar tender actually remembered what we wanted from our previous stay!! Thanks valley river we will see you again in September.

Room Tip: Ask for riverside rooms or suites!
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We have been traveling to Eugene for many years and have stayed in a couple of different hotels. By far we enjoyed our visit to the Valley River Inn. In fact we booked out annual trip back to Eugene and will be staying again at the Valley River Inn. I would recommend a room that is facing the river. It is very relaxing and peaceful. The pool was enjoyed by the entire family as was the exercise facility.

Room Tip: Facing the river
Veneta, Oregon
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Valley River Inn is located in a city just 15 miles from my home. I have recommended it many times to family, friends and business associates. I did not truly realize what a treasure I have in my own backyard. Recent events in our household has made time for quiet reflection, personal connection, or just plain sleeping and relaxing difficult. This coupled with our own busy work lives made travel to a nearby resort difficult to impossible. So my partner said... how about staying at the Valley River Inn? I was intrigued- the reservation was made... a room by the river was secured.... and we made plans for our getaway. We arrived, were greeted by wonderful people, entered our private sanctuary, opened a bottle of wine, put our feet up and after about an hour of staring at the river- felt like ourselves. IF you are coming from out of town... this is a great place. If you live in the Eugene area, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE to come and relax and return to your own center. We had a great time; we will do it again.

Room Tip: A room on the riverside has a small patio where you can watch small crafts float by, osprey play and...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Twinkle M
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I was in town for a conference. We brought our dog with us for an overnight stay. Valley River Inn is perfect for pets. After dinner we took a walk along the river path which was easy to access. The hotel has been renovated and looks fresh. The room was large and the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up in the morning. I loved the all white linen! Breakfast in Sweetwaters the next morning was delicious. We sat with a view of the Willamette River and I had amazing Eggs Benedict. I like the new look of the hotel and always come back for the friendly staff and location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Brittany W
ValleyRiverInn, Front Office Manager at Valley River Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Valley River Inn. I am so happy to see you enjoyed yourself wihile visiting Eugene. We pride ourselves on our location and guest service. As you mentioned, we are a very pet friendly hotel and love having our furry friends with us.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have you as our guest again should your travels bring you back to the Eugene area.