“Blast From the Past”
Review of Wilson's Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Klamath
Wilson's Cottages
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Wilson's Cottages is the perfect way to spend a family vacation away from the chaos of city life. The cottages are modest but very clean, pine soap and clean towels were the first things I noticed. Be forewarned that the geographical area is comprised of volcanic ash so if you track it into your cottage it will be because of you! There is no TV or WiFi because the setting is in the middle of the woods. You will not miss these those since the peace and tranquility make up for all the technology. The staff was very helpful and friendly, giving us a brief history of the property while checking us in. All in all it was a very fun experience, one we will be enjoying again in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank May D

Reviewed 22 August 2011

The cottages are about 7 miles northwest of Ft. Klamath, OR. They were built in the 30's and the owner has retained as much as that old style as possible. If you want the luxury and all the conveniences of a modern motel, don't stay. If you like the older look and feel and the nostalgia and quaintness that goes with it, give it a try. The beds were comfortable. Some mentioned the lack of hot water, but I didn't have that problem and I like hot showers. I did need to let it run for 3 minutes or so for it to get hot and use almost all hot water but it was plenty hot for me. Also, the "stove" was closer to a Coleman two burner propane stove than a conventional home stove, so be aware that you probably won't be cooking a fancy gourmet meal from scratch. I brought my own pre-cooked, homemade meals and it worked fine, although I did cook breakfast without a problem. They have grill outside the cabin, also. The refrigerator was the small kind seen in a typical motel or dorm room. They supply pots and pans, silverware, plates, etc--you pick these things up at the office and bring them back to your room in a crate! Quirky, but it fits in with the rest of the place. Also, the place is incredibly quiet...almost deafeningly so--so if you want quiet, this is definitely the right place for you to spend a few days. The place was typically clean, although the bathroom floor could have used a washing, although it didn't appear to--I dropped some sunscreen on the floor and wiped it up and the kleenex I used to wipe it with was dirty. I would definitely stay again. I liked it. They only take cash or checks...no credit cards.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2011

If you've read bad reviews of Wilson's Cottages, then they are simply from folks who somehow expected a hotel experience just outside of a secluded national park. If you are looking for a couple of cozy notches above a camping experience that includes a bed, a kitchen, and a shower, then this is your place.
The cottages were hand-built with lumber from the property by the Wilson brothers in 1937. I would call the cabins modest - not rustic. My cabin had a separate bedroom with a double bed, vanity, and closet. Outside the bedroom was a kitchen with a small gas range, microwave, and sink. (Any kitchen equipment you'll need is provided to you at the front desk). There was a kitchen table and even a couch to enjoy some conversation with your cook. The bathroom has it all - a shower/tub, sink, and toilet (many have reviewed that there is no hot water, however, you just have to let the water run for a bit - remember, this IS a camp). So, you see, you've got all your basics. Although there is a weak wifi connection, there is no tv, so get ready for a relaxing evening bike ride by the cow pastures, or snuggle with your book by the oil heater (THAT was my favorite feature). If you know what to expect, you'll find this place charming, cozy, and a step back to the past.
The front office was friendly and helpful and I will most definitely go back when there is too much snow on the ground to camp in the park. **TIP** You have to pay by check, so make sure to bring one!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank rsirwin2
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed here because it was the only thing we could find with vacancy. The price was amazing. I think it was about $100 for a 2 bdrm cottage with a garage. On check in we were asked if we wanted coffee for in the morning. We are both coffee drinkers so we said yes. I was then handed a milk crate with a coffee pot and a paper cup filled with coffee. He asked if I wanted creamer and sugar and i said yes thinking i would get pkts but instead he poured them into another paper cup and put a lid on it... kind of odd but ok.

We got there and we were starving so we tried to find something to eat in Fort Kalamath but no luck. We went back toward Crater Lake and ate at the buffet which was good.
We got a bottle of wine from the gift shop and headed back to the cottages. Once we got back I realized there was no wine opener so being crafty I got it out with a spoon!
The Cottage itself was actually pretty nice but really spooky. And we couldnt do much exploring outside since it was dark already. There is a dining table and a little couch which was very old and uncomfortable. My 15 year old niece was so freaked out by the old cottage and noises that we all slept in the same bed. There is no tv which I'm sure some dont mind but we wanted to watch TV and relax after a long day of traveling.
Next time we will probably drive a little farthur to find something nicer.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Marcie2222
Reviewed 9 August 2010

these cottages are more like cabins - very rustic ones. not so clean (we wiped up a spill on the floor and the paper towel was thick with dusty grime). we all loved the setting, unfortunately the CRAZY amount of mosquitos ALL DAY in the crater lake area kept us from enjoying it. very peaceful, plenty of dishes/pans to borrow. the cabin we had did not really have a nice couch to sit on and relax for the four of us. would have preferred a bigger lounging area. i would recommend this place to only to people who have low standards of cleanliness only - camper types.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2010

A throw back from a more than a few decades ago. We rented 2 of the larger cottages, one of which had a large kitchen area and used that as our base for the extended family on the way to Crater Lake. If you are looking for a holiday inn, this is not your kind of place. If you want something with some character you will be right at home.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2010

These "cottages" really felt more like cabins. I loved my stay there. Cute, warm and cozy. You can borrow games from the office too. Only drawback was the short lived amount of hot water when we showered!!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Chiloquin
Rocky Point Resort
Rocky Point Resort
#3 of 6 in Klamath Falls

Been to Wilson's Cottages? Share your experiences!