“Exceptional”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Olympia, WA
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This small restaurant is exceptional. My wife and I had two meals there because we liked it so much. Another restaurant in Forest Grove had actually been recommended to us, but this place looked far better. Stecchino is a small family owned restaurant with fresh meals every night. The wine list is more than satisfactory and the price is appropriate given the meal. I would recommend it to any one traveling in the area.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank mjfoster

Forest Grove, Oregon
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Live only a few blocks away from this restaurant and decided to take my parents in for dinner. First they do not even have a high chair...come on this Forest Grove, not NYC or even the Pearl district in PDX. The waiter talked up the restaurant so much that it was very disappointing when the beef special my husband ordered came out burned on the bottom. My pasta dish was salty and gummy. The waiters (we had two different ones that night) never came and checked to see how we liked our food after it was served. Finally, don't order any cocktail from the bar...they couldn't even make a Long Island. I was so hoping this place would be a great find out here in FG but I don't think we will go back.

• Visited August 2013
Houston, Texas
“A True Gem”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stopped in Forest Grove as part of a "college road-trip." The desk clerk recommended this restaurant and my daughter and I went for dinner. We were stunned at how good the food was. The restaurant is small and unassuming with stellar food. Caesar salad -the best I've ever eaten. My daughter had a seafood pasta dish with perfectly cooked mussels and a broth that was out of this world. I had pork shoulder over mashed potatoes that was lean and absolutely delicious. The gelato was perfect. We each had 3 courses and I had wine and our bill was less than I have paid for entrees alone at some big city restaurants. We were told that all menu items are made onsite from whatever is being locally produced. I believe it. It would be great if my daughter decided to go to school here just so that I could eat at Stecchino's again!!

• Visited July 2013
Pacifc Northwest
“Just go!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was just like the pasta and the sauces my Italian grandfather made. Brought back great food memories. This will become a standard stop when pass thru Forest Grove.

• Visited March 2013
Seattle WA
“Artistic Italian French Crossover”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our group of 6 foodies from Seattle and Portland came away very impressed. We dined for 2 1/2 hours, enjoying all the courses. Our waiter framed the evening nicely with detailed descriptions, enthusiasm, and attentiveness. The portions were immense for main courses, lots of leftovers to take home. The sourcing of all fresh ingredients explains why the food tastes so good. The chef also knows how to do about everything, judging by all the items offered and about 9 daily specials. Be sure and order the bruschetta platter.

My wife's pork shoulder tasted a little too salty (brined?) to me. My fish was pretty well cooked, the side of vegetables was undistinguished. But the carrot soup was elegant, the caesar salad nailed it, and the desserts were worth trying. All in all, it provides a pretty exceptional value, as our check with 18% tip and one bottle of wine came to $44 per person. It's hard to find something this good in Seattle for that price!

The interior is pleasant (see my photo) and provides the 'bistro' atmosphere. I like that they've chosen a main street location in a historic storefront. Forest Grove needs things like this! How great to find an alternative to the Grand Lodge dining for those of us who stay there for wine touring.

It was surprisingly uncrowded on a weekend saturday night, Memorial Day weekend. I hope they make it.

• Visited May 2013