“Poor service”

China Bay
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have been here once for lunch; we were the only ones in the place but it took a long time for the food; we then sat for a long time waiting for someone to check on us. The locals don't favor the place. We won't be back.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Wow, Never been so disappointed in Chinese food before. The egg rolls even smelled sour when they brought them to the table. Not good, Much better choices in town

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

We had lunch at china bay and found the food and service to be good. We had the two item lunch special. The chow mein was so fresh and yummy. The egg foo young was the best that I have ever had! We will go back.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Our party of 3 adults visited China Bay Restaurant around 7:30pm on a warm Friday night in late August. There were cars in the parking lot, but just one couple in the restaurant; I had the impression that this place might do much of its business in the separate bar lounge section. I was worried going in, but one of our party had eaten here in the past and assured me that the food was good. Other warning signs included an unattractive, confusing entryway with the main door leading to the lounge, and a nondescript side door leading to the restaurant. I was unsure what to make of the strange orange strings draped around landscaped areas like caution tape near the front door, and noticed an unfinished feeling to the entryway that looks disordered, like we'd caught them in mid-renovation. The restaurant was silent when we entered, with only one couple eating quietly in a far booth. Service was strange; in the absence of other customers, our host and the waitress seemed to hover over us and lunge out at odd moments. They apparently turned on the easy listening music only after we arrived, which somehow increased the awkward ambiance of the place. After we were served, the restaurant manager sat down at a dining table just six feet away from us, where she made and received several phone calls, speaking loudly and animatedly in what I presume was Chinese, and also taking other people's orders for carryout. It made me wish we had opted to carryout ourselves. We tried two chef's specialties and a senior-citizen combination meal. The food was all fresh tasting and well prepared; the vegetable blend was identical on both specialty dishes, which hadn't been clear from the menu, but the sauces were distinct, well-done and nicely complemented the meats. What surprised us most was the combination dinner from the senior menu, which we expected might be a very small portion because of the low price. What arrived was a hearty lunch-sized meal, quite a good value for the price. Our senior companion had ordered typical Americanized Chinese food like sweet-and-sour pork with pork-fried rice. The senior meal she ordered came with egg flower soup which was delicate, bright-tasting and not at all gelatinous; the sweet and sour pork was done in a light, crisp tempura batter, with a light, sweet, orange sauce that was not at all cloying or overwhelming. This sauce enhanced the delicately crisp, battered pork nicely. China Bay displayed some artistry in the kitchen--we've never seen simple sweet-and-sour pork done this well before. Despite the awkward service and unpleasant ambiance, China Bay provided very tasty Chinese food, which in hindsight might be best for take-away only.

1  Thank Bob K
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Recently they started to offer a Sunday "buffet" for $6.99 so I thought I'd try it. I put "buffet" in quotes since it consisted of about 8 double panned chafing dishes. Most of the items on the "buffet" were vegetable or chicken - no beef dishes and only one shrimp dish which was deep fried shrimp. They didn't keep the chafing dishes filled up with food and you had to as if you wanted more and the chef would bring out a "little more". People were asking for egg rolls and it took 30 minutes to get them out to the "buffet". I don't care much for fried rice so I asked for a bowl of steam rice only to find out when we got the bill they charged me $1.50 for the steamed rice. I don't mind paying extra for something but I like to be told there is a charge for it. I also felt since fried rice was all that was on the "buffet" they should give you the option of steamed rice for free. So my $6.99 "buffet" cost $8.50 and definitely not worth the price.
We've eaten here a number of times the past three years and I would recommend sticking to ordering off the menu. We've always had great food when doing so. If you are an Egg Foo Young fan - get that! They give you three large, thick patties and it is some of the best tasting patties we've ever had. Their Kung Pao dishes are very good too and we always had leftovers for the next day.
Their process are reasonable and paying a little more for a dinner is a much better deal than paying for the "buffet". I am rating this based on the menu food NOT the "buffet".

1  Thank gypsylady002a