“Great Place to Stay”
Review of River House Inn

River House Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 25 August 2006

We stayed in a River view room on the second floor. The view was terrific and the room was very nice. Comapred to the prices of most other hotels the price is very good. The location is the best in town, right on the river and and easy walk to the Old Town shops and restaurants. The only noise I heard was if you have your balcony door open you can hear cars crossing the bridge, but it wasn't that loud and it didn't bother me at all with the door closed. I didn't hear hardly any noise from the other rooms as others have mentioned. I thought the walls were quite good compared to most of the places we've stayed. The room was clean and well decorated. We will be staying here again when we go back to Florence!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Voidman

Reviewed 9 August 2006

It's 08/09/06 and we have just returned from three days along the Southern Oregon coast. The first night was at the River House Motel and it was the worse place I have ever stayed, I do not understand how other reviewers could be so positive about such a dump. We had a confirmed reservation for the second floor and were there for check-in at 2:00, the first car in the parking lot.
The woman at the front desk would not honor the second floor room reservation, she was rude and had a take it or leave it attitude since they had already billed our credit card. We had no choice but to be on the first floor and had to listen to stomping by a bunch of motorcyclist upstairs all night and again in the early morning. The place is cheaply built so noise, talking, TV from rooms above and on each side spills through the ceiling and walls. The furniture is old and beat up and looks like they got out of a thift store. We were not sure if the sheets were fresh, they looked pretty rumpled for a bed that was suppose to be freshly made.
It is the kind of cheap motel where you feel like people's old DNA ( if you get my drift) is all over the bed covers, I would fear what you would see with a black light in their rooms.
There was a notice in the office that the heated spa room they have was closed due to leaking, but the sign appeared to be old so they haven't fixed it and are still advertizing it to people.
The in-room coffee maker where you pour in the water was so filthy we did not use it, it was disgusting. If you look on the web and see a big restraurant next door to this place in the picture, do not be fooled the restraurant is out of business and has been for some time. This cost $118 a night and isn't worth $49, it is a hole, Super 8 or Motel 6 make this place look really bad. I seriously suggest driving a little further down the coast and stay at the Mill Casino even if you don't gamble it's worth it. We stayed there the second night and it was only $2 more that the River House Motel after signing up for the Millionaires Club Card which you don't even have to use, but they take 10% off the room bill. We stayed on the third floor (Conciege Floor, they give the perks on this floor) facing Coos Bay on the water and the room was great, they presented us with a bottle of chilled Champaigne, mints and have a nightly bed turn down service if you wish and free valet parking. The rooms are very nice and the place is quiet, so you can get the sleep you are paying for.
So why stay in a dump like the River House Motel when there are places that care about your business and show it.
Please don't waste your hard earned money staying at the River House Motel, you will be disappointed and your vacation enjoyment will suffer.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
8  Thank FeelingRippedOff
Reviewed 9 August 2006

We had planned our trip up to Oregon from California several months in advance. I had been looking for a place to stay central on the coast, yet affordable. We are frequent travelers to the Monterey coast and Big sur coast and thought we were picky. I was hoping for a clean room and some sort of view and picked this place based on reviews here, since it didn't sound "so bad".

Well, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The room had a great view... especially at night, when the almost-full moon cast upon the river. Was picture-worthy, but couldn't get exposure right at night. The room itself was clean, tastefully decorated (the virtual tour on the website does not do it justice). There is an attention to detail, even though this is a "motel". I noticed such things as; chome fixtures, chandelier, comfy, oversized chair, hammered metal mirror, framed b/w pix of lighthouses, and quality "sample" bath products. I loved the soap! I never normally use the soap at any hotels, but I did this time. The lotion was from Bath & Body works, lovely too!

We usually complain about the bed. We are picky. I did, however, become completely familiar with the bed. Unfortunately, the first 36hrs of our stay, I was sick with fever in bed. The bed was actually comfy, fortunately!!! I haven't slept in a more comfortable bed in ages, even with frequent travel to Monterey and Napa.

The view was wonderful. Gorgeous. Private balconies allow for gazing upon the river and dunes. The wind break out on the balcony was amazing. you would think there was no wind, but when we arrived, it was pretty strong out in front.

Some have complained of noise. We had no problem with this, and remember, I was in the room for the first 36hrs!!! You can hear mildly the cars going over the bridge to the east of the property. But with windows closed, it is almost a nonexistant noise. The motel does offer 'noise' machines with sounds of ocean, woods, etc, for those who may be extra sensitive. I recommend requesting a second floor room as far west of the bridge as possible. We were 3 rooms west of the bridge, and had no problems.

Old town florence is just a few steps away... quaint and cute.....restaurants, shops, harbor, etc. You really don't need to worry about parking... the walk is very short and easy. I didn't understand a prior review which cited parking as a problem, since the motel has its own lot. You really can walk to Old town.. the equivalent of a few blocks.

Us two picky ones really like this place. If you are wanting a 4-star full service spa, well, go somewhere else. But I would rate this as a higher class motel. I am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2006

We stayed at the River House after reading reviews from others on the site. We really enjoyed our stay there! The room was clean and comfortable, and sitting on the balcony while the sun set, the birds flew, and the boats sailed by was really a treat.

The hotel is very close to Old Town and a nice little place called the Suislaw River Coffee Roasters where our breakfast included marvelous (really, marvelous!) muffins and great coffee on the deck over-looking the river.

The only draw-back to a Florida air-conditioning junkie was that the room had none. There was heat, of course, if one needed it. But otherwise, we cooled our room by opening both the front and balcony doors, and obviously, one can't do that all night long. Fortunately, the weather was fairly cool anyway, and we made out alright.

We rested well in the quiet room, and had our coffee on the balcony as the boats went out the fish. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed 19 June 2006

We stayed here for a week-end in June. The location is very good, as it is within walking distance of "Old Town". We could walk to breakfast and dinner, plus many shops. We had a river view room, and the river was fun to watch as it was always changing. The lady who checked us in was very nice and gave us tips on where to dine, etc. Unassuming place, but everything was very clean. The only downfall was there was a lot of noise coming from the rooms around us.

• Stayed: June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 27 May 2005

When you plan your visit to the wonderful town of Florence Oregon, The River House is the best place to stay. Your within the Old Town area, so you can walk to all the shops and resturants nearby!

If you like BBQ, try Hickory's, not in Old Town, but close by!

The rooms were nice, small, but clean and quiet. The river views are great to see at night and to wake up in the morning, even if it rains!

The hotel has nothing to speak of other than nice, clean quiet rooms, but with so much nearby.

Needless to say, this is the best value and views in Florence!

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2004

My husband and I stayed there June 20 - 22, 2003. We had a regular room that actually had a nice view of the river and bridge (without paying the extra for a river view room). The weather was warm and the rooms have no air conditioning so we had to leave the window open. We ended up with noise from the parking lot and drunk people coming and going until the early morning hours. There was also a problem with parking since so many people bring ATV's on trailers for riding at the Dunes.
After 8 or 9 pm, the trucks and trailers took up most of the parking.
We were glad we parked our car and walked to the restaurant each night.

10  Thank msdj