“Fool Me Once Shame On You, Fool Me Twice Shame on Me” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fossil
Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Fossil B&B and Inns
Arlington, Washington
“Fool Me Once Shame On You, Fool Me Twice Shame on Me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

I planned a trip for my 65 birthday vacation retreat, my plan was to drive south to Nevada, visit a friend then back up through Oregon, stay at the Oregon Caves national monument, then to the Wilson ranch for a ride and a nights rest, then after their special breakfast, (which I was looking forward to), head for Mt Saint Helens.
I called and talked to the owner and was assured of a place to stay. For some unknown reason when I traveled into Oregon my phone refused to connect, but since I had talked directly to the owner of Wilson Ranch I was not concerned about my reservation.
Upon returning to Oregon and expecting to have a room, by the way, where no other option for rooms existed, my phone became operational and I called the ranch. Well guess what. Some how, the owner, blaming others, left me a message that the room was sold out from under me, No wait, not the first room, but the second room also. Well fool me once, shame on you, the second time, well she blamed her help, that’s where the fool me twice should have been shame on me, but in this case this woman lied to me. Shame on her.
There is no place to stay on short notice in this area, I was totally screwed. I would have accepted a place in a barn. I drove to The Dalles Oregon for a room, arrived there at 9:00 PM hungry tired. After my phone picked up signal I had my daughter find a place for me to stay. It was a tough night on my birthday.
The first time missing a room by a internet coincident, I can understand. The second time I believe the owner lied to me and sold the room out from under me.
Thank you Nancy for (--) up my birthday.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank Luetner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mill Creek, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

At first glance, it just another nice looking ranch (and it is a real working cattle ranch), but looks are deceiving. You won't find a hot tub or free wireless internet access, but that is not what you are looking for when you come here. What you will find are clean (very very clean - I was impressed - more clean than a lot of hotels we stayed in), comfortable and quiet rooms, witty humor (check out the house rules - great stuff), and hosts that treat you like family. Breakfast is at 8, and everyone eats together at one big table - and its a great big breakfast - you won't need to eat again for a while (I didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day). Phil and Nancy provided fun and funny stories of ranch life, and even included one about the time Phil got bitten by a rattle snake.

All in all an excellent experience and well worth the trip. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ejbianchi
Oregon City, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast and my husband was not too thrilled with the idea. We came with our 10 year old grand-daughter and she was hopeful to say the least. Once we found the place, we were thinking, "Gee this is kind of a small place", but we went in and found our rooms and they were spacious, homey and decorated very "countryish". The outside was deceptive. They have quite a bit of room inside this place. From the moment we set foot inside the door, everthing went wonderfully well. We slept well, we ate well (best breakfast I had eaten in ages!), we saw tons of deer in the meadows and a beautiful sunset and full moon that evening. The hosts, Phil and Nancy, are truly what puts this place up the extra notch to an A Plus. They are the nicest people and really do make you feel at home. I really want to go back and bring some friends or more family members so that they can enjoy this great ranch experience, yoo. You expect to see Roy and Dale and Trigger to come riding up the trail when you are there. This time we are going to stay a little longer. One day doesn't even give you enough time to enjoy everything. Three days would be best. . Oh, forgot to add that my husband loved it and so did my grand-daughter.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank grammatutu
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

What a great place to experience Oregon ranch life. So what if we didn’t have to do anything other than pretend to be cowboys and girls? It was a fun experience shared with warm hosts and interesting guests. We had booked the Frontier room but were upgraded to the Hideout as it was vacant the night we were there. Aside from having the entire upper floor of the house to ourselves, this meant we had a separate entrance via a staircase to the outdoors as well as an interior staircase to our private bathroom on the main floor.

We were welcomed on arrival by Nancy, but as she and husband Phil were off to Portland early the next morning, daughter Kara and son-in-law Brian took care of us, with Kara looking after the administrative end and telling us about local history and Brian doing duty in the kitchen and later being our guide on a horseback ride. The breakfast, eaten family style, was impressive: porridge, bacon, scrambled eggs, muffins, fruit, fruit juice and coffee. My husband and I were the only guests on the morning ride. We had hoped to take part in moving cattle (having read about that on Tripadvisor), but the cattle were already in their summer pasture, so we simply rode for two hours in the high desert above Fossil – pretty wildflowers, lovely views, and we got to see a coyote and some deer. (Don’t worry if you don’t have suitable boots for riding. The ranch will lend you a pair. They have a big selection in adult and kid sizes.)

We also liked the nearby town of Fossil, though not much was open when we were there (not sure if it was Monday closing or the fact that it was the Fourth of July weekend). We had a pleasant, casual dinner at the Big Timbers Restaurant, and I loved browsing around Fossil Mercantile, which stocks everything from groceries to hardware to bolts of fabric, all items arranged in the neatest, most dust-free rows imaginable. On top of that, you’ll see more wildlife there than in the surrounding area (wilddeath would actually be more accurate, since all the moose, elk, pronghorn, etc., that you wander amidst have been shot and stuffed).

Fossil is near the Clarno unit of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, our primary reason for visiting the area (we had already been to the two other units). Climb the trails around the palisades and you’ll find some interesting leaf mold fossils. It’s astonishing how fresh they look considering their age.

This is a lovely area, and Wilson Ranches makes a great base for touring. If you can't find the place and need to ask in town for directions, don't ask for Butte Creek Road. Tell people you're looking for the Wilsons.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tripsterchick
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

We had a marvellous 3 night stay on the Wilson ranch during our trip through the Pacific North West. A different hearty breakfast each morning at 8 o'clock sharp with ranchers Phil & Nancy delivered us great new contacts with other residents and created an amicable atmosphere. I went out on my first horsebackriding adventure - surprisingly easy - and immediately booked a second one. Amazing landscape to wonder through and always that thrilling threat of possible predators: rattlers, cougars etc.
The Painted Hills are only one of the many mustsee attractions in the area.
Good basic food at RJ's in downtown Fossil!
Wilson Ranches Retreat was certainly the highlight of our 3 week journey from San Francisco to Seattle.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Marc-VdC
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

My wife and I have been together for 20 years. With school and then children this was our first true vacation. I can not believe that we were this lucky. Nancy and Phil are the nicest people and make you feel at home. The house breeds interaction and conversation amongst guests. We have already planned next years trip and will bring the kids. I have NEVER relaxed on a vacation until I got here. I am a type A person and was demoted to a B- at best.
Everyone from owner to helper and guest will do what ever it take to make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eharrsen
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Phil and Nancy make the ranch one of my favorite get aways in the summer.
The down home feeling, great food and quiet setting at such an affordable price is a must try.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Buz4564

Been to Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!