“The best biscuits. Ever.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fossil
Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Fossil B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“The best biscuits. Ever.”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The atmosphere is nice and laid back, the property is beautiful, the bed is comfortable. The room is very clean. There are some inconveniences like having to go downstairs to use the bathroom, and the kitchen is made to be so Off Limits to guests that I was kind of afraid to even pass through it. There is plenty of coffee in the morning, breakfast is good - not gourmet, but tasty (especially the biscuits) and filling. I maintain, however, that 8:00AM is too early for breakfast during vacation. Overall I'd recommend it, especially since your options are limited in that area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank NICOLEandJACOB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I took my niece to the wilson ranch to ride horses. Everyone there fulfilled her dreams, it was a week-end we will never forget. Phil, Nancy and their family made us fill all cozy and welcome. Thanks

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank paulac123_11
Portland, OR
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Wheat fields as far as the eye can see, skies as big as the universe and a peace and quiet found few places in today's modern world all make the Wilson Ranches Bed & Breakfast a real treat. Add to this no cell phone coverage (at least with AT&T) and you have the perfect romantic getaway. Perhaps the best feature of this remarkable B&B is the people you meet there. A map of the world hangs on the wall with push pins indicating visitors' origin. For 15 years, people have been coming from all over the globe -- Australia, Russia, Argentina, China -- they have come from almost every country. Most, of course, are on their way to visit the Fossil Beds in John Day, but if you never got past the ranch, you could at least say that you had a western experience. The rooms aren't plush or luxurious. They are clean and serviceable. Shared bathrooms sometimes requires a little bit of patience. But it is all worth it. Breathe in clean, fresh, crisp air. Watch the night fill with a gazillion stars. Wake up to birds singing and cattle lowing. It doesn't get much better than this.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Candee W
Northern California
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My travel companions and I elected not to stay at some lodgings in the town of Fossil. A kind local citizen happened to notice our distress and she offered her assistance. She even called the ranch for us. It is a beautiful, working cattle ranch. The rooms are small, but the furnishings are comfortable and the place was immaculate. There was good reading matter and a homey living area. It was great to wake up to the birds singing in the meadows. The Wilsons put out a great breakfast with good conversation. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank camperkat
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I'm a world traveler who has been to plenty of five-star places whose names you'd recognize. I'm my book, the Wilson place is one of the very best anywhere. True, it's not high luxury: It's a 1910 Sears catalog house, well-kept and clean as a whistle. But it's not a "boarding house," as one reviewer put it. Think of it as your very favorite relative's place out in the country. It really, really hits the spot for me.

What makes it so great? The right location, the real ranch feel, the silence the stars,
and above all the folks who run it. Been here three times now, and we'll be back again and again. The one comment about Nancy Wilson having "lied," well, all I can say is that it just can't be true. If they do this just as a business, they hide it well. The Wilsons are the sort of folks who make you smile to know 'em.

Wheeler County, Oregon's scenery is unique and fantastic. If you go there, try to book two or three nights. Better than any blood pressure pills I've ever heard of. And breakfast is great. I realize this review is so effusive that people might wonder if I've got an extra incentive of some sort, but I don't. If I didn't like it, I'd say so.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank ITravelandEat
Kennewik, Wa
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We have an "empty nesters" group of 6 adults that stayed here over President's Day weekend. No one was there to greet us, we walked through the door and found notes personally addressed to each couple. My wife and I had the Homestead room all to ourselves. It had a king, a queen, a double and a foldout double. Wow! We only used the King. Monstruous fireplace with an abundance of chopped fire wood right outside the door. Phil and Nancy weren't there, but the subs did admirably with a farm style breakfast both mornings, and pleasant conversation. We made brief excursions into Fossil, but it was freezing cold, so our most popular past time was playing cards in the Homestead room beside a roaring, constantly stoked fire. They actually had satellite TV, but who wanted to break the mood? Went to sleep to the flickering firelight and the sound of owls hooting outside. Definitely worth a revisit when there is no snow. Oh, by the way, we went into town (all of 3 miles away) for dinner at RJ's and I ate a prime rib as big as my head for under $10. My wife had halibut (what? this far inland?) and said it was great.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Djaymccain
Versailles, France
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Though we got off to a strange start trying to book rooms via e-mail which proved to be difficult, we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. I was not surprised that there would be no one there upon arrival and didn't mind. The instructions left on the desk were perfect and it was possible to call Nancy who gave useful information about dinner in Fossil.
Perfect silence, idyllic even, though when you sleep in the basement, you will hear steps above and a creaking ceiling which is... oops... scary! Both basement rooms are big, one of them is huge and well furnished, if a little worn.
The highlight is breakfast. 1° it's really good and 2° Phil and Nancy are fantastic hosts.
My only regret: not having had time to ride for the first time in my life to see the ranch. On the whole, a wonderful experience in a magnificent part of Oregon.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Frenchie29

Been to Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!