“Very enjoyable experience”

Ranked #14 of 95 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open for Lunch 11:30 to 2:00 Tuesday though Friday for Lunch Open for Dinner at 5pm Tuesday though Saturday We are closed Sunday and Monday
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This restaurant is in what looks to be an old house, and has been nicely redone inside. The tables are a little close together, but if everybody is reasonably quiet, it's fine.

When we arrived, there was one table that was noisy. The owner seated us near them, but then graciously moved us into the little bar area when we quietly asked to be moved.

Once there, we had a delightful dining experience :-)

The owner is a one-woman show! We found her to be pleasant and very efficient, but when they are busy (as they were on this Saturday night) , she simply does not have time to stand around chatting with customers very much. Service is not super quick, but then if you imagine you are in Italy, you won't expect that anyway.

Our salads were pretty large and very fresh. We both opted for the Caesar salads and they were delicious.

I ordered the stuffed pork chop. I felt comfortable that it would not be cooked to death - and it was not. It was done just right and was stuffed with gorgonzola cheese, apples and walnuts. Yum! The accompanying veggies were also very good. The risotto was out of this world.... really really good. It was just a touch on the spicy side but oh it was good!

My husband's entree was also excellent - I barely managed to snag a bite :-)

I had Creme Brulee for dessert which was good. I wouldn't call it outstanding, but then perhaps I am not enough of a Creme Brulee connoisseur, LOL!

Prices were not bad at all. Most of the dinners ran from about $16 to $22, and included soup or salad, veggies and starch.

All in all, the food was just delicious and the whole experience very enjoyable. We'll be back!

1  Thank half-Brit

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I love this place; the owner, Linda, is always concerned that the food she puts out is good. Soups, salads, specials, etc are top notch. Italian food with great wines (& beer, & full bar). We would heartily recommend this beautiful restaurant to all; even the music is fun. Open for lunch & dinner on selected days of the week.

1  Thank Terry H
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We are house hunting in Florence and there are many good restaurants here. This one falls into the EXCELLENT category! A quaint and clean place, with Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Bobby Darin quietly playing in the background. The host/owner is very attentive and efficient. We had a nice conversation too. (Reservations recommended in the busy season.)

Now for the important part, the food! Great selection, quality and fresh ingredients! All seasoned to perfection. From the bruschetta, to the salads, to the salmon, to the ravioli, etc etc...all heavenly. We ate here a couple times and it was delish! Consistent quality with each course.

My hubby is from an Italian family (his father from the Abruzzi region), and he is an excellent cook. He LOVED the food too! Thank you La Pomodori! We will be back to try dessert soon!

5  Thank MistyFog1
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Delicious, Delicious, Delicious, how many times shall I say it. The owner, Linda, is a wonderful lady of charm and grace, but more of that later.

My wife and I ate there last night. They offer a sirloin steak with Gorgonzola sauce, and they very willingly cooked up a ribeye steak with that sauce. The soup was great, the Caesar salad was one of the best ever. The steak came with vegetables and risotto that were so tasty that I ate all of those delectables before I even tasted the steak. I very seldom find a steak up to standards in a restaurant. This was an exception, that is, it was exceptional. Perhaps not as thick as I purchase, but wonderful flavor and very tender. Frankly the sauce was so great that shoe leather might have passed muster!

Now this ain’t Applebee’s with a staff of dozens. Linda handles all of the chores “on the floor”, from bar tender to orders to food delivery to your check. And she still manages to smile and respond to a gesture. Service was a bit slow at first, seemed she was distracted by something ... perhaps an episode in the kitchen. But once started, service was prompt and friendly in spite of several other tables that at the same time.

My only disappointment was the Tiramisu that I brought home. It was not what I expected. A little research on the internet (what did we do yesterday?) revealed that her version is one of about six, all of which are different although every one of them claim to be the most authentic. At least that is what I assume the Italian chefs were saying! The research revealed that none of the “authentic” recipes resemble the desert that I am used to from American bakeries ... no, not in the slightest. So obviously, the error is mine, but I still prefer the American stuff. I may be a steak connoisseur but as far as Tiramisu is concerned, I guess I am a philistine.

So be it. One of the best dinners I have ever had. Certainly the best that I can remember. Of course there are those around me (no play on words, Dear) that say my memory no longer has sharp edges.

1  Thank MountainBearOregon
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great soups and salads, sandwiches and wraps and more than adequate wine list. Comfortable seating, friendly owner and staff.