“Great food. They got a new chef.”

Maple Street Grille
Ranked #5 of 95 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The new menu at Maple Street Grills offers a variety of American & Romanian traditional recipes. A cozy place located in Historic Old Town where you will enjoy the ambiance, hospitality and the food. We offer home-made Old World recipes like the Romanian Meatballs, Crab Cakes ala Europe, Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves), Pork Schnitzel, Mici (Grilled Romanian Skinless Sausages) and many others.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I went here with friends for birthday celebration. My first visit. The owner was friendly, as well as the chef. We all enjoyed our meal. It was very fresh and healthy. Tasted great. The place is very small and the bar area can be loud, but the food is worth it. Wait staff was very good and attentive to our needs. I will go to this place again. I'm from out of town. I will be back. Everyone passing through Florence, Oregon has to try it.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

As other reviewers will agree, Kurt is a friendly, welcoming host at this cozy little place just off the Old Town Florence main drag. And the first time I visited, the food was just as cozy and welcoming. Now, several weeks later, the situation is very different. While Kurt is still amiable and good spirited, the food doesn't match in the least. (The 3 stars are only a reflection of my respect for Kurt.)

I ordered one of the lunch specials, the salmon burger. What I received was either very, very off-tasting salmon or what tasted to me like canned crab, or perhaps Krab, loosely assembled into a mayonnaise-laden cake. When I asked about the "burger's" provenance, Kurt agreed that it looked like crab to him. However, the cook was adament (and I was sitting right next to the tiny kitchen area, so she was adament directly to me) that the fish cake was a salmon "burger" although it seemed to her to be "very strong." OK, then, why serve it?

Anyway, Kurt graciously offered to buy me dessert -- a wonderful-sounding apple crisp with ice cream. I was happy with that until the same adament cook informed him -- and me -- that she couldn't find any more apple crisp, but there is pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie? Really? It's April! So, no thanks. Kurt did manage to rustle up some coffee via a French press that took him at least 20 minutes to figure out and come up with a single cup. It wasn't very strong or very good, but then Kurt admitted he doesn't drink coffee, so what are you going to do?

So, unfortunately, that was my experience, and as I heard from merchants up and down main street, I'm not alone in my reaction. I know there are stalwarts who keep coming, and I hope that the locals and nearbys who are staying away (myself included) will be lured back by a more consistent, professional kitchen crew and food.

1  Thank Sig79
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I go here a lot; they have specials during the week for lunch & dinner. We especially like 1/2 off bottles of wine on Wednesdays. The soups are always exceptional. Vicki, the chef, is very accommodating; we have loved everything she makes.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Maple Street Grille is a cozy spot with nice outdoor seating. We often go after work to sit and have a drink (the owner Kurt makes a GREAT Mai Tai!) and relax. Kurt is very friendly and quick to make you feel at home. The only problem with giving it a great review is we might have to share more.... but it is a nice place with friendly staff.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Maple Street Grille had become one of our most favorite places to get away from the day and just relax with a good drink and amazing food! I hate to share it with the world but the truth is the truth so here it is people. Maple Street Grille is great. Kurt ( the owner ) couldn't be nicer of more attentive to his customers. We'll be back!!