“A jewel in the wilderness”
Review of RJ's

RJ's
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Fossil
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Fossil
“A jewel in the wilderness”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've know the owner's of R.J. Rich and Jana for years. When they took over the old city building and began a remodel my thoughts were "how can anyone build a quality restaurant in a town of 420 and survive". Jana is perhaps the hardest working person I've ever known. Yet, she provides service in a service industry that rivals the finest restaurants in Portland. Granted, there have been times, especially special events in the area, where she is overwhelmed. (Tough Mudders 2013) when 9000 people come to town, but considering I believe she does extremely well. How does she do this? She has a limited menu but everything on the menu is prepared very well. When she does specials they are often things not on the menu and are not the leftovers at the end of the month but special treats of the day. She installed a grill and does steaks, and prime rib to perfection. I would be remiss if I didn't mention her valentine's day special. Cold water lobster tail and T-bone steak. Tender, delicious, cooked to perfection. great waitress (Lisa). Jana (owner) present and checking with customers to make sure they got great food and great service. Made the bar "romantic" for my wife and I and friends.

• Visited March 2014

Houston, Texas
“An Excellent Steak Dinner”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We had a family dinner in the twon where my Dad was born. RJ's is a new place since the last time we were in Fossil. The food was excellent and we all had different entrees, plus our salads were fresh. Our window seats provided a nice view of the streetlife of a small town, and the dog of one of the patrons stayed patiently outside, waiting for his steakbone.

We appreciated the Wi-Fi too, since my AT&T cell phone won't work in Fossil (it's a Verizon town), but I was able to make Skype call on my iPhone with Wi-Fi.

• Visited September 2013
Portland, OR
“Cattle Country Steak”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Not much from the outside, but service was great and my Flatiron Steak melted in my mouth. My wife had the clam chowder (in Fossil, OR?) and it was delicious.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Small Town Food Tastes Better!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

There's something about eating in a small dinner in a town of 400 that just makes it all taste better. RJs was terrific. I had a traditional old-fashioned burger, and my friend had a Philly steak sandwich, both of us had fries and beers. After a long day of driving, this was welcome, tasty eating at its affordable best. Strongly recommended, if you ever make it to the charming town of Fossil, Oregon!

• Visited August 2013
utah
“RJS is quite good”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is a standard American style cafe with the usual menu items. It seemed to us that the food was well prepared, moderate in price, and service was excellent. We were well pleased with all our meals here over a three day visit.

Visited July 2013