“Not worth the money”

Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at many hotels up and down the oregon coast and this was the worst. It is not a resort by any means and very over priced. The view is nice- but you can get the same or nicer view at a better hotel. Not much to do in the area. The rooms are outdated (and we were in the 'remodeled' section). Kids yelling and running down the halls at night. Hard bed. Overcrowded and dirty pool. Thin walls and floors. No cell coverage. Really no wifi coverage. Nice staff. Overall we wouldn't stay here again unless we wanted to stay at a place that should cost $60 a night. If you are in a John Candy troubled family vacation comedy or like to let your kids run wild or like overpaying for a very average hotel- go for it.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 25 July 2014

All the rooms at this hotel have ocean view rooms with balcony or patio. Huge beach area for the kids and grassy area where they can run. The rooms are older, but looks like they have made a few upgrades. Microwave and refrigerator in room. Room was clean, however floors sounded really creeky There are not many hotels to choose from in this area, so if you are looking for ocean front this could work for you. No air conditioning so if it is hot you will need to keep sliding door open for breeze if you are in one of the upper rooms. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Didn't start off on the right foot. We arrived a little early, so I wasn't surprised that our room was not ready. The staff person did offer us a pool key and towels while we waited. She told us that cell service is spotty there (I had no service at all), so we could check back in about an hour. We decided to buy some groceries and did come back an hour later. At that time, she told us it would be maybe another 40 minutes. It was then that she explained, and I realized, that check-in isn't 4 pm it is 4 to 6 pm...bottom line, don't plan on checking in early.

Anyway, the manager overheard and my frustration must have been evident, because the manager upgraded us to a room that was ready, for no additional charge. Nice touch!

The room was very nice, modern and easily handled our party of 6. It was unfortunate that we were greeted with a mildly foul smell when we walked in. Our "nose-blindness" kicked in soon enough though.

Our AT&T and Sprint cell plans were non-functional, and the wi-fi barely ever worked (the hotel doesn't advertise it either though) so don't plan on communicating with the outside world very much while at the hotel.

The pool was outstanding! Heated main pool and children's pool, a brilliant "waterworks" play area, and a large spa. Open til midnight (last 2 hours adults only).

The proximity to the beach is also fantastic. We were on the bottom floor, so could step out our patio, and be almost immediately on the short gravel path to the sand. The trade-off was that at times it sounded like the ceiling was going to cave in due to the group above us. If I stay here again I think I might request top floor.

Room Tip: May want to request a top floor room due to the noise level that comes from floors above.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank aguman
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Has a 1 foot deep kiddie pool, 5 foot deep regular pool, a very large hot tub and a sprinkler play area all indoors. Also has an arcade room( 75 cents each). Right on the beach. Great location and lots of options. Rooms were very nice, kitchens are a great way to save money along with all the kid activities the kids should not be bored.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great location, amazing views, older looking small rooms. I asked at the front desk if they had any renovated rooms, they offered me one for an additional $10. The room was still older looking but the view from the room more than made up for it.

When I made the appointment, I specifically checked for wi-fi because we needed to work remotely. When we got there we realized not only did the wifi not work, we also had no cell reception at all! We ended up driving into town to work. When we asked front desk about the wifi, they admitted it was very weak and didn't work most of the time.

One other issue was the pool. While the facilities are great, I opted not to use it the first day of my stay, because it had SO many kids in it. I have no problems with kids but i just wanted some peace and quiet. I went back the next day and same thing. My husband started talking to a mother who had an infant in the pool with no diaper on, she said her apartment was being renovated and that she was staying there long term. No wonder the pool was so crowded - it's probably used everyday by same group of kids who stay there long term! They did offer adult only pool time 10pm to 12:00am, but I am usually in bed by 10:00pm. I did let the front desk know about the baby without a diaper in the pool and the hot tub as it's a major health risk and they said that they would send a security guard right away.

Overall, I think the hotel is fine as long as you don't mind having no wifi, no cell signals, and overcrowded pool area. The view alone was worth it for me!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location is the only one right on the beach in Florence. The kitchenettes are handy and the rooms are comfy with good beds. However, the thinnest of walls creates a situation in which noise is a major inconvenience. Big Foot and his family, in the room above us, had jumping jack contests, relays, etc. at all hours. The first time we called security advised them to calm down. That didn't last long. Outside corridors also invited noise: rolling suitcases, housekeeping carts, etc. Maybe I won't stay in Florence again. Housekeeping skipped us on day 2 even though we were staying over 3 days.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor so no one can dance on your head.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Driftwood Shores for a friend's wedding and were honestly not looking forward to it based on the reviews and online photos. Fortunately, it was far better than expected. The room was clean (except the dishes) and noise was not as much of a problem as we thought it would be. We were on the 3rd floor and above the lobby which helped, perhaps. There is no air conditioning, but we kept the patio door open which was nice for the breeze and sound of the waves. The cigarette smell would travel up into our room from the smokers below, but wasn't constant. It would be nice if all of the smoking rooms were in one portion of the property. The views were spectacular, the bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. Overall we had a pleasant, better than expected, stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Best Western Pier Point Inn
Adobe Resort
Adobe Resort
#5 of 11 in Yachats
Three Rivers Casino Resort

Been to Driftwood Shores Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!