“Definitely unique! ”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Forest Grove
Prairie Village, Kansas
“Definitely unique! ”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night. After reading the reviews, we requested a room on the first floor and they were more than happy to accommodate.

Upon arrival, our room was pretty warm, but we opened the window and turned on the fan. We were leary of leaving the window open when we ledt, so we didnt but it does cool off pretty quick. Hung out at a couple of the places on property that evening and had a nice time. Tried the soaking pool in the morning and it was very relaxing!

The shower and toilet situation is very different. Not horrible but I don't think I'd want to do it for more than a few nights as getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom was a bit strange :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Zack B, Manager at McMenamins Grand Lodge, responded to this review, 12 October 2014
Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write a response about your stay, and if you have any other feedback please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks,
Zachary Barrer
Property Manger
Grand Lodge McMenamins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in two McMenamin's hotels and visited one other during a three week road trip in Washington and Oregon. This one followed the slightly kitsch, vintage theme but transplanted to a huge spread surrounded by gardens. Range of bars and restaurants with decent food and excellent beer. Service was friendly. Don't be put off by shared bathrooms - they are excellent and plentiful!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Gordon S, Manager at McMenamins Grand Lodge, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Janey your road trip sounds like it would have been a blast. Thank you on behalf of all the staff of the Grand Lodge for the glowing review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time. If you are ever in the Pacific Northwest please stop by another of our awesome properties.
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Not a typical hotel. More like a large guesthouse experience to stay and//or eat with family and friends. If you want typical hotel amenities (i.e, AC, TV, in-suite bathroom), stay down the street at Best Western or Forest Grove Inn. Thanks to those McMenamin boys the venerable Masonic orphanage/old folks home is a great spot for a lodge. The grounds with spacious lawns, landscaping and high hedges are a major asset. The décor with emphasis on artwork and history is something I like. Common sitting rooms and balconies are relaxing places to sit outside your room. Lots of events with bands and movies. Restaurants have pleasant settings both inside and outside on the lawn. Menu for dinner quite expensive. Not too many things caught my eye for breakfast and lunch, except for the dishes with feta (i.e, omlette, gyro).

The staff was generally fine. Seems much quieter and availability/pricing is much better Su-Wed. I would recommend a second floor queen. First floor is quite busy with traffic. The basement seems a bit buggy (spider, moth, etc) without open windows. Three recommendations to the management: active debugging in the basement and invest in fitted mattress covers and snug fitted sheets. The bed is a bit busy. Finally, suggest to guest that they remove their towels, soap, etc from the shower when they finish. It isn't a private bath!!!

Room Tip: Best bet; second floor queen, especially on the wings.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hello Van,
Thank you so much for your review. Your detailed description will help future guest gain a understanding on the unique nature of the Grand Lodge. I too enjoy the history of the almost 100 year old property. As a staff we will continue do everything we can to keep out the creepy crawly creatures along with persistent cleaning of the the common bathrooms. We will look forward to see you again in the future at our location or another historic McMenamins property.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you've never stayed at a McMenamins property before, there a couple of things to take note of. First off, the shared bathroom thing isn't as inconvenient as it sounds. The shared bathrooms offer privacy and are in proportionate supply. Second, note that neither the Grand Lodge nor Edgefield have central air. They have box fans in each room... and you'll want to use them.

That said, what this property may lack in modern amenities, it makes up for in character. Multiple bars and restaurants on the property. Live music, lawn games, and late night movies outdoors. The food is good and the drinks are easy to find with quirky bars around every corner.

Ruby's Spa offers massage services, hair and nails. Mallory is a whiz at an up-do!

We stayed for a wedding and it was the perfect venue. Think grown-up slumber party. We stayed the night before and the night after with a large group. We got dressed formally for the wedding, but this place is casual enough that we also spent some time in public in pajamas.

Great for fun... and not to be taken too seriously.

Room Tip: If you're there over a hot day, ask for a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Jenn I would like to extend my sincere thanks for your fun review. Watching the weddings this season has been so much fun for us at the Grand Lodge. Beautiful weather meet with spectacular weddings, live music and summer movies on the lawn make for a ton of fun. We value your stay and your time at our Lodge. Perhaps you can come back during another season. October is always fun as well as our New years Eve celebrations. Kuddos to your mention of the bathrooms. The more positive comments about them the lower the concern will become for future guest. Take care and thanks again.
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I came here with some friends from the area and really enjoyed it! I'm not really much of a bar guy, but I enjoyed the fact that you could something from one bar in the lodge and walk around with it anywhere else on the site. We spent most of our time in the "Doctor's Office" bar which had a shuffleboard table and pool and I had a great time.

We also ate at the restaurant, which I believe was the Iron Grill, and I really enjoyed the food. I had some kind of Canadian pizza that was very good. The prices were a bit high, but I enjoyed the food.

I also enjoyed the artwork and general atmosphere of the place. I did not stay overnight, but I would definitely like to come back for a short stay some time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Zack B, Manager at McMenamins Grand Lodge, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Brian,

thanks for taking the time to say some nice things about us. Please visit us again soon!

thanks,
Zachary Barrer
Property Manager
Grand Lodge McMenamins
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was here with a party of six, kids and adults. We all universally loved this place. For the kids, the disc golf was a hit. For the adults, having a freshly crafted boysenberry ale while on the frisbee golf course was a hit. :).

The original art work was really unique, and made for a great walk around the hotel. The free tour of the lavender lady room (self guided, to look for the ghost) was also quite a hit.

We had a room with shared bath Nd a room with private. Both were Greta. The shared bathes really nice, with marble, and I never saw anyone else in there.

We liked the Japanese style smoking pool as well. Very relaxing!

The grounds were beautiful, the food was decent, and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Shared bath is a reasonable option, and the shared baths are convenient and liberally sprinkled thro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angewaa
I really enjoyed reading your review. You captured perfectly several of the reasons of why like the Grand Lodge so much. I think the McMenamins have a hit on their hands at the Grand Lodge with all the activities along with the history and captivating artwork. They put a fun spin on so many thing. Keep your eye on the company as we will continue to impress. Thank you for your time and considerate review it is gratifying to read.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This isn't your typical chain hotel. The Grand Lodge is a great place to unwind, enjoy the spa, bar hop without having to drive anywhere, and then go back to a decent room.

I love the "made over" concept of the McMenamin's brand. They took a beautiful masonic lodge and turned it into a fun campus with a spa, soaking pool (like a hot tub but a touch cooler), little places to hang out with friends, disc golf, and more. The beer is incredible, and I love the food. There really is no reason to leave the grounds.

The rooms may not be for everyone, but I find this to be charming. They are small without a television or bathroom. There is a sink, and then you grab your towel and go across the hall for a shower. Because the building is old, it smells a little musty, and my room had a fan, but no AC. The bed was comfortable enough (although I could have used more pillows), the amenities are a nice quality, and the towels were big. I love the robe and could have used some slippers as well.

I was initially concerned about the noise since my room was right next to Doc's Bar, but they shut the doors to the bar and put up signs regarding guests sleeping. I found it to be no noisier than a typical hotel.

I didn't have problems with service, as mentioned in the other reviews. The people at check in were helpful and all the bartenders and staff were very nice and expedient.

Room Tip: If you have ANY issue with noise, make it known during check in, and they will try and find the most...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cyanhead
Gordon S, Manager at McMenamins Grand Lodge, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hello Cyanhead,

First off I want to thank you for the review of the McMenamins GL in Forest Grove. It is so wonderful to hear you have been at several of our locations where you could immerse yourself in the rich artwork, history and unique qualities of each pub, brewery or hotel. Your continued loyalty to McMenamins is greatly appreciated. I know I speak for all staff when I say thank you. At the Grand Lodge we will continue to strive to make every guest stay the best it can be. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forest Grove
Residence Inn Portland Hillsboro/Brookwood
Larkspur Landing Hillsboro
Larkspur Landing Hillsboro
#6 of 19 in Hillsboro

Been to McMenamins Grand Lodge? Share your experiences!