“Clean, Country Style B&B”
Review of Blue Heron Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Florence
Blue Heron Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The Blue Heron is a homey little B&B. It is decorated country style- like my grandma might decorate. Though it is not a decorating style I would choose (when decorating my own place), I found it to be clean and cozy. The host and hostess, Maurice and Stella, are welcoming and very sweet. The provided us with excellent restaurant recommendations and helped us secure a reservation at one of their favorites. We loved the restaurant choice and were very grateful. Breakfast was tasty. On the day I stayed we had waffles with fresh fruit, sausage, and banana bread plus coffee, tea, and orange juice.

Other posters comment on the rules, and I did notice that the owners have particular ways of doing things that they expected guests to follow. This didn't bother me because I found Maurice and Stella to be incredibly gracious and sweet, but I could see how this might not work for others.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 April 2010

The Blue Heron is a nice get away next to a beautiful river and just outside historic Florence.
We enjoyed a friendly atmosphere, and wonderful breakfast each day.
The room was spacious and comfortable.
My only complaint is the lack of privacy and window coverings; and a sense of our every move being monitored and our every misstep corrected.
Our hosts were friendly, but quite political. We went on vacation to escape the cares of the world, and didn't feel like discussing politics (especially those differing from our own) while trying to relax. We very much felt like guests in someone's spare bedroom.
Overall, this was a pleasant experience and I would consider a return visit, but not my favorite B&B experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelerman555
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My sister and I went through Florence as we vacationed on the Oregon Coast. Staying at the Blue Heron Inn was one of the highlights.
First, the setting is incredible. We pulled into the parking lot and I spent a few minutes just taking pictures of the nearby trees and incredible waterfront view. It was really stunning; the view from the porch could be a post card.
Maurice and Stella greeted us, showed us around, and recommended several restaurants; they even got a table reserved for us at the restaurant of our choice.
Our stay in the Victorian Room was quiet and comfortable.
Breakfast was a real gourmet treat. My sister and I really watch what we eat, so our hosts made a special light omelet with peppers just for us. The fruit, yogurt, toast, and juice were delicious as well.
If I stay in Florence again, the Blue Heron Inn will be on my list.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed 22 March 2010

OMG!! What a disaster! These people are crazy! They converted a part of their house to a few ugly rooms. We were fortunate enough to get the lovely pepto bismol room with written instructions for everything! And we were told we could have coookies in the kitchen anytime. Well, we got back late and hesitantly got a nasty old pinwheel cookie and threw it away! We unfortunately slept in and greeted the morning to a loud voice banging on the door stating "BREAKFAST IS READY" a few moments later we got another bang on the door screaming "BREAKFAST IS ON THE TABLE" Worst B&B we have EVER stayed at!!! PLEASE bypass this one if you want a pleasant stay in Florence!! The owners need to give up the B&B business!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nancy_amelia
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We discovered the Blue Heron several years ago, and have made it a regular get away about every other year. We enjoy the lovely, comfortable accomodations and relaxing atmosphere, as well as hosts Maurice and Stella, who have always made us feel most welcome.

True it is not right on the ocean, but just enough inland to shelter from the ocean winds that can be pretty brisk at certain times of year, and a short drive from several of our favorite coastal stops and Old Town Florence. We enjoy watching the herons, seals, and other wildlife along the Suislaw River whenever we stay. Over the years we have tried out all of the rooms available at Blue Heron, and have found each one comfortable, clean, and charming.

I am surprised at some of the feedback about rules...everything seems very organized and runs pretty smoothly, even on those occasions where there has been a full house.

Breakfasts are always a delight to the eye and to the palate!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoreTime2TravelBoise
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My wife and I got into Florence on the 4th of July. We hadn't made any reservations anywhere and found most places full. We stopped at a B & B in Old Town, which was full, but the owner called Blue Heron, and found there was an opening, about 3 miles from Old Town. We don't usually stay at B & B's, preferring hotels, but we have stayed at them before, and know how it feels to be welcomed and cared for as a guest.

We drove over there, were warmly greeted by Maurice and Stella, shown to a large, clean room with a king-sized bed and a private bath with at tub/shower. It was late, we were hungry, and we wanted to see the fireworks off the barge at Old Town later that night, so we paid for our room, at which point Stella asked us if we were hungry, and both of them not only told us which restaurant in Old Town was excellent, but called and got us a reservation immediately. There had been a cancelation, and they convinced the manager to hold the table for us.

We ate there, found it to be excellent, and the price was more than reasonable. We saw the fireworks, had a wonderful night, went back to the Blue Heron quite late and were graciously introduced to another couple staying there.

We went up to our room (the Victorian) which was wonderfully quiet and peaceful, despite being on a busy Hwy. There were at least 4 other couples staying there, but you wouldn't have known there were more than the two of us. We slept well, woke up refreshed and went down for coffee.

This is where things became strange. We were told we could not enter the area of the kitchen where the sink was, but the refrigerator had a special cabinet for various types of Coffeemate Creamers. However, there was no half and half, and no cream (except for non-fat cream--yuk!). We were given mugs with coffee and told to go sit in the living room and read the paper. It felt rigid. We couldn't just stand and converse with them while they prepared breakfast, which HAD to begin at 9am sharp. I didn't feel like sitting, and I didn't want to read the paper, so I was talking with my wife and happened to set my coffee mug down on the breakfast table. Maurice grabbed my cup and said "Don't be putting your mugs on my teak tables!" We began feeling like bulls in a China shop. There were rules, and we'd better follow them or we got scolded.

The other guests came in. We were not allowed to sit at the breakfast table until they rang a bell, which they did. We all went to the table for Strawberry/Blueberry/Whipped Creamed Belgian Waffles. There were also link sausages and orange juice. That was it. No eggs offered, no oatmeal or cereal. Maurice then told us very quickly what was on the table and how we should eat it or drink it, then went over to this one man and commanded him to introduce himself. Then he commanded us to all go around and introduce our selves. The we could eat. By the time the introductions were over, the waffle was cold. There was no offer of extra food, drink, or otherwise. Maurice and Stella were hurriedly cleaning up the kitchen while we ate, and seemed impatient for us to finish, stop talking and "get out!" I've never seen 5 couples rush out of a bed and breakfast so quickly, including us. Check-out was at 11am, but none of us wanted to stay around, so out we ran. The last thing I remember hearing Maurice say to one of the guests was, "Gotta get this kitchen cleaned up...long day ahead..."

I felt like that Norwegian Cruise Lines commercial that shows everyone marching together, looking at their watches together, and being herded around like cattle.

We would have stayed an extra night, but we had a meeting the following morning an hour away in Coos Bay at 10am, and we were told we wouldn't get breakfast because "we serve breakfast promptly at 9am!" I've never been treated like that by a B & B. Most go out of their ways to accommodate those kinds of needs.

We are not terribly discerning where it comes to the stylistic attributes of a B& B. We just want it to be clean, comfortable and relaxed. The Blue Heron is clean.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank caseyjmc
Reviewed 1 February 2008

I was surprised to see that this place had such negative reviews. My husband and I have always been trying to get back there since we had such a wonderful experience...but haven't found the time yet.

We chose to stay here for our wedding anniversary because the rooms looked unique and surprisingly CHEAP! We stayed in the Bridal Suite room and it was amazing. It had a huge jacuzzi tub in a big stone bathroom, a fireplace, and a huge bed for only $130/night!!! I couldn't belive it when they showed it to us. Most rooms for just your standard bed and tv and boring hotel look is more than that when you head to the coast. We loved the room and it felt private (though the place was admittedly not full when we stayed there).

The owners recommended some wonderful places for dinner that worked out well. The location is not in Florence. It's on the river about 15 miles away from the coast. It didn't feel bothersome to us, though, since we had been expecting that.

Breakfast was good, met some fun people who were also 'regulars' and came back every year. The female owner didn't say much, but the male was very polite and handed us everything and told us what it was. Everything tasted wonderfully and they were very good about remembering their returning guest's food allergies and made sure she had a variety of things to choose from...

So in response to some of the negative things I read,

They do give you a rundown of the 'rules' during your check in while they give you the tour. But I didn't find that offensive. This is their home afterall and I didn't feel like they were doing it in a condescending way at all.

I think the couple who runs it probably is very tired of doing it. I couldn't imagine doing that everyday, though they never specificially said they were tired when we were there as others had said.

And location wise, it IS out of town. So don't go here if you want to be on the beach....

BUT if you want a really unique room for a VERY reasonable price and good food, then I highly recommend their 'Bridal Suite' room!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple